AlfieWest11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I’m not very good at talking to people about my issues so I’m hoping to do it under the radar behind my keyboard here.

I was at University studying Law with the aim to becoming a lawyer. During my final year I was jumped on a night out by 4 men and subsequently I ended up in hospital with a Brain Haemorrhage. After many weeks of recovery I managed to graduate with lots of mitigating circumstances help with a 2:1.

I think this led me to believe that I was back to the person I was before the Haemorrhage happened so I applied to do my LPC. 3 months in to it and I am really struggling. I feel like I am way behind, no matter how hard I try. I understand that it is a difficult course, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel like I am reflecting the work I was capable of before my injury.

Some parts of me are also becoming unsure whether I really want to be a lawyer, so this is starting to make me even unhappier. I know life gets in the way sometimes and finding your passion in working life is somewhat of a pipe dream, but I am conflicted whether to continue to put all my eggs in this basket.

Dropping out feels like an option on one hand but I feel like finishing it would be positive no matter what. The fundamental issue is that if I continue with it, I’m not sure if I will be able to pass.

Any thoughts would be great, I’m sorry if this is a bit full on as well! Thank you
śilvers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlfieWest11)
Hi everyone, I’m not very good at talking to people about my issues so I’m hoping to do it under the radar behind my keyboard here.

I was at University studying Law with the aim to becoming a lawyer. During my final year I was jumped on a night out by 4 men and subsequently I ended up in hospital with a Brain Haemorrhage. After many weeks of recovery I managed to graduate with lots of mitigating circumstances help with a 2:1.

I think this led me to believe that I was back to the person I was before the Haemorrhage happened so I applied to do my LPC. 3 months in to it and I am really struggling. I feel like I am way behind, no matter how hard I try. I understand that it is a difficult course, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel like I am reflecting the work I was capable of before my injury.

Some parts of me are also becoming unsure whether I really want to be a lawyer, so this is starting to make me even unhappier. I know life gets in the way sometimes and finding your passion in working life is somewhat of a pipe dream, but I am conflicted whether to continue to put all my eggs in this basket.

Dropping out feels like an option on one hand but I feel like finishing it would be positive no matter what. The fundamental issue is that if I continue with it, I’m not sure if I will be able to pass.

Any thoughts would be great, I’m sorry if this is a bit full on as well! Thank you
Hi! I’m sorry you had to go through that tragedy and I’m glad you recovered well. I did a really quick search in Google and I read that brain injuries can lead to less functional cognitive processes, including problems with motivation. This may be one of the factors why you are not doing as well as before and why you start to doubt about your goal.

Sometimes, as young people, we set a pathway leading to something we thought we want, and as we grow older and more mature we begin to realise what our passion really is. But more often than not, we know what we want to do but is later on discouraged due to present circumstances. In times like this, you need to look back and remember why you wanted to do it in the first place, and then you continue to do your best to achieve that goal despite difficulties.

You are in control of your future and of your present choices. Choose the option that you feel is the best and will benefit you at the same time. You need to decide whether or not you want to take the risk and continue on studying.

Think carefully if you really want to be a lawyer. We are always told to do the things we are happy about but in the world we live in, we can’t be happy all the time. Pick a choice that is both realistic and not destructive for you. At the end of the day, your feelings are still important
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlfieWest11)

It might be that you need to take a year out and figure out what is best for you. Have you spoke with your LPC provider about what your options might be? Maybe you could ask to defer and use the time to rest and recover.

Having been jumped before, I know how much it can shake you. And I went through nothing compared to what it sounds like you have. Maybe all you need is a little time to regroup mentally?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (48)
26.09%
1 (30)
16.3%
2 (34)
18.48%
3 (25)
13.59%
4 (12)
6.52%
5 (16)
8.7%