The Student Room Group

How can I get better at maths?

Hey, I'm a Y12 student and it's my first year living & studying abroad. I'm doing Computer Science, Physics and Maths (single) for my A levels and I'd like to pursue a computer science degree at uni.

However, in the past couple of months, I haven't been getting that good grades from Maths (I usually get between 50 to 65% from every exam) and that's even when I'm trying really really hard.

Do you have any recommendations on how to revise? What websites/YouTube channels do you use for revision? Do you have any special techniques which might help better understand a certain topic?

The thing is - I like maths and I really need an A from it at the Y12/13 exams...

Cheers!
Reply 1
A few tips that I hope you find helpful:
1. Identify your weaknesses, e.g. is it trig, calculus, mechanics, stats, careless mistakes, or graphs?
2. Do extra practices on those weaknesses by doing past paper questions, or other useful websites like Dr. Frost Maths, or MadasMaths. Review your answers and see why you got them wrong.
3. Make sure you understand the concept or principle behind certain topics, like differentiation using first principles. You don't need to necessarily know the proof but just get a basic understanding of what it is. (In this case of differentiation, you do need to know the proof.)
4. Avoid careless mistakes at all cost, but this will develop as you practise.
5. Read the question!! And if there are words like hence in the question, then it's likely that you need to use your previous answers for this question.

Quick Reply

Latest