Boris Johnson defends banning gay people from joining the military in shocking articl Watch

This discussion is closed.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Boris Johnson defended those who oppose gay people in the military, claiming that “they are, of course, right” in a newly emerged article he wrote for The Spectator.

In the same article the current leader of the Conservative party also defended foxhunting and the Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, who tortured tens of thousands of people between 1973 and 1990.

In another column he suggested that there was “a grit of truth” in the homophobic Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe’s claim the Labour Party was composed of “gay gangsters.”

And he complained that police officers were too busy “stuck on racial awareness programmes” or trying to “catch paedophiles in ancient public schools” to investigate the theft of his bike.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/12/0...cle-spectator/
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Boris Johnson defended those who oppose gay people in the military, claiming that “they are, of course, right” in a newly emerged article he wrote for The Spectator.
Maybe but his detractors are people who defend totalitarian and dictatorial societies where people are locked up in concentration camps for thought crimes or even worse, so... he's still a better person than you.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Maybe but his detractors are people who defend totalitarian and dictatorial societies where people are locked up in concentration camps for thought crimes or even worse, so... he's still a better person than you.
I find it hard to think that there is anyone on TSR who is worse than Mr Johnson. The Conservative Party had 9 or 10 other leadership candidates who were better than Mr Johnson (possibly Esther McVey is worse for condoning child neglect by the McCanns).

You might argue these were views of 20 years ago and perhaps his views have changed, but he still lies on an industrial scale, has in the intervening years cheated on his shortly to be ex-wife on many occasions, and in that time used racist language in several articles.

Easily the worst Prime Minister ever, or at least since Lord North.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I find it hard to think that there is anyone on TSR who is worse than Mr Johnson. The Conservative Party had 9 or 10 other leadership candidates who were better than Mr Johnson (possibly Esther McVey is worse for condoning child neglect by the McCanns).

You might argue these were views of 20 years ago and perhaps his views have changed, but he still lies on an industrial scale, has in the intervening years cheated on his shortly to be ex-wife on many occasions, and in that time used racist language in several articles.

Easily the worst Prime Minister ever, or at least since Lord North.
I don't really care how a politician spends their private time. Just as I wouldn't take kindly in my employer taking an interest in what I do out of hours.

I'm going to make a guess we have different ideas on what constitutes racist language. Or even what constitutes a race. I. E: it isn't interchangeable with religion.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
piece of ****
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
piece of ****
He made those comments like 30 years ago.

Times have changed a lot since then. You're 16 so couldn't possibly know.

It's unlikely he would say those same comments today.......

I don't really agree with people digging up stuff that people said many years ago and then dragging them through the mud for it. Society was different back then. More people opposed gays than were in favour of it. It was only in like the late 90 or something that two 16 year old males could legally have sex with each other. Fair enough if Johnson made those comments today make a big deal out of it [if you want to], but these are old comments
Last edited by ANM775; 1 month ago
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
who cares. **** the military and wars. i'd never join anyway.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, that's not what he was saying. But you do you.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh come on. I don't like Johnson but this was 3 decades ago when gay people could not be out in the military, this was only changed in 2000. I'm sure many politicians at the time held similar views, doesn't make it right but times were different then.
If you are going to criticise someone criticise them for things they are saying and doing now, that goes for Corbyn and anyone else. There is plenty to criticise these leaders for without dragging stuff up from decades ago.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

In the same article the current leader of the Conservative party also defended foxhunting and the Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, who tortured tens of thousands of people between 1973 and 1990.

In another column he suggested that there was “a grit of truth” in the homophobic Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe’s claim the Labour Party was composed of “gay gangsters.”

And he complained that police officers were too busy “stuck on racial awareness programmes” or trying to “catch paedophiles in ancient public schools” to investigate the theft of his bike.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/12/0...cle-spectator/
It’s an old article but I highly doubt considering the fact he hasn’t apologised and his voting record on LGBT issues his views have changed that much
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
He made those comments like 30 years ago.

Times have changed a lot since then. You're 16 so couldn't possibly know.

It's unlikely he would say those same comments today.......

I don't really agree with people digging up stuff that people said many years ago and then dragging them through the mud for it. Society was different back then. More people opposed gays than were in favour of it. It was only in like the late 90 or something that two 16 year old males could legally have sex with each other. Fair enough if Johnson made those comments today make a big deal out of it [if you want to], but these are old comments
True, we did this at A-level history and although most people think of homosexuality being decriminalised in 1967 it was only for gay men 21+ and in private. Private constituted areas that weren't flats, hotels or any public owned building.
Can't remember the exact dates now but as you say the age limit was only reduced to the same as straight couples fairly recently in the grand scheme of things.
As a gay person I am far more interested in current discrimination from a concerned point of view than I am mulling over the past. Something like 50% of the general public were against homosexuality in the 90s iirc, hardly a rare viewpoint for the time.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can we stick to the here and now please, I'm sure most us regret things we said 10 years ago let alone 30 years.
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And of course there are people defending him in the comments... lol. Boris Johnson doesn’t care about any of you.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
I don't really care how a politician spends their private time. Just as I wouldn't take kindly in my employer taking an interest in what I do out of hours.

I'm going to make a guess we have different ideas on what constitutes racist language. Or even what constitutes a race. I. E: it isn't interchangeable with religion.
I care because it shows how he treats women.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
And of course there are people defending him in the comments... lol. Boris Johnson doesn’t care about any of you.
No politician does. I would say the same whatever party this came from, I am no fan of any party but people digging up stuff from decades ago is pretty low journalism.
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
No politician does. I would say the same whatever party this came from, I am no fan of any party but people digging up stuff from decades ago is pretty low journalism.
Jeremy Corbyn does. I’m not a fan of people digging up stuff from when people are like 10 years old but this man was in his late 20’s saying homophobic ****. And did he even apologise? In my opinion, when you’re racist and homophobic you’ll always be that way. That mentality is so hard to change. If you’re like that in this diverse country then what will make you change ?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jeremy Corbyn does.
Hahahaha
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Hahahaha
You can laugh all you want but we at least know he has more empathy than this fool. Boris Johnson doesn’t even try to hide that he has no care in the world.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can laugh all you want but we at least know he has more empathy than this fool. Boris Johnson doesn’t even try to hide that he has no care in the world.
Do we, though?

Ask all the Jewish ex-Labour party members and MPs
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Do we, though?

Ask all the Jewish ex-Labour party members and MPs
Jeremy corbyn doesn’t hate Jewish people. He hates what they’re doing to poor Palestinians. But I’m assuming you don’t agree with that. Even though there is a kid probably being bombed right now by one. But no let’s focus on that and forget all the terrible things Boris says
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (66)
27.39%
1 (40)
16.6%
2 (40)
16.6%
3 (33)
13.69%
4 (16)
6.64%
5 (20)
8.3%