Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is the place to discuss the debate thread here

You can ask candidates questions etc, im sure people will be happy to stick around.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do we just speak when asked to?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you to Mr Speaker for opening the debate.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Do we just speak when asked to?
This thread is for others who are not taking part in the debate. Obviosuly nothing much will happen until the first question is posted.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
This thread is for others who are not taking part in the debate. Obviosuly nothing much will happen until the first question is posted.
I mean in the debate thread. Are we supposed to interact with each other?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is Aph referring to the time when he illegitimately declared himself the Prime Minister when nobody in and out of the government, or even within his own party at the time, recognized it?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
I mean in the debate thread. Are we supposed to interact with each other?
Once the questions start, yes.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is Aph referring to the time when he illegitimately declared himself the Prime Minister when nobody in and out of the government, or even within his own party at the time, recognized it?
That's not true but sure...
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's not true but sure...
When the Prime Minister is away, the Deputy Prime Minister becomes Acting Prime Minister. This is how it works in real life and how it has worked here in the MHoC. You were never elected leader of the Greens and so you were never acting Prime Minister. You had no support from the government to recognize your claim, and the Speaker at the time issued a statement to say you were not the prime minister (ie you received no appointment from HM The Queen).

That is, unless there was somehow another period of time when you were actually PM that I don't know about.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When the Prime Minister is away, the Deputy Prime Minister becomes Acting Prime Minister. This is how it works in real life and how it has worked here in the MHoC. You were never elected leader of the Greens and so you were never acting Prime Minister. You had no support from the government to recognize your claim, and the Speaker at the time issued a statement to say you were not the prime minister (ie you received no appointment from HM The Queen).

That is, unless there was somehow another period of time when you were actually PM that I don't know about.
That isn't how it works in real life.

My claim was supported briefly by Adam until his puppet masters told him to say no.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
That isn't how it works in real life.

My claim was supported briefly by Adam until his puppet masters told him to say no.
There's no DPM right now. But Nick Clegg for APM when Cameron was away.

I don't know about this claimed support from Adam, but to become PM, even briefly, you need to actually have been inviting by the monarch to form a government.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no DPM right now. But Nick Clegg for APM when Cameron was away.

I don't know about this claimed support from Adam, but to become PM, even briefly, you need to actually have been inviting by the monarch to form a government.
One example does not constitution make.

Not on TSR...
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
One example does not constitution make.

Not on TSR...
There's no other example. I don't remember exactly if Adam was First Secretary of State, but that'd be another example of Adam being APM by convention if he was.

On TSR, the Speaker would be the one to make this recognition. You were not recognized by the Speaker.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought we had a closing statement. This is mine: This election in real life UK is about Brexit. Whether you believe we should leave the EU on the existing deal or if you believe we should have a further delay, or even potentially cancelling Brexit and ignoring the democratic result altogether. If you want to vote based on that, vote for us if you have had enough of these Brexit shambles and think we should just do it once and for all.

But on TSR, there's very little we can actually do about Brexit. So I would say this is about the way forward beyond Brexit, and we should be your clear choice. We are the party with the broadest range of policies and the most number of them as well. To govern this country, you cannot just throw out slogans here and there, and we have the will, the people, and the commitment to serve our country. You can vote for an empty shill, a party whose main policy is not doable, a party that's quite out of touch, to take fun away, or an independent who thinks he knew how things work because he once staged a failed coup which brought down the government he was a part of, or you can vote for us.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I apologise for disappearing, but I had arranged to meet a friend before she leaves on Tuesday and I (presumably) never see her again. If anyone has any questions about my responses then please do ask.

I too had prepared a closing statement:

I would like to thank the Speaker of the House, Andrew97, for inviting me to participate in this debate.

By way of concluding, I would like to say that I am a candidate that will stand up for the people of Britain and for their right to live their lives as they wish. As a Member of Parliament, I will seek to do the best for both the country as a whole and its citizens, but prioritising the individual where necessary in order to allow everyone the freedom to choose their own path.

I hope that when deciding where to put their mark on the ballot paper, the people of this country will put it next to my name.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To ask JMR2019. where he was during the debate? Does he think that it’s acceptable for TSR’s potential prime minister to flunk a debate that every other party leader and independent candidate attended?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had not prepared a closing statement but was able to thank the Speaker which would have been my opening had I been asked.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
To ask JMR2019. where he was during the debate? Does he think that it’s acceptable for TSR’s potential prime minister to flunk a debate that every other party leader and independent candidate attended?
Well just to be picky and correct you, Soggy was MIA as well. But of course in the greatest respect to Soggy, his lack of appearance is much less important than the lack of appearance from a potential PM.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I have a life outside of TSR, but I am waiting to respond to any questions the other party leaders want to direct to me.
Suchomimus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello candidates,

I myself will be voting either Labour or Lib Dems, but I am unsure which of these to vote. I want to remain in the EU.

Why should I vote you instead of the other?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
8.82%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (7)
10.29%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
22.06%
No and I wouldn't consider it (40)
58.82%

Watched Threads