starfishplatinum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know any colleges in Calderdale that do Triple Science GCSE re-sit courses? I'm looking to actually achieve the 7's and 8's I was meant to get so I can drop out of art college and do A-level Bio and Chem.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by starfishplatinum)
Does anyone know any colleges in Calderdale that do Triple Science GCSE re-sit courses? I'm looking to actually achieve the 7's and 8's I was meant to get so I can drop out of art college and do A-level Bio and Chem.
There can't be that many colleges in Calderdale to ring up and ask them all directly?

Why do you want to take A level Bio and Chem? there's often alternative routes/qualifications that might be a better choice.
starfishplatinum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
There can't be that many colleges in Calderdale to ring up and ask them all directly?

Why do you want to take A level Bio and Chem? there's often alternative routes/qualifications that might be a better choice.
I need the A-Level qualifications from both to be able to apply for the marine biology course in Hull it seems, and I'm also annoyed at the results I got in my GCSE's. I prefer academic courses to practical courses, which is why I'm wanting to take the A-Level courses too.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by starfishplatinum)
I need the A-Level qualifications from both to be able to apply for the marine biology course in Hull it seems, and I'm also annoyed at the results I got in my GCSE's. I prefer academic courses to practical courses, which is why I'm wanting to take the A-Level courses too.
Depending what you're studying at the moment then you could instead take an Access to HE Diploma (Pass Access to HE Diploma (Science) including 18 credits in Biology at merit or higher) - that's 1 year instead of 2 for A levels and doesn't require you to resit GCSEs first to start.

Alternatively if you're sure you want to go to Hull then their foundation year option would also be better that resitting GCSEs and taking A levels from scratch (I'm not a big fan of foundation years when there's an option to get the same qualification in a year but you're looking at 3 years minimum of FE study to get onto the degree - compared to that a foundation year at a university is a good option.

Edit: if you prefer academic to practical courses then marine biology is not a great choice. It's a highly practical degree.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (42)
28%
1 (23)
15.33%
2 (25)
16.67%
3 (20)
13.33%
4 (9)
6%
5 (14)
9.33%