This discussion is closed.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Climate & Environment

We need to recognise that there is a climate crisis to deal with together, and that the Liberal Democrats are the best party in the House to do something about it.

We are going to freeze rail prices to encourage public transport usage, enforce strict new environmental guidelines on corporations in return for tax incentives and add charges to disposable plastic cups in a similar vein to the successful plastic bag charge.

This is only the start however, as the Liberal Democrats will keep working to reduce fossil fuel consumption of our nation, being the only party you can trust to work with the EU in order for them to do the same as us for a wider, global impact. For the sake of our planet and the futures of our loved ones, it is time that we take action.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999:

We will introduce more regulations on waste exportation to prevent downstream pollution and to prevent waste from going to countries like China, for example where it's burned increasing the levels of CO2.

Posted on behalf of CatusStarbright:

I of course acknowledge that climate change is real and that it is a problem that we face here and now. The problem is that it is a global issue, one that we cannot solve by ourselves.

Of course, we can make steps in the right direction by ourselves. As I said in the last question response, I would like the UK to move towards cleaner energy sources. I would also like to try and boost the recycling and re-using of textiles, which take a long time to decompose and are difficult to handle in terms of waste disposal.

I think that consumers, our wonderful British citizens, have already been taking the right steps themselves in encouraging and supporting businesses which have abandoned plastic straws, have dedicated to using less packaging, etc. I believe that in the end, a lot of the smaller changes like this are going to end up being consumer-driven and the legislative will have to follow their lead. For example, there could be a charge imposed on disposable cups, like the carrier bag charge introduced buy the coalition government.

What I would also like to look into is how the government can facilitate activities such as clothing hiring shops, and other such organisations/businesses whose object is to reduce waste and tackle consumer society. I also think tree-planting initiatives need to be supported.

On an international level, naturally tackling climate change becomes more difficult, especially since it is developing and heavily industrial countries that are the biggest drivers of climate change and pollution in the world. The solutions to this could be to use foreign aid to help moves to more renewable energies, e.g. helping to build hydroelectric dams as we have done in the past. We could also perhaps provide trade benefits for those countries committed to tackling their carbon emissions.

In short, this is a complex issue which will require multifaceted and creative solutions.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We believe in human-induced climate change and the need for us to do something about it. We are committed to making our country carbon-neutral by 2050. We will also approve an energy link between Iceland and the UK, and Iceland produces power using thermal energy sources, meaning we can combat climate change that way as well. From the above, you can also see the many requirements for buildings in the future to be energy efficient and using renewable energy.

On the broader topic of the environment, these are our additional policies:

1. Plastic waste has been a major issue raised in recent years, and we will support plastic recycling by encouraging businesses to use recycled plastic and plastic that can be recycled. There will also be support for landfills to identify recyclable plastic from general trash.

2. Bees are essential to the environment and they are dying at an alarming rate. We will ban bee-harming pesticides by the end of next year, with the introduction of a 25% tax on the use of all artificial pesticides post 2027 and a complete ban in 2037.

3. Additionally, there will be a Coffee Cup Surcharge to encourage people to bring their own cups instead of using single-use cups.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Time for the first question.

1. What are your plans for the NHS?

Baron of Sealand
CatusStarbright
TheRadishPrince
Aph
barnetlad
SoggyCabbages
Mr T 999
JMR2019.
We will add £26 billion of funding into the NHS. Scrapping PFIs and any privatisation of the health care service. This money will be used to revitalise the whole health care service and make it fit for the 21st century Britain with an ageing population
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999:

We will introduce more regulations on waste exportation to prevent downstream pollution and to prevent waste from going to countries like China, for example where it's burned increasing the levels of CO2.

I of course acknowledge that climate change is real and that it is a problem that we face here and now. The problem is that it is a global issue, one that we cannot solve by ourselves.

Of course, we can make steps in the right direction by ourselves. As I said in the last question response, I would like the UK to move towards cleaner energy sources. I would also like to try and boost the recycling and re-using of textiles, which take a long time to decompose and are difficult to handle in terms of waste disposal.

I think that consumers, our wonderful British citizens, have already been taking the right steps themselves in encouraging and supporting businesses which have abandoned plastic straws, have dedicated to using less packaging, etc. I believe that in the end, a lot of the smaller changes like this are going to end up being consumer-driven and the legislative will have to follow their lead. For example, there could be a charge imposed on disposable cups, like the carrier bag charge introduced buy the coalition government.

What I would also like to look into is how the government can facilitate activities such as clothing hiring shops, and other such organisations/businesses whose object is to reduce waste and tackle consumer society. I also think tree-planting initiatives need to be supported.

On an international level, naturally tackling climate change becomes more difficult, especially since it is developing and heavily industrial countries that are the biggest drivers of climate change and pollution in the world. The solutions to this could be to use foreign aid to help moves to more renewable energies, e.g. helping to build hydroelectric dams as we have done in the past. We could also perhaps provide trade benefits for those countries committed to tackling their carbon emissions.

In short, this is a complex issue which will require multifaceted and creative solutions.
China no longer takes trash so this time the Libbers are repeating an old rhetoric.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
2.How do you intend to deal with the Brexit issue?

Aph
Baron of Sealand
CatusStarbright
barnetlad
TheRadishPrince
Mr T 999
SoggyCabbages
JMR2019.
We will accept the arrangement decided by the RL Parliament
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is your stance on climate change and how do you intend to deal with it?

As I stated in my opening remarks, there is a climate emergency.

We see the impacts in this country when places are flooded, when temperature records are broken, but in many countries around the world the impact is not just damage but whole livelihoods destroyed and deaths. My manifesto contains the actions both local and national and beyond, so to remind everyone, they are:

Be carbon neutral by 2030.
Increase renewables to 70% of all energy by 2025- more wind power, solar energy.
More insulation.
End fossil fuel use by 2035.
Plant trees or hedges on 5% or more of all large landholdings.
Stop paving over of gardens.
Reduce red meat consumption by a third by 2030.

Transport for all, not harming anyone.
No new diesel taxis/minicabs, phase out in five years.
A separate driving test for large ‘Chelsea tractor’ cars.
No third runway at Heathrow.
Electrify railways, back in public ownership, locally managed wherever possible.
No non-electric company cars by 2025.

And:
Overseas aid at 0.7% of GDP- use aid better not end it.
Incentivise modernisation and energy efficiency in the planning system.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
What is your stance on climate change and how do you intend to deal with it?

As I stated in my opening remarks, there is a climate emergency.

We see the impacts in this country when places are flooded, when temperature records are broken, but in many countries around the world the impact is not just damage but whole livelihoods destroyed and deaths. My manifesto contains the actions both local and national and beyond, so to remind everyone, they are:

Be carbon neutral by 2030.
Increase renewables to 70% of all energy by 2025- more wind power, solar energy.
More insulation.
End fossil fuel use by 2035.
Plant trees or hedges on 5% or more of all large landholdings.
Stop paving over of gardens.
Reduce red meat consumption by a third by 2030.

Transport for all, not harming anyone.
No new diesel taxis/minicabs, phase out in five years.
A separate driving test for large ‘Chelsea tractor’ cars.
No third runway at Heathrow.
Electrify railways, back in public ownership, locally managed wherever possible.
No non-electric company cars by 2025.

And:
Overseas aid at 0.7% of GDP- use aid better not end it.
Incentivise modernisation and energy efficiency in the planning system.
How do you plan on using the aid for the environment?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
How do you plan on using the aid for the environment?
Aid can help repair the damage from extreme weather events, or enable flood defences to be built, for example. One project that I know has been supported by the UK government in recent years by match funding charity donations was in Sierra Leone, where land previously used for mining and damaged was brought back to use so food could be grown locally. Not only providing food and an income, but such projects reduce the need for food to be trucked longer distances.

Charities often work on the ground and can be the most effective way of delivering aid.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Aid can help repair the damage from extreme weather events, or enable flood defences to be built, for example. One project that I know has been supported by the UK government in recent years by match funding charity donations was in Sierra Leone, where land previously used for mining and damaged was brought back to use so food could be grown locally. Not only providing food and an income, but such projects reduce the need for food to be trucked longer distances.

Charities often work on the ground and can be the most effective way of delivering aid.
But how does any of these actually save the environment?
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 2 months ago
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

But who does any of these actually save the environment?
Yes if it saves on emissions, or on having to take on work which includes things with impacts such as deforestation.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes if it saves on emissions, or on having to take on work which includes things with impacts such as deforestation.
Can they not be done via regular charities?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There is a lot that can and should be done to educate people about the impacts of climate change and the actions. I welcome the proposals made by the parties on plastic as an example.

I think that some events that lead to single or little use of clothing must be discouraged. American style proms in schools and Christmas jumpers may seem like fun, but these are clothes often little used, and sometimes containing harmful plastic such as in glitter.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can they not be done via regular charities?
They should be done via regular charities with match funding for some via government. The 2010 coalition government committed to 0.7% of GDP in overseas aid and I support its continuation.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There is a lot that can and should be done to educate people about the impacts of climate change and the actions. I welcome the proposals made by the parties on plastic as an example.

I think that some events that lead to single or little use of clothing must be discouraged. American style proms in schools and Christmas jumpers may seem like fun, but these are clothes often little used, and sometimes containing harmful plastic such as in glitter.
So you want to take away all the fun things people do?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
5. How do you intend to deal with poverty and inequality in this country?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We believe the best way to deal with poverty is to make sure that everyone is able to work. This is why we are pledging to improve our economy as stated above. You can also see our plans to deal with homelessness in the infrastructure plans above. In addition, we will help rough sleepers go home if they have one far from the city centre, by establishing teams of volunteers.

With regards to inequality, we believe social mobility can be improved with a better education system. These are some of our policies on education:

1. There will be greater flexibility with tuition fees, with caps removed for the best-performing universities. At the moment, the costs for all universities are roughly the same, regardless of their graduate outcomes or student satisfaction scores. It affects the very best institutions by limiting the amount they can receive to in turn spend on students, and also the students, who attend courses without good returns at the end of it.

2. A more competitive market will allow prospective students to have more options. For example, a student who does not have an excellent academic record will be able to select a university that may not have the best career prospects, but also much cheaper to study at.

3. Poorly-performing universities, which do not have an acceptable return between the costs of a degree and the earnings after it, will be privatized if they are unable to improve the situation in five years.

4. Work will begin to digitalize books in our public libraries, and to close to those that are underused.

5. DBS will be made automatic, with a requirement to state one’s institution or the institution applying to, and an immediate flagging to the employer.

6. We will allow the expansion of free schools, including conversion of current schools. We will permit selective entry requirements.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Poverty and Inequality

We have been gripped by poverty and vast levels of income inequality in our country for too long, and we plan to change this.

Firstly we will be tackling this at the root through educational reforms to allow more free childcare for struggling parents as well as a better focus on computer programming for students of all backgrounds (a very lucrative career path), and a reformed PHSE course that works better for the student.

The next steps need to come at adulthood for those already past educational age. We will introduce an Empty Homes Tax only impacting those owning homes that are not lived in in order to directly invest this money into the housing sector to provide more affordable, accessable housing for those who need it. We also plan to freeze rail fares as I previously mentioned to allow more opportunities for less well off individuals to commute to better-paying jobs. On top of this we will introduce a frequent flyers tax for those who travel by plane the most, investing this money to lower air travel costs for those taking less flights a year.

We also naturally support our amazing NHS going forward to make sure that the poor are not left to suffer, unable to access the same quality of healthcare under a privatised system.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

So you want to take away all the fun things people do?
Not all of them. American style proms are something we should not import in any case. They are based around the presumption of heterosexual couples, and those with a reasonable income, so unfair to those on a low income and/or those who are LGBT, in my opinion.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Posted on behalf on Mr T 999:

One of the best ways to reduce poverty is to increase people's income this is achieved through tax cuts. We will reduce the tax gap by introducing a flat tax which will close many loopholes in the system and will put more money into people's pockets.

This question covers a lot of elements, so I’ll attempt to break it down and answer it that way:
Poverty
I think a key thing which can relieve struggling families is to reduce the waiting time for Universal Credit. This is often cited as something which really drives hardship and is something that would be simple to fix.
I would also try to encourage private charity to help those in poverty, as they can do a lot of good at a local level without the bureaucracy of governmental provision. For example, measures could be introduced to facilitate the setting up of food banks (a grant perhaps), and supermarkets could be encouraged to donate their nearly-out-of-date food to charities, or even to give it away themselves at the entrance to the shop.
Aside from those immediate, localised measures, the best thing that a government can do in the grander scheme of things is to generate jobs and ensure that children get the education they need to be able to get into work. This can be through offering apprentice schemes (which have flourished in recent years thanks to the work of government) and through ensuring the national curriculum is fit for purpose.
As well as committing to ensuring these things continue, I will deal with poverty by committing to ensuring there is adequate library provision across the country, to help with literacy and to permit communities a place where they can get free access to the internet and low-cost printing facilities. This can all help those living on the poverty line to educate their children and to get them not jobs by providing the facilities to help with applications.
I will also back free school meals for those on pupil premium for the entirety of their primary school education to ensure that those children can receive at least one balanced meal every day and to avoid parents having to give up their food so that their child can eat enough. This in itself can affect their ability to get/hold down a job.

Inequality
I am a strong believer in promoting equality of opportunity over equality of outcome, as I believe that the latter is merely an attempt to paper over shortcomings in assuring the former.
To move through the life cycle of a human:
Education: I think on the whole I would support a voucher scheme, to allow parents more choice over where their children go to school and to render higher-quality, paid schooling more affordable. I’ve already discussed free school meals for those on pupil premium for the entirety of their primary school education, which would help to address performance gaps. I also think that education should be as inclusive as possible, and that children are taught tolerance and that difference makes us stronger.
Work: Moves towards flexible working and the ability to work from home will hopefully drive greater equality between men and women in the workplace. Businesses should be encouraged to provide shared parental leave to allow men to be more involved with their children and to allow women to share the childcare burden. I would also back free childcare for 35 hours a week, which is the lower threshold for full-time work to allow women to get back into full-time work more quickly (should they wish to).
In our social lives: I believe that civil partnership should be opened to heterosexual couples to address that remaining inequality. I also believe that the rights and grounds for divorce under the two regimes should be reviewed and brought more inline at the same time as civil partnership is expanded. Elsewhere, I’d like to see greater legal protections and acknowledgment for trans people, though I accept that this is a contentious and difficult area and so this would need to be done carefully and sensitively, and with input from trans people themselves.
While moves towards equality are always going to be slow and correspond with societal attitudes, I believe that we can move towards a more equal and fairer country, a country where we celebrate our differences but do not use those differences as an excuse to hold each other back.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads