Hong Kong protests: only a few dozen people show up

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Demonstrators had threatened to paralyse the city on Monday morning

But only a few dozen protesters show up at lunchtime in Sha Tin, Cheung Sha Wan, and Tuen Mun

There was no disruption on the city’s roads, and only three minor incidents on the rail network, with just one causing a temporary suspension of services.

Around noon, a few dozen protesters showed up at lunchtime protests in three districts – Sha Tin, Cheung Sha Wan, and Tuen Mun. A crowd of less than 10 people tried to block a road in Mong Kok, but there was no protest in Central.

There were reports of three incidents involving objects thrown on to railway lines between 5am and 7am, and a rubbish bin thrown on to tracks near Sha Tin MTR station caused services to be briefly suspended.

Near Sheung Tak Estate, in Tseung Kwan O, a small group of protesters tried to use furniture and a rubbish bin to block a road, but police quickly cleared the debris, and arrested at least one protester.

In Lam Tin, outside Kai Tin Shopping Centre, more than 10 masked protesters briefly blocked traffic on Kai Tin Road with flower pots, bricks and traffic cones at about 9.10am, but a few people quickly helped move the objects about five minutes later as riot police arrived.

Riot police arrest a man outside Kai Tin Shopping Centre on Monday morning after the suspect tried to block a road

In busier parts of the city, such as Mong Kok, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, handfuls of protesters could be seen milling about, while some riot police were stationed nearby.

A group of about six men attempted to block Nathan Road in Mong Kok by placing rubbish in the road, but fled when riot police emerged.

At the junction of Argyle Street and Nathan Road, someone pressed the emergency button on a moving bus, forcing the driver to briefly pull over and temporarily suspended the service.

A Form Two student, surnamed Lau, said she had planned to block roads in Wan Chai, and had arrived at around 6am, only to find no protesters, but lots of riot police and reporters.

The 14-year-old was disappointed there had been no action in morning, after staying up all night to make sure she woke up on time. She felt the momentum among protests had dwindled.

“I feel like many people have given up … we will lose if this continues and the government will win,” she said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rike-turns-out
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Demonstrators had threatened to paralyse the city on Monday morning

But only a few dozen protesters show up at lunchtime in Sha Tin, Cheung Sha Wan, and Tuen Mun

There was no disruption on the city’s roads, and only three minor incidents on the rail network, with just one causing a temporary suspension of services.

Around noon, a few dozen protesters showed up at lunchtime protests in three districts – Sha Tin, Cheung Sha Wan, and Tuen Mun. A crowd of less than 10 people tried to block a road in Mong Kok, but there was no protest in Central.

There were reports of three incidents involving objects thrown on to railway lines between 5am and 7am, and a rubbish bin thrown on to tracks near Sha Tin MTR station caused services to be briefly suspended.

Near Sheung Tak Estate, in Tseung Kwan O, a small group of protesters tried to use furniture and a rubbish bin to block a road, but police quickly cleared the debris, and arrested at least one protester.

In Lam Tin, outside Kai Tin Shopping Centre, more than 10 masked protesters briefly blocked traffic on Kai Tin Road with flower pots, bricks and traffic cones at about 9.10am, but a few people quickly helped move the objects about five minutes later as riot police arrived.

Riot police arrest a man outside Kai Tin Shopping Centre on Monday morning after the suspect tried to block a road

In busier parts of the city, such as Mong Kok, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, handfuls of protesters could be seen milling about, while some riot police were stationed nearby.

A group of about six men attempted to block Nathan Road in Mong Kok by placing rubbish in the road, but fled when riot police emerged.

At the junction of Argyle Street and Nathan Road, someone pressed the emergency button on a moving bus, forcing the driver to briefly pull over and temporarily suspended the service.

A Form Two student, surnamed Lau, said she had planned to block roads in Wan Chai, and had arrived at around 6am, only to find no protesters, but lots of riot police and reporters.

The 14-year-old was disappointed there had been no action in morning, after staying up all night to make sure she woke up on time. She felt the momentum among protests had dwindled.

“I feel like many people have given up … we will lose if this continues and the government will win,” she said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rike-turns-out
It was clear that China would win this one. The protestors played themselves.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Around 800,000 people marched on Sunday so it's pretty clear that the protesters haven't "given up" :rolleyes:
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
800,000 people marching the day before does not sound like "giving up" it sounds like taking a day off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (186)
43.66%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.5%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.75%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
20.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (44)
10.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.87%

Watched Threads