Smoky saif
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so I am ok at maths. I am in top set currently in year 11 and I would say I am towards the bottom end of middle ability. Right now I am a high grade 5 right now and for GCSE I am aiming for grade 8. But lets say I was to get a grade 7 at GCSE for maths. would i struggle at A level and how bad it will it be?

Like if i continue to work hard at A level for maths how hard will it be for me to get an A at A level for maths.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is quite standard for schools to require a 7 in GCSE maths to sit A-level maths. (some allow a 6) So of course, people with a 7 do well.

However, A-level maths starts off with a review of GCSE grade 7-9 topics. (particularly algebra and coordinate geometry) This isn't done particularly quickly and does take up a fair proportion of the first year. But if you struggled with those topics at GCSE, you may find yourself in a similar position at A-level without some extra work. If you find these topics prohibitively difficult, then it might be worth reconsidering taking it at A-level, as it will get harder.

How hard all this will be ultimately comes down to how able you are and how much you work. (unfortunately, the former becomes increasingly more important as you go through education)
Accounting123!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did well in my GCSE maths and sat it a year early obtaining an A. Wehn it came to A levels I did well at AS but failed A2 leaving me with a U overall, whereas I know people who did worse at GCSE but far better than me at A level. It's more about your work ethic then what you got at GCSE.

Honestly it is very hard but I feel like if you're willing to put the work in then go for it, and you probably will struggle.

It is incredibly hard to get an A at A level in any subject let alone Maths
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm not naturally quick w maths but am currently in year 13 still doing it- i'm surviving!! it's definitely a difficult a level and you have to put a lot of work in if it doesn't come naturally to you- you might have to put a bit of extra work in at gcse to push your grade up but work ethic is generally really important for a-levels especially.
legallystressed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey i'm a current year 13 doing maths, i'm predicted an A and got a 7 for gcse and was in set 2 (so you're already doing better than me lol), i would say if maths isn't necessarily a naturally easy subject for you you will only find the a level enjoyable if you are genuinely interested in maths (i don't mean wanting to pursue it any further, i'm applying for law at uni for example, but just having an interest in the type of thinking that maths uses really), from what i've seen of my friends who are struggling/not enjoying it it's because they aren't interested in it (e.g. a lot of people only take it because their degree courses specify they need it) and therefore less willing to put the work in, but overall i would say it's an incredibly rewarding subject as long as you really are interested in it
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you consolidate on your gcse knowledge you’ll be fine at the start of yr 12. You won’t struggle for the rest of yr 12 and 13; if you work hard and smartly, you’ll be fine so it won’t be hard for you if you have a good work ethic like entertainmyfaith said. Good luck for GCSEs btw
neon1041
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should be fine as long as you get an A at gcse. I got an A* at A level maths 2019 exam season so if you have any further questions feel free to ask me.
Smoky saif
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by neon1041)
You should be fine as long as you get an A at gcse. I got an A* at A level maths 2019 exam season so if you have any further questions feel free to ask me.
yeah just got one question.

so right now as i said i am at a high grade 5 level. I have like 5 months or so to get that to a 7 or above. What is the best way to go about revising in order to boost my grade up?
neon1041
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Smoky saif)
yeah just got one question.

so right now as i said i am at a high grade 5 level. I have like 5 months or so to get that to a 7 or above. What is the best way to go about revising in order to boost my grade up?
Mainly practice. Do all the past papers including the old spec and use different exam board papers as-well. Use exam solutions and achieve maths to learn the content quickly. Make sure you take a look at the specification as-well to make sure you know everything you need to know for the exam.
localmemelord
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Smoky saif)
so I am ok at maths. I am in top set currently in year 11 and I would say I am towards the bottom end of middle ability. Right now I am a high grade 5 right now and for GCSE I am aiming for grade 8. But lets say I was to get a grade 7 at GCSE for maths. would i struggle at A level and how bad it will it be?

Like if i continue to work hard at A level for maths how hard will it be for me to get an A at A level for maths.
make sure to get at least a 7 and before sitting GCSEs, make sure to have a really strong foundation on algebra, graphs, trigonometry and all the basics such as probability.
Skeleton_Clique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
@entertainmyfaith
If you don't mind me asking, do you like twenty øne piløts? It's just the username
😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.11%
1 (69)
13.72%
2 (65)
12.92%
20.48%
20.28%
5 (88)
17.5%

Watched Threads