What Are My Options? What Would You Do? Watch

LittleX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically I'm just trying to figure out my options.

I have made a huge mistake when I transferred credits from a part-time to a full-time course in North Wales and I underestimated the whole situation with jobs here, being able to fit between people they already know each other, etc. ( I needed a job to get a maintenance loan)

I almost starved to death here because I had last £30 before I managed to get at least seasonal job at Tesco where I am taking every possible shift I can take.

I'm extremely behind with assignments, I don't feel good about asking for extensions although one of the senior tutors said it's perfectly reasonable and I could apply for special circumstances and do summer school without the cap of 40%, or in worse case do the second year again.

What would you do? What are my options? Do you know something more about resiting modules during the summer? Do I have to fail the module to be able to resit it or could I even get a better grade (well, I am failing anyway)

If I transferred from a part-time course, do I still have 3 years of funding available? I heard SFE doesn't count part-time courses.

thanks
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LittleX)

I have made a huge mistake when I transferred credits from a part-time to a full-time course in North Wales and I underestimated the whole situation with jobs here, being able to fit between people they already know each other, etc. ( I needed a job to get a maintenance loan)

I almost starved to death here because I had last £30 before I managed to get at least seasonal job at Tesco where I am taking every possible shift I can take.

I'm extremely behind with assignments, I don't feel good about asking for extensions although one of the senior tutors said it's perfectly reasonable and I could apply for special circumstances and do summer school without the cap of 40%, or in worse case do the second year again.

What would you do? What are my options? Do you know something more about resiting modules during the summer? Do I have to fail the module to be able to resit it or could I even get a better grade (well, I am failing anyway)

If I transferred from a part-time course, do I still have 3 years of funding available? I heard SFE doesn't count part-time courses.

thanks
Hi there!

This sounds like an absolute nightmare of a situation to be in, especially when the intentions were to better yourself. I know it sounds like a daunting time but rest assured, there are solutions all around you!

So you've got yourself a job! Congratulations, it may not be the most fruitful with shifts but you're doing better than those without a job. And the lucky thing is, is that we have got Christmas vacation coming up which either means (depending on your living situation) more time for shifts, or more time to get those assignments done.

My best advice would be to talk to your student well being team or tutors at your university, they are there to help you and make your university life a better experience. And regarding finance, the Student Finance Company are always fantastic and efficient with answering any complicated question you may have.

Dont give up, university balance can be hard and we've all been there one way or another.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi there!

This sounds like an absolute nightmare of a situation to be in, especially when the intentions were to better yourself. I know it sounds like a daunting time but rest assured, there are solutions all around you!

So you've got yourself a job! Congratulations, it may not be the most fruitful with shifts but you're doing better than those without a job. And the lucky thing is, is that we have got Christmas vacation coming up which either means (depending on your living situation) more time for shifts, or more time to get those assignments done.

My best advice would be to talk to your student well being team or tutors at your university, they are there to help you and make your university life a better experience. And regarding finance, the Student Finance Company are always fantastic and efficient with answering any complicated question you may have.

Dont give up, university balance can be hard and we've all been there one way or another.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:
Hello Robyn,

thank you for your support, I think I tried to talk to everybody I possibly could and I'm really tired of telling the same thing over and over again to everybody and they don't know what would be the best option, they only feel sorry me which is great but it's not what I need.

All I wanted was to know what are my options now, what I can do and if there is any way how to improve my grades, etc. but nobody will tell me anything.
LittleX
Rep:
?
great, thanks to everybody for your advice... very helpful.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LittleX)

thanks
You've already told us what your options are - apply for extensions and/or apply for the summer school. It's up to you what you want to do and whether you can afford the living costs entailed over the summer etc.

Traditionally, summer resits are for those who have failed and need to resit to pass (capped at 40%). Whether you need to do a first attempt now would depend on if that's a requirement for the summer school, or whether you could do your first attempt during summer. You'll need to explicitly ask your senior tutor about this.

If post on the Ask Student Finance England forum, they will be able to give you more specific answers regarding how years of funding remain for you.

P.S. I appreciate that your situation is tough, but there's no need to be sarcastic - it'll put people off helping you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (26)
26.26%
1 (13)
13.13%
2 (16)
16.16%
3 (12)
12.12%
4 (8)
8.08%
5 (10)
10.1%