The Student Room Group

Housing price and accommodations

Hi guys, so first of all I’m from outside of the Uk (but still from Europe) and I suffer from EDS and the biggest problem it causes me is that my joints hurt a lot.

So walking long distances and many flights of stairs is really hard. I can do it, but the pain is just awful.

So I was looking into accommodations that the uni can make when it comes to housing. Having accommodation at campus would be amazing (less walking = less pain) but the price is just too high.

So I was wondering, do you know whether uni would help me with paying for the accommodation on campus or something like that? What help would I be able to get from them? Especially as an international student? Thanks for the help :smile:
You can always ask the Student support at University about it. You never know you may get the answer you wanted
Reply 2
Original post by Emma_99
Hi guys, so first of all I’m from outside of the Uk (but still from Europe) and I suffer from EDS and the biggest problem it causes me is that my joints hurt a lot.

So walking long distances and many flights of stairs is really hard. I can do it, but the pain is just awful.

So I was looking into accommodations that the uni can make when it comes to housing. Having accommodation at campus would be amazing (less walking = less pain) but the price is just too high.

So I was wondering, do you know whether uni would help me with paying for the accommodation on campus or something like that? What help would I be able to get from them? Especially as an international student? Thanks for the help :smile:

I've just realised you posted this quite a while ago, but in case you still need to know or anybody else in a similar situation comes across this...

Contact your unis student support about accommodation and DSA (disabled students allowance).
I believe the most likely scenario is uni helps make sure you have on campus accommodation that suits your needs and DSA helps with the cost.

It was a few years ago that I was at uni, but my uni was great with setting me up in the perfect room and DSA helped with the cost (basically they paid the extra vs a more standard set up because it was my health issues that meant I needed the more expensive set up).

DSA can also help with other things. With your EDS that might mean thigs like writing aids (special pens, a laptop to type notes on, a person to write for you in exams etc), a supportive chair for you sit on, transport if you're unable to get close accommodation. Have a think about how your condition(s) make uni related things more challenging and what might help that. You'll get an assessment where you discuss that and they work out what support they can give you.
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
I've just realised you posted this quite a while ago, but in case you still need to know or anybody else in a similar situation comes across this...

Contact your unis student support about accommodation and DSA (disabled students allowance).
I believe the most likely scenario is uni helps make sure you have on campus accommodation that suits your needs and DSA helps with the cost.

It was a few years ago that I was at uni, but my uni was great with setting me up in the perfect room and DSA helped with the cost (basically they paid the extra vs a more standard set up because it was my health issues that meant I needed the more expensive set up).

DSA can also help with other things. With your EDS that might mean thigs like writing aids (special pens, a laptop to type notes on, a person to write for you in exams etc), a supportive chair for you sit on, transport if you're unable to get close accommodation. Have a think about how your condition(s) make uni related things more challenging and what might help that. You'll get an assessment where you discuss that and they work out what support they can give you.

Will be dsa available for me if I’m not from Uk? I’m from eu country. I don’t have my country’s disable status because our rules are quite rigid. You get it if you really can’t study, work etc and no one cares that I’m in pain if I still can do everything. Your answer was so so helpful! I didn’t know that dsa can help you with accommodation costs I thought it was only for doctors etc
Reply 4
Original post by Emma_99
Will be dsa available for me if I’m not from Uk? I’m from eu country. I don’t have my country’s disable status because our rules are quite rigid. You get it if you really can’t study, work etc and no one cares that I’m in pain if I still can do everything. Your answer was so so helpful! I didn’t know that dsa can help you with accommodation costs I thought it was only for doctors etc

Oh no you're right that foreign students are unable to claim DSA. Still it's worth talking to your uni though because they may be able to help. They often do have funds or allowances to help students in need. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
Oh no you're right that foreign students are unable to claim DSA. Still it's worth talking to your uni though because they may be able to help. They often do have funds or allowances to help students in need. :smile:

That’s a pity, well I will definitely talk to the uni after I get my offers :wink: thanks for the help
Yes Kindred is right. About getting DSA, you would've been if you were British (I know the fact cos I am profoundly deaf). As for a foreigner, you probably will not get any help from DSA, however you will most likely get help from University's Student Support, and like Kindred mentioned, maybe they do have funds or allowance for you (cannot promise).

If I were you, I would rather talk to University Support BEFORE I get my offers. One University might get poorer level of support while the other get greater support. It is important that you talk to each of the University you are waiting to get offers.

Good luck with your choice of offers and the talk with them

Quick Reply

Latest