What happens to student loans when the person dies?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username3242698
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello there, this is for the UK University scene:
If a student dies, what happens to the
a) tuition fee loan (£9250/yr loan)
b) money borrowed by the student from the government to pay for uni accommodation etc. (maintenance loan)
Are these both written off, or do they both get passed on and need to be paid for by those you leave behind?
Thank you!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Written off.
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-stu...f-or-cancelled

If someone with a student loan dies

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will cancel the person’s student loan.

You need to let SLC know that the person has died and provide evidence (for example an original death certificate), as well as the person’s Customer Reference Number.
username3242698
Rep:
?
(Original post by verycoolperson)
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-stu...f-or-cancelled

If someone with a student loan dies

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will cancel the person’s student loan.

You need to let SLC know that the person has died and provide evidence (for example an original death certificate), as well as the person’s Customer Reference Number.
So BOTH the tuition fee loan AND the maintenance loan are BOTH written off? Even if you're in your third year at uni and have 'built up' three year's worth of loans? Thank you
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The loan also dies
username3242698
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Written off.
So BOTH the tuition fee loan AND the maintenance loan are BOTH written off? Even if you're in your third year at uni and have 'built up' three year's worth of loans? Thank you
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elliott M)
Yes.
Same applies to all undergrad, masters and doctorate student finance loans.
username4952620
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like your tone is coming off as a bit suicidal
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why exactly are you asking this?...
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This thread is a bit concerning
sarskinz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's BOTH loans, right? And what happens to the loans if you die shortly after COMPLETING your studies i.e. the student doesn't die DURING university, but after graduation? The 2 loans don't get passed on to your loved ones in that situation, right? Do they BOTH get written off regardless of whether the student dies DURING or AFTER their studies? Thanks man
Are you okay?
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Why exactly are you asking this?...
Was going to ask this but then I thought perhaps it was just me being morbid.
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imagine if the OP is totally fine but just has peculiar curiosity and reads our posts and thinks to himself "wtf is up with these freaks?" lol
username3242698
Rep:
?
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity.
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's BOTH loans, right? And what happens to the loans if you die shortly after COMPLETING your studies i.e. the student doesn't die DURING university, but after graduation? The 2 loans don't get passed on to your loved ones in that situation, right? Do they BOTH get written off regardless of whether the student dies DURING or AFTER their studies? Thanks man
Yeah I don’t know but I hope you’re not thinking what I think you are.....
username3242698
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarskinz)
Are you okay?
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity. Do you have the answer to the comment you replied to when you said 'are you okay?'. Thank you, and I'm genuinely fine thanks!
Alisha300
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Written off. One of my friends passed away after just starting his medicine degree, absolutely heartbreaking
username3242698
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alisha300)
Written off. One of my friends passed away after just starting his medicine degree, absolutely heartbreaking
I'm so sorry to hear that xx
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities.
That's not my understanding of UK law - you cannot inherit debt, unless you signed as a guarantor.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I literally just wanted to know if it was the same as other loans etc. where if you passed away, your loved ones would inherit any liabilities. That's it, just a curiosity.
Except that is incorrect and well done for posting weird thread of the week.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads