Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i live with 10 girls in halls and 5 of these lot keep leaving the kitchen trashed almost every single night ( uncleaned dishes of 5 weeks on windowsills, tea bags all over countertop, gone off tea and coffee on tables, shoes everywhere, sweet wrappers literally everywhere and to top it off a literal rotting pumpkin in the corner of the room) and these girls are getting very passive aggressive about us opening the windows in the morning (because the stench of gone off food and KFC scattered everywhere is lowkey grim) and theyre now leaving sticky notes saying "STOP OPENING WINDOWS!!11!!" in our fridges, cupboards and tea towels and are ****ging us off to everyone in the other blocks about it.

Its like living with 8 year olds i dont know how to handle this situation, i dont want drama because of theres enough of that already but its gotten to the point where these girls have made 2 of my other flatmates move out. Also the halls welfare dude wont help at all.

basically in summary 5 girls wont stop kicking off at us asking them politely to clean up their rotten food and scattered mess to the point where it makes people uncomfortable to go in the damn kitchen
Any advice?
ThePsychKid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If they refuse to clean up their mess, I'd say your only option is to move out. Because its unfair to you and your health. Isn't there anyone else, other than the halls welfare dude, who you can complain to?
starsj87
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Move out
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So i live with 10 girls in halls and 5 of these lot keep leaving the kitchen trashed almost every single night ( uncleaned dishes of 5 weeks on windowsills, tea bags all over countertop, gone off tea and coffee on tables, shoes everywhere, sweet wrappers literally everywhere and to top it off a literal rotting pumpkin in the corner of the room) and these girls are getting very passive aggressive about us opening the windows in the morning (because the stench of gone off food and KFC scattered everywhere is lowkey grim) and theyre now leaving sticky notes saying "STOP OPENING WINDOWS!!11!!" in our fridges, cupboards and tea towels and are ****ging us off to everyone in the other blocks about it.

Its like living with 8 year olds i dont know how to handle this situation, i dont want drama because of theres enough of that already but its gotten to the point where these girls have made 2 of my other flatmates move out. Also the halls welfare dude wont help at all.

basically in summary 5 girls wont stop kicking off at us asking them politely to clean up their rotten food and scattered mess to the point where it makes people uncomfortable to go in the damn kitchen
Any advice?
Hi there

If you are living at the university you could always contact the accommodation team directly and make them aware. If they can't intervene with the situation then at least you can begin the process with them of changing halls.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
If you've already made accommodation staff aware of the issues, you could also go to your student union and ask them for advice.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
Gather it all up into a box and chuck it into their rooms when the door is open.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is going to sound horrible but leave a note saying “if this mess is not cleaned up by the people who caused it, it will be moved into your rooms and onto your beds.” Take a photo of the note and give them three days. Then take all the rotten food and trash and dishes and put it all in their rooms. In the wardrobes on the beds anywhere. Then once they complain (and people like that WILL) you can simply show the photo of the note and explain that you have them three days.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
See if they have other property you can transfer to.
Keep a diary and take photos at regular intervals. Dont make it obvious.
You can use this as evidence.
Make a joint complaint with other students to be moved.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
This is going to sound horrible but leave a note saying “if this mess is not cleaned up by the people who caused it, it will be moved into your rooms and onto your beds.” Take a photo of the note and give them three days. Then take all the rotten food and trash and dishes and put it all in their rooms. In the wardrobes on the beds anywhere. Then once they complain (and people like that WILL) you can simply show the photo of the note and explain that you have them three days.
This is an immature and very poor piece of advice. There are ten in the flat and 5 of them are causing the mess meaning the OP will be in the minority. They already sound like mini coven and will enjoy gossiping and bullying the other flatmates hence them imposing their rules.

1. They will laugh at the note.
2. They will bully the OP and she will be persona non grata. They dont have to fight her but they can make her feel unwelcome, slate her in the flat and make her paranoid.
3. If you are going to have an ultimatum then you need to be prepared to carry it out and they need to fear it.
4. Responding by trashing their rooms is more likely to get the OP into trouble. two wrongs dont make a right.
5. Could easily descend into a fight.
6. Its still the ops home for now. They would also retaliate n kind.
yaco3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe look for the hierachy and try and contact the person above the welfare guy/ ask the welfare guy for his boss's email, and then complain with photos, are the kitchens cleaned? in my halls the cleaner would refuse to touch it and you'd probably get a warning or an RA meeting, if you have a cleaner try and catch them and get them to complain about the state it's in. Try confront them with another of your flatmates safety in numbers? otherwise its just trying to find someone to report them to.
Good luck
also complain about the welfare guy being useless
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i will just move out. Problem solved.

It smells horrible every weekend. And looks like a rubbish dump.
i just cannot bother to live in a place that is smelly with rotten food, used tea bags everywhere etc.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's why she calls it passive aggressive...because they are blatantly causing her to move without actually DOING anything directly...ive had nightmare neighbours and I've wised up to people who disturb you, it's to show dominion. And try to get you to move so they can slither behind you and move their family and friends or themselves into your former property. And if you complain the sociopaths will intimidate the money hungry landlord who let's them stay. You also turn into a nag.

Advice to snitch to a halls superior is from sheltered people who are inconsiderately giving trash juvenile advice out of boredom. Advice to incite revenge is reckless. Op needs to just man up and tell them to clean. Not ask. Tell. Failing that the only thing you can do is to temporarily. ...BE WORSE THAN THEM. For instance my neighbours are ****ing loud at stupid o'clock. I fight back by slamming the front door of the building open, as it slams into their bedroom wall I also live on top of them, so I stomp my feet I also leave my bin bag in the corridor I also leave the corridor door open because it gets extra chilly for them, and they feel unsafe I come home at stupid o'clock due to a overnight job, so I make noise when I come in I also play hard rock music. And loud. they're black and listen to strictly r&b it seems and I heard them comment about my music I also plan to destroy their Christmas decorations
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
..another bad thing I did...was..i smoked weed..and then I called the landlord and said THEY smoked weed. I heard them arguing recently, my neighbours were livid...and they were threatened that if they got calls about smoking..well..theyll call the police on my neighbours. I'm stood there in my door listening close like and telling my guests to :shh: I do it because these ppl are unbearable.
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
..another bad thing I did...was..i smoked weed..and then I called the landlord and said THEY smoked weed. I heard them arguing recently, my neighbours were livid...and they were threatened that if they got calls about smoking..well..theyll call the police on my neighbours. I'm stood there in my door listening close like and telling my guests to :shh: I do it because these ppl are unbearable.
:rofl:
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's why she calls it passive aggressive...because they are blatantly causing her to move without actually DOING anything directly...ive had nightmare neighbours and I've wised up to people who disturb you, it's to show dominion. And try to get you to move so they can slither behind you and move their family and friends or themselves into your former property. And if you complain the sociopaths will intimidate the money hungry landlord who let's them stay. You also turn into a nag.

Advice to snitch to a halls superior is from sheltered people who are inconsiderately giving trash juvenile advice out of boredom. Advice to incite revenge is reckless. Op needs to just man up and tell them to clean. Not ask. Tell. Failing that the only thing you can do is to temporarily. ...BE WORSE THAN THEM. For instance my neighbours are ****ing loud at stupid o'clock. I fight back by slamming the front door of the building open, as it slams into their bedroom wall I also live on top of them, so I stomp my feet I also leave my bin bag in the corridor I also leave the corridor door open because it gets extra chilly for them, and they feel unsafe I come home at stupid o'clock due to a overnight job, so I make noise when I come in I also play hard rock music. And loud. they're black and listen to strictly r&b it seems and I heard them comment about my music I also plan to destroy their Christmas decorations
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
:rofl:
oh hai.
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh hai.
someone was a little high yesterday :toofunny:
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
someone was a little high yesterday :toofunny:
wuzzit u 👆lol
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
This is an immature and very poor piece of advice. There are ten in the flat and 5 of them are causing the mess meaning the OP will be in the minority. They already sound like mini coven and will enjoy gossiping and bullying the other flatmates hence them imposing their rules.

1. They will laugh at the note.
2. They will bully the OP and she will be persona non grata. They dont have to fight her but they can make her feel unwelcome, slate her in the flat and make her paranoid.
3. If you are going to have an ultimatum then you need to be prepared to carry it out and they need to fear it.
4. Responding by trashing their rooms is more likely to get the OP into trouble. two wrongs dont make a right.
5. Could easily descend into a fight.
6. Its still the ops home for now. They would also retaliate n kind.
I don’t mean trash the rooms I meant put them into piles in their rooms or even in their own bins if OP desires. I only said about putting it on their beds to make a point. By the sound of it they’re already bullying OP and since the note would warn them that the trash would be moved unless something was done OP wouldn’t get more then a small telling off as the bratty people would be given a fair warning and ample time to move that trash. I see your point but at the same time something needs to be done. I was in a slightly similar situation once and I carried out my advise and it worked for me. Again it’s only a suggestion of what to do but I do see your point
Leelee101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
Id say instead of putting the mess in their rooms, put it just outside their rooms, so in the hallway right outside of their door. Mainly because if it's in their room, they can say you went into your room as get you into trouble.

Depending on the layout of the rooms, could op cover the floor of the hallway outside their room so they can't get in or out of their room without moving it? As long as it doesn't block everyone else's way to their room.
Does op (and the other flatmates) have friends in another flat close by so they can use their kitchen and leave the 5 with their horrible kitchen? If op can do this, make sure you get evidence that it isn't your mess, or if there's an inspection you all could be made to play for a cleaner.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (71)
27.84%
1 (40)
15.69%
2 (41)
16.08%
3 (38)
14.9%
4 (17)
6.67%
5 (20)
7.84%