Possible Withdrawal from Uni Watch

StudentPara23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

I’m currently repeating my first year, however, and unfortunately, due to physical and mental health reasons, I have decided it is best that I withdraw from university, take some time out to work on my health, and then try to apply for a student paramedic role through a trust (I’ll find I’ll have more time to myself for self care as I won’t have to work alongside university - I’ve already asked them for financial support and they won’t help).

Does anyone have any advice for how to talk to uni about my decision?

Thank you!
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you drop out now if you try to return to university at another time you will find you will have to fund your first year yourself. Possibly your 2nd year as well.

What this means in reality is you may never be able to afford to redo university due to the cost.

I'd strongly recommend not to drop out.

That being said if you want to drop out all you need to do is tell your lecturer/ course leader and they will advise you further.
StudentPara23
Rep:
?
I don’t tend to apply back to university, I was going to apply via a trust so I will earn as I learn and they will fund the one year that I will need to do at university to get my BsC
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentPara23)
I don’t tend to apply back to university, I was going to apply via a trust so I will earn as I learn and they will fund the one year that I will need to do at university to get my BsC
I dont know how that will work to be honest. But I know nothing about the NHS or trusts.
But I know paramedic courses can be highly competitive and some like you to have a C1 licence.

I'd advise you find out how likely it is you will be accepted onto it before dropping out. Be 100% sure before making a decision in regards to university. Also they may well frown on the fact that you dropped out of university. Because I presume you will be competing with people who have not dropped out.

But again I do not know. I am sure there is a paramedic section on this forum in which you can get more information.
Also what are your issues in regards to your health and are these not things that could be fixed?

The thing is I have dropped out before and you stop looking at things objectively. You also try to justify your excuses for dropping out.
For example, I dropped out because the train fare was too expensive for me.. But I could of carried on but in truth I had enough of education at the time and the course was not for me. But without a doubt I took the easy route out and I regret it.
StudentPara23
Rep:
?
I have recently been diagnosed with iron deficient anaemia which before seeing a doctor caused me to be extremely lethargic (I was sleeping easily 12-15 hours a day and still feeling like I hadn’t got enough sleep), even now, I still find that I am napping everyday, because of this I can’t focus on any studying, i had one exam at the beginning of the year which I was able to study really hard on and got 70%, the second exam I couldn’t focus at all when it came to studying and got 45%.
My course is also very full on as I have uni Monday-Friday 9-5 then I have to put in extra study time at home, and I work weekends. As you can imagine, this leaves little to no time for me to relax and do things I want and it is taking its toll on my mental health which isn’t great anyway. The lecturers aren’t very supportive when it comes to that either as when I spoke to them about it, they didn’t seem to care.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentPara23)
Hi!

I’m currently repeating my first year, however, and unfortunately, due to physical and mental health reasons, I have decided it is best that I withdraw from university, take some time out to work on my health, and then try to apply for a student paramedic role through a trust (I’ll find I’ll have more time to myself for self care as I won’t have to work alongside university - I’ve already asked them for financial support and they won’t help).

Does anyone have any advice for how to talk to uni about my decision?

Thank you!
Hi there StudentPara23

As adam271 says, if you ever wanted to return to university after dropping out this year, due to your previous years study you would need to self fund your first year.

However, being as you'e said you intend to apply for paramedic training via a trust, to answer your query. I'd contact your personal tutor first and discuss your options. You might find you need to have a meeting with your universities Student Administration department to ensure you are making the correct decision for you and then you will probably have some paperwork to complete. Your personal tutor will be able to advise you on the correct process for your university.

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (148)
52.11%
No (136)
47.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed