Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of taking 5 AS levels: Physics, maths, further maths, biology and chemistry.

Has anywone else done these AS levels if so how much is the workload?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5

Maths, Chemsitry, English Literature, History and Fine Art

Mine is obviously a different situation, as I had a non-academic (which actually took the most time and had the biggest workload) and a mix between arts and sciences

All the same, I didn't find the workload hard, it was managable as long as you planned your time, and I had plenty of time for a social life. But I didn't work in employment

What I would mention is the stress I put on myself not to miss a day of school, which made me more ill (but still didn't miss any school)

ReputationRep:
    I think if you think you ca manage the workload of 5 then go for it-only you know-personally Im doing four-however if my school tell me I need to do geneal studies too then I think 5 would be a bit difficult for me-so do you know whether your school require you to do that too? as You have to think if they do then that would make it 6 for you and you need to consider if you would be able to manage six.

good luck

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Katy)
    I did 5

Maths, Chemsitry, English Literature, History and Fine Art

Mine is obviously a different situation, as I had a non-academic (which actually took the most time and had the biggest workload) and a mix between arts and sciences

All the same, I didn't find the workload hard, it was managable as long as you planned your time, and I had plenty of time for a social life. But I didn't work in employment

What I would mention is the stress I put on myself not to miss a day of school, which made me more ill (but still didn't miss any school)
    Just out of interest, what subject are you/have you applied for at university?

ReputationRep:
    I did Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, History and Critical Thinking - so almost the same situation.

I didn't find the workload strenuous at all (about half my total workload came from History and your doing Biology in its place so that should be even less for you) - but this is because I chose to do the bare minimum in each subject. If I chose to work hard in all my subjects, then yes, it would have been a massive workload.

With sciences and maths, you can essentially choose how much work you do, so really it is all down to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    Just out of interest, what subject are you/have you applied for at university?
    Law (does it make more sense now? And can I also say that I've wanted to do law for several years, I didn't pick such broad ones because I couldn't decide)

I am as well rounded as they get, me thinks

ReputationRep:
    I did Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Music, and French.

If you're willing to put in the work it's perfectly do-able. I did find that the science subjects took up a slightly smaller proportion of my time since there were no extended essays to write.

The exception to that rule is Coursework Time... then the sciences'll take up all your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taemon)
    I did find that the science subjects took up a slightly smaller proportion of my time since there were no extended essays to write.
    I agree there, and also for revision, I found science subjects far easier. You learn the content, and you can feel well prepared. You can learn as much content as you can for Arts and can never feel well prepared.

(Original post by Taemon)
    The exception to that rule is Coursework Time... then the sciences'll take up all your time!
    It may depend on your exam board, I did Nuffield for Chemistry, so it was all done in one-off lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckandcover)
    Im thinking of taking 5 AS levels: Physics, maths, further maths, biology and chemistry.

That's quite a lot if you ask me.. I've got 8 of them AS, but I did them in separate sessions and two of them generally wouldn't count...

ReputationRep:

I did those exact 5, and from experience, no It wasn't that much of a workload... those 5 subjects also tend to overlap quite nicely too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by originalname)
    I did those exact 5, and from experience, no It wasn't that much of a workload... those 5 subjects also tend to overlap quite nicely too.
    The overlap if you ask me exists between Maths and further Maths and the mechanics sections if you actually do them... but no overlap if you do stats.. and well between bio and chem, there should be some I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    The overlap if you ask me exists between Maths and further Maths and the mechanics sections if you actually do them... but no overlap if you do stats.. and well between bio and chem, there should be some I'm not sure...
    For me anyways, there was a some overlap between AS Chem and Bio, and some overlap between A2 Chem and A2 Physics (half of Chem and Phys was just A2 Maths...). The mechanics part of Physics was just M1 and M2. S1 came up in the ecology part of biolo

Obviously there are no overlaps between FM and Maths... but in the other subjects the amount of overlapping was HUGE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by originalname)
    For me anyways, there was a some overlap between AS Chem and Bio, and some overlap between A2 Chem and A2 Physics (half of Chem and Phys was just A2 Maths...). The mechanics part of Physics was just M1 and M2. S1 came up in the ecology part of biolo

Obviously there are no overlaps between FM and Maths... but in the other subjects the amount of overlapping was HUGE.
    well yeah, i was talking about that because I did Maths and Further Maths in 2 different boards...

ReputationRep:
    If you do Maths and Further Maths, I'm sure the workload won't seem quite as much seeing as they both compliment eachother. A lot of my friends took FM as a fifth subject and managed fine time-wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinolisss)
    well yeah, i was talking about that because I did Maths and Further Maths in 2 different boards...
    heh I was gonna say there could be overlap in FM and Maths if you did seperate boards but I didn't think that was possible..

ReputationRep:

For AS I did those but with biology replaced with economics. Workload wasn't a problem. I actually found AS easier than GCSE in terms of workload. Physics overlaps relatively well with maths mechanics. Chemistry is mostly about memory and can't speak for biology but I'm told it's quite taxing on the old memory banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Katy)
    Law (does it make more sense now? And can I also say that I've wanted to do law for several years, I didn't pick such broad ones because I couldn't decide)

I am as well rounded as they get, me thinks
    Ah, great combination for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    Ah, great combination for law.
    Why, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Take 5
    if the workload gets on top of you then drop one?

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine as long as you have a genuine interest in all the subjects and are committed.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.