The Student Room Group

Taking the pill while on the implant

Had the implant fitted and since I have had constant light bleeding. I got given the pill to help but it didn't completely stop the bleeding. Towards the end of taking the pills the bleeding was very light. I had to stop taking the pills and it has started again and is worse than before. It feels like a normal period from before I had the implant. I am thinking the bleeding is from the withdrawal of my hormones from the pill. I have also read people have had the pill and implant together and when they stopped the pill they had one period and then they went all together. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also I am concerned I am not well protected due to my hormones rising up and down. They must have dropped to cause this bleed but are they high enough to prevent pregnancy? Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Had the implant fitted and since I have had constant light bleeding. I got given the pill to help but it didn't completely stop the bleeding. Towards the end of taking the pills the bleeding was very light. I had to stop taking the pills and it has started again and is worse than before. It feels like a normal period from before I had the implant. I am thinking the bleeding is from the withdrawal of my hormones from the pill. I have also read people have had the pill and implant together and when they stopped the pill they had one period and then they went all together. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also I am concerned I am not well protected due to my hormones rising up and down. They must have dropped to cause this bleed but are they high enough to prevent pregnancy? Any help would be much appreciated.

I think it's best to speak to your GP or a pharmacist and discuss this, as they'll know detailed and accurate answers to your questions.
The implant should do the job on it on providing you having protected inter course okay

The implant should do it job on it own without you taking the pill as well , your periods should get less and less untill just spotting which is normal,

Providing you using protection during intercourse then you won't get pregnant
Even if you didn't then you still should not get pregnant.

If unsure what you doing is correct then seek further medical advice from either your GP or pharmacist at the local chemist as they will advise you better
You are fully protected from pregnancy, don't worry.

Some people need to stay on the pill, some just have a short time on it. See what happens.

The implant should do it job on it own without you taking the pill as well , your periods should get less and less untill just spotting which is normal,

This doesn't happen to everyone, unfortunately.
Original post by Apachecow
You are fully protected from pregnancy, don't worry.

Some people need to stay on the pill, some just have a short time on it. See what happens.

The COCP can't be taken for longer than 3 months alongside the implant though?
Normally the POP is the one used to regulate periods.

not alongside the implant

Also, COCP gives much more control and doesn't cause irregular bleeding like the mini pill so I don't see why it wouldn't be used to regulate periods?
When you are on the combined pill and you take your week off the hormone levels fall and you have your period (not technically a period but a withdrawal bleed). When you are on the implant the progesterone level is held at a higher level so there is no dropping off and no withdrawal bleed.
When you are on the combined pill and you take your week off the hormone levels fall and you have your period (not technically a period but a withdrawal bleed). When you are on the implant the progesterone level is held at a higher level so there is no dropping off and no withdrawal bleed.

You don't have to have a week off with the combined pill, and the mini pill (as all protesterone contraceptives) is well known for causing irregular bleeding - this is why OP is on the pill alongside the implant. I'm guessing you have never used hormonal contraception.
This doesn't happen to everyone, unfortunately.

The COCP can't be taken for longer than 3 months alongside the implant though?

I've known people's bleeding to never lighten causing them to have it out. And yeah they won't prescribe anymore than 3 months of pills.

Yes but I'm having both so surly the pills made my levels rise even more and when I came off them they would drop. Not completely as I am still getting hormones from my implant but there would surly be a drop?
You don't have to have a week off with the combined pill, and the mini pill (as all protesterone contraceptives) is well known for causing irregular bleeding - this is why OP is on the pill alongside the implant. I'm guessing you have never used hormonal contraception.

I used to have a week off when I took my combined pills. And the ones the prescribed to me to take with my implant were the same ones. So combined.
I used to have a week off when I took my combined pills. And the ones the prescribed to me to take with my implant were the same ones. So combined.

Yep, because that's what is normally used alongside the implant to try and regulate abnormal bleeding! I don't think the other person knows much about this.
thats what i was given today

Quick Reply

Latest