The Student Room Group

I...don't like Oxford

I never really thought about going to Oxford until my teacher told me I should apply, which was about 2 months ago. I'd never visited it, and no one I know has gone there either.

I'm here for my interview, and everything just seems so formal. I think I would be happier at a uni that doesn't come with so much pressure. Only thing is, if I get an offer (unlikely, anyway) and reject it, everyone will think I'm an idiot.

I know it's an 'impressive' place to study, and employers will like it. My parents will be so disappointed in me if I reject it, but...I don't wanna spend 3 years of my life miserable just because Oxford has a good reputation.

What should I do? :-(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think of the reward at the end when you have a degree from one of the best in the world.
Don’t go. It’s you who’s going there not your teachers not your parents not anyone else but you. If you don’t like it, you will less likely motivate yourself in that environment and less likely to do work. Go somewhere where you can enjoy your uni life and feel less pressured to the reputation because it’s your choice which you are going to
don't go to Oxford, don't feel pressured. There are so many other universities with great reputations and you'll find the right one. Oxbridge is not the be all and end all, and you need to do what's right for you. At the end of the day, you're the one going to uni, not your parents. Warwick, Durham, UCL etc are not Oxbridge but have great reputations and a more relaxed environment some would say. It will still look great on your CV and you'll be happier there. It's 3 years minimum of your life, and the best years too. Your parents should still be proud of you regardless of where you go. I was pressured into applying to Cambridge but decided last minute I didn't want to, my family were shocked but now I feel so much more relaxed.
I would say wait until you have your interviews because you might really enjoy the teaching style and that's what counts! It's ultimately up to you what you want to do if you get an offer in January but as you've just arrived I'd avoid judging the university right away.
Original post by rcollz
I never really thought about going to Oxford until my teacher told me I should apply, which was about 2 months ago. I'd never visited it, and no one I know has gone there either.

I'm here for my interview, and everything just seems so formal. I think I would be happier at a uni that doesn't come with so much pressure. Only thing is, if I get an offer (unlikely, anyway) and reject it, everyone will think I'm an idiot.

I know it's an 'impressive' place to study, and employers will like it. My parents will be so disappointed in me if I reject it, but...I don't wanna spend 3 years of my life miserable just because Oxford has a good reputation.

Beginning to feel a similar thing with Cambridge (interview this Thursday) you still have plenty of time and the city and uni might grow on you. If you have set your mind that you don’t like it then there is now point wasting money on it - uni is after all an investment - and your parents/teachers should understand what is best for you
I think you've answered your own question there. At the end of the day, it's your decision, not your parents. If you don't want to go to Oxford, then don't. Plenty of successful people didn't go to Oxford or Cambridge and there are people who went to one of those and are not successful by any means. A degree is only what you make out of it. So if you're not going to get out that much from going to Oxford, there's no point as there'll probably be somewhere that'll benefit you far more as you will be able to get more out of it. Oxford's not for everyone, there's no shame in that. It's a pretty unusual part of the world, there's going to be people who aren't going to feel uncomfortable with it and that's fine. Just make the most out of what you have and what is available to you and remember that Oxford is not everything.
Original post by OhXun
Think of the reward at the end when you have a degree from one of the best in the world.

I'm sorry but this is a load of bs for more reasons than I care to post about. OP, do what makes you happy, not society, not your parents, not some GCSE kid on TSR who doesn't understand how life works.
Reply 8
University is supposed to be an amazing experience in it self but it won’t be if you choose to go somewhere that doesn’t feel like home, which it is going to be for the next 3years of your life.
So choose what YOU want to and what feels right for YOU, and don’t listen to anybody else :smile:
Honestly, if you've got a gut feeling that its not right, don't feel as if you have to go. I agree with what the other people on this thread have said, there are plenty of fantastic universities across the country which will provide a similar level of academic rigour to Oxford, but with a slightly less traditional style.
But congratulations on getting an interview, that is mega impressive in itself! :smile:
What are your career goals?
Original post by rcollz

PLEASE don't feel to have to accept an offer just because it's from Oxford. You know whether you feel 'comfortable' - I know quite a few students who have rejected offers.

You'll only be an idiot if you don't follow YOUR heart. Oxford is not the best place for everyone nor is it the best place for every degree.
OK there's so many posts that I want to address a few things:

1) rankings of universities rarely matter outside of the context of a few professions (don't quote me on this but law and IB?)
2) even if the above was true, being an Oxford interview candidate implies both ability and likelihood of attending other highly ranked universities
3) mental health and well-being are far more important than ranking - related to this, oxbridge sucks for mental health and being somewhere you don't like (which will probs get worse over time there) is detrimental to this
4) its 3 years of your life, do it somewhere you enjoy not feel forced to attend

ok I'm sure there is more but this part of TSR pisses me off, luckily the rest of you kind and supportive sods make up for it
Reply 13
Original post by TCA2b
What are your career goals?

No idea ha.. I just want a good enough job to survive off of really. Btw I applied for English Language and Literature if that makes any difference.

It just makes me feel guilty cos someone who really wanted it could have had my place.

p.s. Thank u everyone for the replies, I feel a bit more reassured now <3
Original post by rcollz
No idea ha.. I just want a good enough job to survive off of really. Btw I applied for English Language and Literature if that makes any difference.

It just makes me feel guilty cos someone who really wanted it could have had my place.

p.s. Thank u everyone for the replies, I feel a bit more reassured now <3

You should Firm the uni that excites you the most, and not worry too much about pleasing other people. I'm sure you'll still end up at a great uni and happiness comes first. You have nothing to feel guilty about either - Oxford will fill all their spaces don't you worry about that :smile:

Original post by rcollz

Fail the interview
Original post by rcollz
I'm here for my interview, and everything just seems so formal. I think I would be happier at a uni that doesn't come with so much pressure.

Could you give more detail? Are you comfortable saying which subject and / or college?

There is a formal side to Oxford, but it's a lot less than many think, from my experience (30 years ago ..).

Original post by rcollz

There is no point if you'd be miserable - you won't perform at your best. Your parents won't want you to be miserable.
Original post by rcollz

Don't worry - places will get filled.
Original post by the_queen

Fail the interview

That's really bad advice. Leave your options open.
If you don’t like oxford then why would you go? Go somewhere you feel like is right for you. At the end of the day this is your life and you shouldn’t feel pressure to go to oxford just because it’s what other people want you to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending