The Student Room Group

Ever since I got dismissed its been much harder to get employment

I'm not surprised by this, but I'm still quite young, have skills to offer, and I'm trying to be positive about it, rather than dwell on it.

I got dismissed basically because I wasn't meeting targets, my personal life was chaotic, and I had a lot of mental health issues (which the company knew about), and they extended my probation, and then promised it a second time verbally, but then decided to get rid of me.

Despite knowing I was performing under par, I did feel I had the rug pulled from under me, even if, to a degree they were justified in it. I left amicably in the end, but I can't help but feel a little cheated because my immediate line manager kept painting a rosey picture of my performance, and I felt a bit misled.

I just didn't think it would affect me as much as it has in finding work, given the above, but I'm getting really fed up now.

I've been applying and applying for roles, almost all of them ask about previous dismissals, which I've disclosed - either at application form, or interview.

I just had a telephone interview with Capita, and she asked me about any dismissals, and I told her straight that I got let go from my last employer, detailing personal circumstances, affected my work at that time.

She basically told me, she couldn't take my application any further as a result of this, and the checks they carry out. But encouraged me to look out for other vacancies in the future, with Capita, should time elapse, I'd be able to apply for a role, later down the line. I felt this was a copout tbh.

I didn't want to lie, but some people have advised me to do so.

What advice could you give?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well I have always said honesty is the best policy, if you were to lie and were found out you would probably be dismissed immediately, so it is just not worth it.
Full credit to you, it is quite a rare quality in this day and age.
Keep applying for jobs, you will get something in the future I'm sure.
There is an old saying throw enough mud against the wall, some will stick.
Good luck and stay positive and focused.
Original post by royal1990
I'm not surprised by this, but I'm still quite young, have skills to offer, and I'm trying to be positive about it, rather than dwell on it.

I got dismissed basically because I wasn't meeting targets, my personal life was chaotic, and I had a lot of mental health issues (which the company knew about), and they extended my probation, and then promised it a second time verbally, but then decided to get rid of me.

Despite knowing I was performing under par, I did feel I had the rug pulled from under me, even if, to a degree they were justified in it. I left amicably in the end, but I can't help but feel a little cheated because my immediate line manager kept painting a rosey picture of my performance, and I felt a bit misled.

I just didn't think it would affect me as much as it has in finding work, given the above, but I'm getting really fed up now.

I've been applying and applying for roles, almost all of them ask about previous dismissals, which I've disclosed - either at application form, or interview.

I just had a telephone interview with Capita, and she asked me about any dismissals, and I told her straight that I got let go from my last employer, detailing personal circumstances, affected my work at that time.

She basically told me, she couldn't take my application any further as a result of this, and the checks they carry out. But encouraged me to look out for other vacancies in the future, with Capita, should time elapse, I'd be able to apply for a role, later down the line. I felt this was a copout tbh.

I didn't want to lie, but some people have advised me to do so.

What advice could you give?

try a job that needs physical help extra man power than is willing to hire without needing to sign any paperwork i am working at a horse ranch and have been for the last 3-4 months and havent ran across a single problem
Hi

Perhaps try something a bit different? ;-)

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/find-your-role

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Lol look at me. And I got sacked over a violent love triangle. I also never left as you put it..amicably. I also confront certain people who reject me but I won't get into that. The fact that I still can find jobs ...though I know I better calm the whole telling people to **** themselves thing lol. I've had six jobs this year. Lol. But that means six times...i was accepted..despite my track record and criminal record...and you know one major way I do it? I don't lie. But I withhold..
Reply 5
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol look at me. And I got sacked over a violent love triangle. I also never left as you put it..amicably. I also confront certain people who reject me but I won't get into that. The fact that I still can find jobs ...though I know I better calm the whole telling people to **** themselves thing lol. I've had six jobs this year. Lol. But that means six times...i was accepted..despite my track record and criminal record...and you know one major way I do it? I don't lie. But I withhold..

So I should lie effectively? I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel outright lying. I'm quite an honest person, with a big conscience so I think it would be hard for me to hide the embarrassment that I've just lied.

I understand to some degree, you wanting to withhold information, I've done this before in other contexts, perhaps its about framing the reasons I got dismissed, in a different way?

The thing is, it seems to be those that are incredibly successful that tend to lie the most, get away with it as well, because they are ruthless.

I'm not ruthless, I'm honest, down to earth, and not as thick skinned. Maybe that is the downfall.
Reply 6
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Hello Adam,

Your response was much appreciated.

