TSR32332
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have learnt that Biochemistry isn't a favoured degree subject for IBD and other financial roles. Would a 3 year Biochemistry with management degree be looked upon favourably by financial institutions considering the modules include accounting, business economics etc?
Last edited by TSR32332; 1 month ago
TSR32332
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR32332)
I have learnt that Biochemistry isn't a favoured degree subject for IBD and other financial roles. Would a 3 year Biochemistry with management degree be looked upon favourably by financial institutions considering the modules include accounting, business economics etc?
??
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
uni brand matters
TSR32332
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
uni brand matters
Banks like Deutsche bank state they look for numerical ability when applying for IBD, if there was the opportunity to study Biochemistry with management at Imperial or chemistry/physics at a less branded university which one do you think would be looked at more favourably? Also, do you think the 3 year course with management would be looked at more favourably considering the last year is taught in Imperial business school?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Banks like Deutsche bank state they look for numerical ability when applying for IBD, if there was the opportunity to study Biochemistry with management at Imperial or chemistry/physics at a less branded university which one do you think would be looked at more favourably? Also, do you think the 3 year course with management would be looked at more favourably considering the last year is taught in Imperial business school?
subject doesn't matter / aslong as you justify whatever interest you have in the subject and can demonstrate academic excellence - imperial is a good university and would be looked at favourably, if complemented with a relatively strong profile.
TSR32332
Rep:
?
subject doesn't matter / aslong as you justify whatever interest you have in the subject and can demonstrate academic excellence - imperial is a good university and would be looked at favourably, if complemented with a relatively strong profile.
Do you think the 3 years joint management would be viewed more favourably due to the finance aspect of it as opposed to just biochemistry?
Last edited by TSR32332; 1 month ago
TSR32332
Rep:
?
Do you think the 3 years joint management would be viewed more favourably due to the finance aspect of it as opposed to just biochemistry?
??
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
refer above
krji0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they don't care about your subject choice - do something you enjoy but attend a target uni ideally. subject choice is irrelevant its the skills you learn through your extra curriculars. its that simple.
TSR32332
Rep:
?
refer above
Can I ask how you managed to cope with the hours in the IBD?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask how you managed to cope with the hours in the IBD?
i didn’t, i left a year and a half in

just sucked it up till there was an interesting opening to leave & got lucky in that respect
TSR32332
Rep:
?
i didn’t, i left a year and a half in

just sucked it up till there was an interesting opening to leave & got lucky in that respect
Was this exit only possible coming from the IBD? How did it compare in terms of hours/pay?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was this exit only possible coming from the IBD? How did it compare in terms of hours/pay?
yes,

9-6 hours, same base / lower bonus
TSR32332
Rep:
?
yes,

9-6 hours, same base / lower bonus
Did you secure a spring week in your first year? What other career options did you consider before deciding to work in the IBD? Thanks for your responses
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you secure a spring week in your first year? What other career options did you consider before deciding to work in the IBD? Thanks for your responses
yes, did a few spring weeks

accounting, journalism
TSR32332
Rep:
?
yes, did a few spring weeks

accounting, journalism
What made you chose IB over accounting and journalism?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What made you chose IB over accounting and journalism?
almost entirely a higher salary
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (48)
23.08%
My career doesn't need one (28)
13.46%
I'm sick of studying (43)
20.67%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.4%
I don't know enough about them (15)
7.21%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (69)
33.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise