European firms sidestepping ‘futile’ tariffs, not moving from China to US, survey sug

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
‘Repetitive swings of the tariff hammer have proven anything but strategic,’ according to EU Chamber of Commerce

But smaller European companies ‘taking a steady beating’ as a result of tariffs

US tariffs have failed to attract investment to the United States or pressure China into structural reforms, an influential European business lobby group has said after its research suggested large companies had found ways around the charges.

Large European companies operating in China had “effectively sidestepped” tariffs imposed by Washington and Beijing, the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China said in its latest survey on the tariffs on Monday.

However, its survey of firms found that smaller companies were taking “a steady beating” as a result of tariffs.

“That European companies in China have effectively negated tariff effects in a relatively short space of time only serves to highlight the futility of bilateral tariffs in a global marketplace.”

Large companies with global footprints had re-routed the origins and destinations of US or China-bound products to avoid the US-China trade border, “rendering the bilateral tariffs ineffective”, the survey found.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...ffs-not-moving
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (112)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (334)
14.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (242)
10.85%
Lack of purpose or motivation (310)
13.9%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (103)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (129)
5.78%
Loneliness (192)
8.61%
Financial worries (86)
3.85%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (94)
4.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (105)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (119)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (195)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (210)
9.41%

Watched Threads