I'd love to do something different, especially in the armed forces, where I could use my transferable skills. However, the military in general is off limits for me.

I'm physically restricted, due to disability.

About ten years ago as a teenager I was told by Army recruitment I'd be unable to pass their medical requirements, but thank you all the same.
Reply 7
Original post by r.a.d man
try a job that needs physical help extra man power than is willing to hire without needing to sign any paperwork i am working at a horse ranch and have been for the last 3-4 months and havent ran across a single problem

I'm not as physically able to do that kind of work. I have a long standing physical disability, from infancy. Which means manual labour, or anything really that is too physical I can't do.

I'm sort of looking also within office roles, and things that are less demanding, but the problem is mental health related issues too, and the fact I got dismissed, is making it harder for me to find anything.
I never tell potential employers that I got sacked, there are much better ways of spinning it. I normally opt for that area of work wasn't quite what I was looking for.
Reply 9
Original post by Karisa96
Well I have always said honesty is the best policy, if you were to lie and were found out you would probably be dismissed immediately, so it is just not worth it.
Full credit to you, it is quite a rare quality in this day and age.
Keep applying for jobs, you will get something in the future I'm sure.
There is an old saying throw enough mud against the wall, some will stick.
Good luck and stay positive and focused.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes they say honesty is the best policy. I'm not so sure in practise.

She even said to me over the phone: "Due to the nature of this role, you will undergo various checks. Credit, criminal and other ones. So it is important for you to be honest with us throughout, as it may result in you been dismissed later on down the line, should we employ you.".

So yeah, when she asked "Have you ever been dismissed in the last 3 years from any role?", I was honest, and it pretty much stopped her dead in her tracks, and she kind of squirmed out of it, and said she was very sorry, the usual, but we couldn't proceed any further, due to the checks we carry out - 'but do check if there were any roles you feel you might apply for', and I was thinking, 'well, why would I after you just said that'. It isn't like I was fired for gross misconduct either, but then I maybe didn't come across in the best light, when explaining it.

Its very hard to explain why you were terminated positively - in terms of damage limitation. You can't be too subjective, you have to be objective without limiting your chances.

Its such a shame I have to struggle like this, when many other people just seem to breeze through to interviews and such like.

If I don't fall down due to my dismissal its because I have poor credit, or an old Police caution or whatever. Its just such a struggle. I don't expect everyone to forgive me of my poor start in life, or my history, but I've always kept going, and achieved a lot in my life, in spite of this. I just want to earn an honest living, without having to flog my guts for peanuts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
I never tell potential employers that I got sacked, there are much better ways of spinning it. I normally opt for that area of work wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Yeah I struggle with the spinning part. Especially since, I'm still looking for office work, because apart from working in hotels, and restaurants that is all I've done. I've had a spate as a freelance designer, but half the time, I had to volunteer my services, and offer, rather than have paying clients jumping up and down.

The reasons they gave me was because of sicknesses early on, and not meeting targets, so its hard to spin that. But my ability to perform was impacted by my mental health. Its just many prospective employers wouldn't accept that, and my former employer is under no obligation to disclose it. I left amicably from my former employer, but in hindsight I feel I should have challenged it, if I knew it was going to be this much hassle in my future going forward.

My former company also knew of my mental health struggles, and I basically did have a breakdown, I think the MH thing factored into my dismissal more than they let on, they just couldn't actually say this was why they wanted to terminate my contract.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I struggle with the spinning part. Especially since, I'm still looking for office work, because apart from working in hotels, and restaurants that is all I've done. I've had a spate as a freelance designer, but half the time, I had to volunteer my services, and offer, rather than have paying clients jumping up and down.

The reasons they gave me was because of sicknesses early on, and not meeting targets, so its hard to spin that. But my ability to perform was impacted by my mental health. Its just many prospective employers wouldn't accept that, and my former employer is under no obligation to disclose it. I left amicably from my former employer, but in hindsight I feel I should have challenged it, if I knew it was going to be this much hassle in my future going forward.

My former company also knew of my mental health struggles, and I basically did have a breakdown, I think the MH thing factored into my dismissal more than they let on, they just couldn't actually say this was why they wanted to terminate my contract.

Not all 'office work' is the same, I went from one professional services job to another shockingly both based in offices.

I was sacked because I refused to do my job because I felt it was unethical. I don't say that in interviews because nobody wants an employee that might undermine them.
Reply 12
Not all 'office work' is the same, I went from one professional services job to another shockingly both based in offices.

