57% turn it in similarity??? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I submitted an essay, and it’s got 57% Similarity score on turn it in? But everything that’s highlighted, I’ve cited and put in my reference list, apart from a few random words and sentences which can literally be found anywhere. I can’t change it as there’s no option to re submit? Please help I’m stressing. Am I going to be penalised?
Thidical
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I submitted an essay, and it’s got 57% Similarity score on turn it in? But everything that’s highlighted, I’ve cited and put in my reference list, apart from a few random words and sentences which can literally be found anywhere. I can’t change it as there’s no option to re submit? Please help I’m stressing. Am I going to be penalised?
As long as you have cited and referenced like you have said, you will be fine. Turnitin finds similarities but it doesn't "subtract" from your similarity %age if you have cited. Worry not
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like someone else said It should be fine
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably not a great essay with that high a score, but provided you have cited, it's not academic misconduct.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Probably not a great essay with that high a score, but provided you have cited, it's not academic misconduct.
Why would it not be a good essay though? I do have a lot of referencing (1 and a half pages)

I’m really confused because my uni friend said that her housemate had to go in front of a board of examiners because hers was really high:confused:
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would it not be a good essay though? I do have a lot of referencing (1 and a half pages)

I’m really confused because my uni friend said that her housemate had to go in front of a board of examiners because hers was really high:confused:
In my experience, essays with very high similarities ten to be derivative and over rely on sources

Well, unless you are a scientist in which case that changes a little
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

As gjd800 says, a high similarity indicates that it's the same tired old material which you've regurgitated. Nothing very new, no interesting sources, no interesting take on it - just a plain old lecture-based 'argument' that's worth a 62 and a bit of a yawn.

Lots of references doesn't necessarily correlate with a good answer. In fact, loads of references chucked in for the sake of it are far worse than fewer well-chosen authoritative references used very specifically and carefully to support your argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%