Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    German and (probably) Russian.

If I don't study maths, philosophy is the only thing which would interest me enough.

ReputationRep:
    A subject with lotz of maths! physics is about as close as you can get, or maybe i'd consider chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    history.

it's the only other subject which (although I don't actually study it) I have a genuine interest in.

to know what people did and what happened and all that malarky.
    Yep me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
    On a completely different tune, I would love to train as a Skiing instructor.
    OMG ME TOO!!! when i was skiing last year though, my instructor told me that to qualify, you have to be able to do crazy things, like jumps on one leg or skiing backwards through a narrow cone path with your hands taped together etc.!! and i can promise you he wasnt joking (he has probably never joked in his life).

so that kind of made me stick to the academic stuff

ReputationRep:
    English Literature for me. I enjoyed it at GCSE, I should have done it instead of computing.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine or Economics I think. Might even've done Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    OMG ME TOO!!! when i was skiing last year though, my instructor told me that to qualify, you have to be able to do crazy things, like jumps on one leg or skiing backwards through a narrow cone path with your hands taped together etc.!! and i can promise you he wasnt joking (he has probably never joked in his life).

Those things aren't actually as hard as it sounds. Its a bit like some exams. You have to find the tricks to doing them. Practice hard and then you should be able to pass.

The only strange thing is that ESF instructors used to (they may still have to) beat a given time at Slalom but there were no actual "teaching" requirements

ReputationRep:
    i am happy that i did and am still doing maths.

ReputationRep:
    art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)

I've actually looked in to what it takes, and if you want to teach for the École de Ski Francais, you do have to do some incredible things, but they're just plain not keen on non-French teaching in the first place. In countries such as Austria, though, it's considerably easier. There are courses which, if you're already a competent skiier (i.e. Ski any piste in the majority of condtions, relatively confident off-piste in a variety of snow) , have a fairly high chance of getting you qualified in one season.

Unfortunately, the course costs several thousand pounds and would require a year out from your degree. I don't know if I'm willing to make such a commitment at the moment, but I'm quite seriously considering it for after I graduate. I already know some German, so it just seems to fit so well...

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy definetly.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto to straight philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Music. But I wouldn't enjoy the history aspect of it. Only the theory, composition and performance. But if push came to shove I'd bottle it and do physics or something.

In terms of degree, if I wasn't set upon doing Maths, I'd probably be looking at Medicine (runs in the family), or maybe a physical science.

ReputationRep:
    Law. Although I'm now doing physics, and also reckon I would have enjoyed chemistry/chemical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    English or Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to go with Physics, I'm not sure what type of physics degrees are available. Probably a pretty general one if possible. The last module of physics we did, Cosmology, was definately the most interesting work I've ever done. Also alot of maths is involved in physics, and I've covered quite a bit of mechanics which may get taught in uni physics, although I think the main problem with the mechanics was how the question is made, not the actual material (Like in a mechanics question about circular motion there would be algebra, whereas in physics its the same equations but less mathematical difficulty). The only other A-level I did was chemistry and I'd avoid that like the plague after exams. Revision was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Either Psychology, Philosophy, Physics, Computer science - Or a mixture of 2 of those, Those are the subjects I have an interest in, aside from Mathematics ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    I have never studied mathematics at university and I certainly never intend to.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.