I was sacked because I refused to do my job because I felt it was unethical. I don't say that in interviews because nobody wants an employee that might undermine them.

Yeah, I agree, the scope of responsibilities within admin / customer services in office work is very broad. Which means it can be very difficult to fit the employer mould. Especially for me, I only have about 4 months office experience, working for a well-known exam board. Mainly answering inbound calls, making the odd outbound call to customers, but mainly communicating internally with other departments.

I hope to find another similar role very soon, but its hard getting over that dismissal, or rather, getting them to overlook it, because if I tell them I didn't meet targets or they are not satisfied with my reasoning, they may deduce it isn't the line of work for me.
Yeah, I agree, the scope of responsibilities within admin / customer services in office work is very broad. Which means it can be very difficult to fit the employer mould. Especially for me, I only have about 4 months office experience, working for a well-known exam board. Mainly answering inbound calls, making the odd outbound call to customers, but mainly communicating internally with other departments.

I hope to find another similar role very soon, but its hard getting over that dismissal, or rather, getting them to overlook it, because if I tell them I didn't meet targets or they are not satisfied with my reasoning, they may deduce it isn't the line of work for me.

Don't tell them the negatives, try to find a positive spin for your reasons to leave.
Should have asked to resign before they officially fired you.

Don't apply for a similar job immediately after a dismissal, it makes no sense and in very unlikely to happen. You have to be honest that you were dismissed, but you can have a different view from the employer as to why that happened

You said this (and a load of other stuff you need to just drop

I got dismissed basically because I wasn't meeting targets, my personal life was chaotic, and I had a lot of mental health issues (which the company knew about), and they extended my probation

So your personal life being chaotic and mental health issues need to br dropped - no employer is going to take that on. So you are left with 'I wasn't meeting targets'. You need to work out why you weren't meeting targets and find some phrasing that suggests the issue won't be carried forward into the new role (which is why the new role has to be at least somewhat different). Were you using software you struggled to adapt to? Were you primarily working on phones and found that a difficult medium to work through? Were your Typing/Excel skills not fast enough? Anything that is performance related, but isn't a thing needed by the next job, so won't worry them that you can't do.

However, some companies will still have a blanket no to applicants with a recent, or even any dismissal on their CV.
So I should lie effectively? I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel outright lying. I'm quite an honest person, with a big conscience so I think it would be hard for me to hide the embarrassment that I've just lied.

I understand to some degree, you wanting to withhold information, I've done this before in other contexts, perhaps its about framing the reasons I got dismissed, in a different way?

The thing is, it seems to be those that are incredibly successful that tend to lie the most, get away with it as well, because they are ruthless.

I'm not ruthless, I'm honest, down to earth, and not as thick skinned. Maybe that is the downfall.

Don't tell them the negatives, try to find a positive spin for your reasons to leave.

Lol diddy you got sacked? And yeah just spin it.

Please don't call it ruthless. I'm not doing it for fun. I need a living. Maybe you can afford to put your foot in your mouth and assume that interviewers and managers (who are actually the ruthless ones sending people to unemployment and homelessness) will be sympathetic to you if you tell them your worst bits...IF they ask why did you leave your job/why do you want to join us... Then you need to give yourself amnesia for those moments and say stuff like the commute was bad, I want to progress in my career...dont tell them your life details! You don't owe them that, they're not a therapist! unless you worked in the same exact company and are applying for a different branch or reapplying to the same branch, or if you worked at a small independent business, the employer will NOT ask your previous employer what happened to you. Especially if you're applying during a needy period or in a big company where they simply haven't got the time and your background check was good.
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Love it 😂 RAF Recruiter swooping in.
Hello Adam,

Your response was much appreciated.

I'd love to do something different, especially in the armed forces, where I could use my transferable skills. However, the military in general is off limits for me.

I'm physically restricted, due to disability.

About ten years ago as a teenager I was told by Army recruitment I'd be unable to pass their medical requirements, but thank you all the same.

What disability is it. If you say what it is, it'll make it easier to help you with advice because of your particular situation.
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

:toofunny: smooth bro

Original post by CTLeafez
Love it 😂 RAF Recruiter swooping in.

Yes omds
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol diddy you got sacked? And yeah just spin it.

I did indeed, from my last job. I refused to put my name against a 50% service charge uplift on new build flats because they deliberately sold them with an artificially low service charge to sell the flats. Too unethical for me, so they sacked me for refusing to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending