kevm82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm a 37 year old male looking into the possibility of joining the RAF as a supplier at the grand old age of 37.

Have been looking for something different for ages now and keep coming back to look at the RAF job roles. Have chosen the 'Supplier' role due to a few previous jobs in this sort of environment where i gained a NVQ level 2 in warehousing & distribution which i think is the qualification on offer for this role? I would like to think i have quite a bit of experience for this role from working on the warehouse floor to working in a boiler spares supplier doing everything from packing orders to office duties etc. I have also had many years of labouring so not afraid of grafting.

Does anyone have any advice for anyone thinking about this supplier role? Also i am just considering whether at 37 its a bit too old to give it a try?! Any advice would be great, i am just at that stage where its a 'shall i? or shall i not?!'

I have also been having a little look at the Supply chain roles in the Royal Navy (sorry!) so if i am to take this forward i need to decide on what route to take.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kevm82)
Hi everyone, I'm a 37 year old male looking into the possibility of joining the RAF as a supplier at the grand old age of 37.

Have been looking for something different for ages now and keep coming back to look at the RAF job roles. Have chosen the 'Supplier' role due to a few previous jobs in this sort of environment where i gained a NVQ level 2 in warehousing & distribution which i think is the qualification on offer for this role? I would like to think i have quite a bit of experience for this role from working on the warehouse floor to working in a boiler spares supplier doing everything from packing orders to office duties etc. I have also had many years of labouring so not afraid of grafting.

Does anyone have any advice for anyone thinking about this supplier role? Also i am just considering whether at 37 its a bit too old to give it a try?! Any advice would be great, i am just at that stage where its a 'shall i? or shall i not?!'

I have also been having a little look at the Supply chain roles in the Royal Navy (sorry!) so if i am to take this forward i need to decide on what route to take.

Absolutely never too old, and if it's something you're always going to think about, give it a go.

The only thing I'd say to have a think about first, is that the vast majority of your immediate peers through phase 1 and 2 training will be kids half your age.

If you can cope with that - because it could be isolating at times - then go for it.
kevm82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Absolutely never too old, and if it's something you're always going to think about, give it a go.

The only thing I'd say to have a think about first, is that the vast majority of your immediate peers through phase 1 and 2 training will be kids half your age.

If you can cope with that - because it could be isolating at times - then go for it.
Thanks for a quick reply!

Yes sort of realized pretty quick that most others could be nearly 20 years younger than me which is something to think about. I suppose it can have advantages & disadvantages. Also further down the line a boss/officer could be half my age, but that could happen in any job.

Thanks.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi

As has already been advised, you're certainly not too old. Many people apply for roles in the RAF and the other armed forces at different ages. The upper age limit is now 47, so you may not even be the oldest on your entry.

You can also look at it that some of the younger entrants may look up to you for guidance as you'll have more life experience than they have, especially during phase one training, for example.

Have you watched the video on the role page for a better insight into the role? Also the Live Q&A video on the RAF Recruitment FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/RAFRecruitm...2517700950271/

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
kevm82
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

As has already been advised, you're certainly not too old. Many people apply for roles in the RAF and the other armed forces at different ages. The upper age limit is now 47, so you may not even be the oldest on your entry.

You can also look at it that some of the younger entrants may look up to you for guidance as you'll have more life experience than they have, especially during phase one training, for example.

Have you watched the video on the role page for a better insight into the role? Also the Live Q&A video on the RAF Recruitment FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/RAFRecruitm...2517700950271/

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info. Yes i have watched the vids on facebook so that was a good bit of info. Is there anywhere or anything that can give me more info on what sort of roles/jobs i may do, where i may be based etc? I will add that i'm single with no ties which might help me!

Thanks.
Claret147
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I have recently passed out of basic training at the age of 32 and am now 3 weeks into my Logistics Supplier phase 2 training. There’s a guy in my room who is 36.
Id say go for it if you want to do it, if you’ve got any questions feel free to ask me.
As long as your fairly sociable you’ll get on well with people even though you’ll likely be the oldest as I was. Still had a good laugh though.
The majority of people on my intake were aged 17-20 and they struggled with self discipline and keeping their mouths shut which led to often getting spoken to and told off like a child which got a bit annoying as the course went on.
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info. Yes i have watched the vids on facebook so that was a good bit of info. Is there anywhere or anything that can give me more info on what sort of roles/jobs i may do, where i may be based etc? I will add that i'm single with no ties which might help me!

Thanks.
Hi

Once you've completed your training you'll be based anywhere the RAF has a station, either in the UK or elsewhere in the world, although your first few posts will be in the UK. The roles within the trade are wide-ranging, from stores and supply on a small station to working on the fuel lines and refuelling aircraft on a large station etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
kevm82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claret147)
I have recently passed out of basic training at the age of 32 and am now 3 weeks into my Logistics Supplier phase 2 training. There’s a guy in my room who is 36.
Id say go for it if you want to do it, if you’ve got any questions feel free to ask me.
As long as your fairly sociable you’ll get on well with people even though you’ll likely be the oldest as I was. Still had a good laugh though.
The majority of people on my intake were aged 17-20 and they struggled with self discipline and keeping their mouths shut which led to often getting spoken to and told off like a child which got a bit annoying as the course went on.
Firstly congratulations on getting through mate.

Do you know what you will be doing after phase 2 training?

How did you find the fitness side of things during basic training?

Best and worst parts of basic training?

How long did it take you to get to your current stage? from 1st applying? This particular role is 'currently recruiting' on the website so guessing they need people.

Thanks in advance,
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly congratulations on getting through mate.

Do you know what you will be doing after phase 2 training?

How did you find the fitness side of things during basic training?

Best and worst parts of basic training?

How long did it take you to get to your current stage? from 1st applying? This particular role is 'currently recruiting' on the website so guessing they need people.

Thanks in advance,
Hi

Have you watched the phase one video diaries?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4FE915BF943C59

The entire application process can take between 3-9 months to complete, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the role you've applied for and when you've applied. You'll be advised of your own dates at each stage when your AFCO has them for you.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (39)
23.78%
My career doesn't need one (25)
15.24%
I'm sick of studying (32)
19.51%
I can't find a course I want to do (4)
2.44%
I don't know enough about them (13)
7.93%