Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I’m not very good at talking to people about my issues so I’m hoping to do it under the radar behind my keyboard here.

I was at University studying Law with the aim to becoming a lawyer. During my final year I was jumped on a night out by 4 men and subsequently I ended up in hospital with a Brain Haemorrhage. After many weeks of recovery I managed to graduate with lots of mitigating circumstances help with a 2:1.

I think this led me to believe that I was back to the person I was before the Haemorrhage happened so I applied to do my LPC. 3 months in to it and I am really struggling. I feel like I am way behind, no matter how hard I try. I understand that it is a difficult course, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel like I am reflecting the work I was capable of before my injury.

Some parts of me are also becoming unsure whether I really want to be a lawyer, so this is starting to make me even unhappier. I know life gets in the way sometimes and finding your passion in working life is somewhat of a pipe dream, but I am conflicted whether to continue to put all my eggs in this basket.

Dropping out feels like an option on one hand but I feel like finishing it would be positive no matter what. The fundamental issue is that if I continue with it, I’m not sure if I will be able to pass.

Any thoughts would be great, I’m sorry if this is a bit full on as well! Thank you
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone, I’m not very good at talking to people about my issues so I’m hoping to do it under the radar behind my keyboard here.

I was at University studying Law with the aim to becoming a lawyer. During my final year I was jumped on a night out by 4 men and subsequently I ended up in hospital with a Brain Haemorrhage. After many weeks of recovery I managed to graduate with lots of mitigating circumstances help with a 2:1.

I think this led me to believe that I was back to the person I was before the Haemorrhage happened so I applied to do my LPC. 3 months in to it and I am really struggling. I feel like I am way behind, no matter how hard I try. I understand that it is a difficult course, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel like I am reflecting the work I was capable of before my injury.

Some parts of me are also becoming unsure whether I really want to be a lawyer, so this is starting to make me even unhappier. I know life gets in the way sometimes and finding your passion in working life is somewhat of a pipe dream, but I am conflicted whether to continue to put all my eggs in this basket.

Dropping out feels like an option on one hand but I feel like finishing it would be positive no matter what. The fundamental issue is that if I continue with it, I’m not sure if I will be able to pass.

Any thoughts would be great, I’m sorry if this is a bit full on as well! Thank you
Sorry for what you have gone through and kudos for finishing your degree with a 2.1 despite everything.

If you want to finish the LPC, one option could be to talk to the uni about transferring onto the part time course instead (if they do one) in order to give yourself some breathing space.

If you do feel in the end that dropping out is the best option, don't be too discouraged. My daughter literally forced herself to finish the GDL despite hating it and she only scraped a Pass which hasn't helped her in life tbh. She doesn't even put it on her CV anymore so doing the course could be seen as wasted fees but we prefer to look on it as a learning exercise in that she learnt that Law was not for her. I know your situation is different in that you have a Law degree but the skills you learnt on that course are transferable to other careers if you feel that you don't want to become a solicitor.

Best of Luck in whatever you decide to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%