Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I’m currently applying for uni but due to my mental health I’m really undecided as to whether I should go to my dream uni or a local one.

The uni that I really want to go to is miles away from home, in the middle of nowhere - although the campus, facilities and course is perfect. It would take 4 hours using public transport to get home.

On the other hand, there is a local uni which is a 40 minute drive away with good facilities. But it is a different course - it would still get me into the career I want to do.

Looking at it like that it seems obvious, go to the dream uni. But when you put bad mental health (depression, anxiety, an eating disorder and having issues with suicidal thoughts) into the mix, it has made the decision very hard.

The last thing I want is to be stuck, miles away from home when my mental health has hit rock bottom.

Can I have people’s advice please?

TIA
LittleRedBucket
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m currently applying for uni but due to my mental health I’m really undecided as to whether I should go to my dream uni or a local one.

The uni that I really want to go to is miles away from home, in the middle of nowhere - although the campus, facilities and course is perfect. It would take 4 hours using public transport to get home.

On the other hand, there is a local uni which is a 40 minute drive away with good facilities. But it is a different course - it would still get me into the career I want to do.

Looking at it like that it seems obvious, go to the dream uni. But when you put bad mental health (depression, anxiety, an eating disorder and having issues with suicidal thoughts) into the mix, it has made the decision very hard.

The last thing I want is to be stuck, miles away from home when my mental health has hit rock bottom.

TIA
I’m not sure whether this will be much help but you never know
First thing I would do is list the advantages and disadvantages of each university and how it will effect your life short term and long term.
Compare them and see which seems adequate to your situation.
Also do research to see if there are some sport clubs near your dream university, which up you could attend on a weekly basis, finding a routine and hobby will improve your mental health (bonus if a team sport, as it improves teamwork skills and is easier to develop friendships, which help with mental health).
If you do go to your dream uni then make sure to keep your parents/family/friends updated on your mental health regularly, and tell them straight away if you’re feeling down. They will then be able to help you before you hit rock bottom.
Also see if there’s a mental health group near the uni, where you can support each other, avoiding getting too low. Consider telling your room mate (if you have one) about your mental health issues so they can help you out if you feel like your spiralling downwards.
I hope this helped
Good luck
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Is your dream university among the top university? What will you major in?
What's your mental health problem? Is it very severe?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

TIA
Is your local uni still a good one?

If it is, I would personally advise you to stay closer to home and your support network there. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a parent not a student but if one of my children was in a bad place with their mental health I would feel safer if they were not too far away so they can easily get home if they needed some support. I have seen quite a few posts on TSR where people regret moving miles away from home if they become unhappy at uni at some point
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
if you go to your local uni, realistically, is your mental health going to be an improvement or will you feel depressed that you gave up on your dream uni without even trying?

you're still in the application stage, correct? you haven't actually been accepted anywhere so you're' putting the cart before the horse. it doesn't hurt to send in your application to both unis and marinate on it a little bit. unless you think giving yourself too many options is a bad idea(?).
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

TIA
In addition to what others have said, what the mental health/student support facilities like at each university? That might give you an idea of whether your dream uni would be able to provide enough support for you given your distance from home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (169)
14.68%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.39%

Watched Threads