Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I need to hand in my notice soon but have no idea how to write one and what one is supposed to look like! Help! Just leaving coz going to uni soon, so what do I write? Does it have to be formal, typed etc no idea lol

EDIT:

k guys i attempted writing one, tell me if its ok. i've never acutally written a formal letter before or am any good at writing!

so at the top it goes my address on the left and the company address on the right?

then:

To the manager (our line manager has recently left and im not sure which manager is responsible now),

I am writing to inform you that I will no longer be able to work for you because I am off to university soon.

I would like my last day of work to be the 30th August 2008.

I have enjoyed working at ____ and would like to thank you for the skills and work experience that I have gained.

(signature)
    my name.

lol improve it for me? first sentence can sound a bit better i think.
    is there anything else i need to mention such as references etc

thanks

ReputationRep:
    im gonna be handing mine in on friday aswell so this will be handy for me!
    my friend who quit the other weeks went something like this though!
    i am writing to inform you of my 3 weeks notice blah blah. stuff thanking the manager blah. skills picked up blah!
    the date of my last shift will be: blah!
    name!
    typed in a proper letter format!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr15chr15)
    im gonna be handing mine in on friday aswell so this will be handy for me!
    my friend who quit the other weeks went something like this though!
    i am writing to inform you of my 3 weeks notice blah blah. stuff thanking the manager blah. skills picked up blah!
    the date of my last shift will be: blah!
    name!
    typed in a proper letter format!
    Do you think you should give a reason?

ReputationRep:
    Just write, your address and then the company address in the usual formal letter format.

And something like this:-

I regret to inform you that from the ----- of ----- I will no longer be able to work for ---------.
    This is due to the fact --------------------------------------.
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the skills that I have gained over the past -----.

Then sign your name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflyingpig)
    Do you think you should give a reason?
    he didnt but thats coz his reason was the manager was a ****!
    but i prob will because my reasons the same as yours and coz my manager is a ****!

ReputationRep:
    well make sure you have an informal chat with your manager first tho right?

ReputationRep:
    When I resigned from Matalan, I wrote that I'd like my last shift to be x and that my P45 and any further documents to be sent to my address as above. I did have another job to go to, but i didn't mention that in the letter. You could mention that your job does not give you the ability to study at undergraduate level and work. I also left because of money, but never mention that in a letter of resignation, if someone asks you never give that as a reason. Some places will interview you before you leave whilst others will not, i was suppose to get one with Matalan but i never did.

ReputationRep:
    help

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.