The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or Medicine at Uni

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and really want to become a doctor. I've one research on applying to med school in both the UK and Ireland and was wondering if it were possible to do an apprenticeship in medicine or an apprenticeship which I can later transition into studying medicine/become a doctor. This has to do with the fact that I'm not too sure whether or not I will be successful in the UCAT, BMAT and HPAT especially combined with my GCSE grades, which are pretty low for someone who wants to become a doctor, I do not want to hinder my chance of becomng a doctor
lol medicine has no apprenticeships mate theres plans on bringing apprenticeships for optometry. But a lot of optometrists are pissed off by the idea because its just going to devalue the profession and also lead to cheap labour for all those commercial stores
Original post by frann.xo7
I'm currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and really want to become a doctor. I've one research on applying to med school in both the UK and Ireland and was wondering if it were possible to do an apprenticeship in medicine or an apprenticeship which I can later transition into studying medicine/become a doctor. This has to do with the fact that I'm not too sure whether or not I will be successful in the UCAT, BMAT and HPAT especially combined with my GCSE grades, which are pretty low for someone who wants to become a doctor, I do not want to hinder my chance of becomng a doctor

I’m in the same situation as u 😭 I want to be a doctor and I want to do medicine but I got grades 5-7 and distinction* at gcse , not the best 😕
I’m doing biology geography and psychology , I should have chosen chemistry instead of geography when I knew I was going down the medicine route but I know that I can get higher grades in geography , I’m going to try and do a foundation year , hoping they accept my gcse grades and A level grades , once the foundation year is done I hope to do straight medicine in a top Russell group university
I say do a foundation year , don’t let ur gcses define u
I agree most doctors are grade 9 students and A*/A students at A levels
But don’t let the high standards put u off
Just take another route , it may be longer adding a extra year but In the end it will be worth it
PM me if u want to talk more
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Alina2019
I’m in the same situation as u 😭 I want to be a doctor and I want to do medicine but I got grades 5-7 and distinction* at gcse , not the best 😕
I’m doing biology geography and psychology , I should have chosen chemistry instead of geography when I knew I was going down the medicine route but I know that I can get higher grades in geography , I’m going to try and do a foundation year , hoping they accept my gcse grades and A level grades , once the foundation year is done I hope to do straight medicine in a top Russell group university
I say do a foundation year , don’t let ur gcses define u
I agree most doctors are grade 9 students and A*/A students at A levels
But don’t let the high standards put u off
Just take another route , it may be longer adding a extra year but In the end it will be worth it
PM me if u want to talk more

“Top Russell group university”

It literally does not matter what medical school you go to and all are regulated by the GMC and hence the quality of teaching is amazing everywhere.
Original post by Sososnake
“Top Russell group university”

It literally does not matter what medical school you go to and all are regulated by the GMC and hence the quality of teaching is amazing everywhere.

I feel attacked 😖
Sorry I just live Nottinghamshire so having a gd uni is a advantage
and I also typed this on the bus and didn’t read anything bk 🤣
(edited 4 years ago)
I looked up medical schools which require only 4s at gcse and above and accept biology on its own
And I’m trying to stay close to home
I’m willing to travel to the city next door if it’s like a 30/45 min train journey
And I found Sheffield
Sheffield also has BBB minimum requirements
I researched this ^ after I posted
And the only reason me and some of my Friends were considering a foundation year ( freinds who have chosen 3 sciences) is because we know we won’t get the predicted grades AA.. A or B
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you x for ur advice
Can I have a quick reply pls
When is foundation yr viable to someone
What is the criteria
Original post by frann.xo7

You definitely can't do an apprenticeship in medicine - this isn't the 17th century.

If your GCSEs aren't your strong point then you can apply to medical schools that aren't "GCSE heavy". You can also check if you're eligible for any widening access programmes. Check the link ecolier posted.

Re entrance exams: at the end of the day medicine is filled with exams which continue all the way into specialty training, so you will need to get used to attempting exams. With sufficient preparation there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do well in these exams, but ultimately you do need to give it a go :smile:
No - medicine apprenticeships do not exist.

It's very silly of you to limit yourself by saying "I don't think I'll do well in x, y and z which I haven't even given a go". Obviously no one applying to do the entrance exams knows if they will be successful - you can only gauge how you're doing during the exam and when you get your results.

There are universities which prefer entrance exam results and a-levels (or equivalent qualifications) much more over GCSEs. I would research these universities - apply strategically.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Alina2019
Can I have a quick reply pls
When is foundation yr viable to someone
What is the criteria

A Foundation Year is generally for people who have AAA at A level in non-science subjects. Gateway years are for people with lower grades including sciences but require widening participation flags as they are designed to help those who may find it difficult to access a medical degree via the standard route, so eg have been in care, live in a disadvantaged area, are the first generation to attend uni, etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending