Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Exactly as the topic says. If someone types or texts in shorthand (e.g. 'u' instead of 'you') does it turn you off? I understand it in a long message to make it fit, but not in short ones. Or am I just being too specific/picky? haha.

I only ask 'cause a friend of mine text me last night saying "were r u? I'm in brass". And I was just sittin' there thinkin' like "ew" haha.

I just expect the kind of people that text/chat like that to be quite, well, 'dim' (And this friend in particular isn't 'dim'). I guess it's not true for all, as I've witnessed firsthand. But it still bothers me a bit. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Text language pisses me off too.

ReputationRep:
    it pisses me off no end!

ReputationRep:
    texting turns me off anyway, it's so distant and sterile.

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when people miss out vowels but u is usually the only text language i use.

ReputationRep:
    I can't talk to people on msn if they talk like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it either but I guess that sounds snobby.

ReputationRep:
    i hate text language too and when people miss out "the" in a sentence

ReputationRep:
    I hate it, reminds me of chavs

ReputationRep:
    I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    not really, it depends on the word, "u" instead of "you" is ok, but i dont like "dat" instead of "that" or "aight" instead of "alright" and so many other stupid ones...
    i can't figure out certain wordings, and sometimes they make certain words appear longer, i mean what is the point in that if you're trying to save credit by fitting all the text in one message???
    ....am thinking of a word, but it's not coming to me right now, i'll write it when it comes to mind

ReputationRep:
    I hate when people type "off" instead of "of".

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind it in any context. Unless I can't understand it, in which case I probably still wouldn't complain.

ReputationRep:
    I never do that on the computer, and do get annoyed if others do it, but I'm sometimes guilty of it when I get lazy when I'm texting.. I'm sorry, I know, I deserve to die:no:

really doesnt bother me

ReputationRep:
    I don't use any text language other than shortening phrases like 'lol' or 'ftw', none of this 'wwu2' ****e. It really is associated with idiots.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    no it doesnt. cos texts are limited enough and to make everything fit yes, sometimes you have to use slang... usually i use proper words and that but if im running out of space i will use text language :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Makes me want to puke, I generally wont talk to people on MSN if they use it. I mean, the keyboard goes "yuio" ... it's not exactly hard to type "you" opposed to "u" ... I don't use mobile phones though, so I don't really get the texting thing :P

ReputationRep:
    I use it occassionally if I can only send one text not two etc, but I hate myself for it!

ReputationRep:
    if its in a text, then no! ..text speak is designed for txt messages, no? so there is no need to get annoyed with its use there!
    anywhere else yes...

"u" isn't the best example of annoying txt ****, there are far more less obvious and annoying words out there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.