Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I met this vegan lady earlier. Her aim is to go round schools and persuade everyone to become raw vegans, basically eat raw vegetables.
    She has some restraining orders and has been arrested several times, but anyway I decided to hear her out and didn't really understand much of her argument.

sensible things I understood
    Reasons for EVERYONE becoming a raw vegan:
    - better for the environment
    - Raw fruit and vege is healthier
    - Cooked vegetables contains a chemical that can cause cancer (according to Swedish scientists, 2002, someone may wish to check the validity of this research)

Non-sensical things I got out of it
    - gorrillas don't use pans, therefore we shouldn't
    - Lions don't farm animals, therefore it is wrong for us to eat meat because we farm it.
    - Slaughterhouses are disgusting places (well durr..)
    - It's all a conspiracy, nothing gets recycled!

First few counter-arguments
    - We aren't gorrillas
    - Meat is eaten in nature, why are we so special that we have to be herbivores.
    - God gave us free will and a choice!!! If I want to eat meat/eggs/milk and if I want to cook my vegetables, it is my choice!!!!
    - Loads of things cause cancer, rocks and buildings cause cancer (C-14)
    - What is the point of having a perfect world if we live in the stone age. We should strive for as world in which we can make use of all the wonderful inventions, but still live in harmony with the environment.
    - It is not in the governments interest to landfill everything!

Anyway, are there any vegans out there?If so, what are your reasons for being a vegan? Do you think we should all be vegans, or is it a personal choice? Are there any raw-vegans out there? (same questions as above)

It has genuinely interested me, and if I can find someone on the side of this women who has a good argument I would be delighted to have a coherent debate.

APologies if this post is long and waffely, I am curently quite sleep-deprived.

So, Bring on the debate!

ReputationRep:
    A more worthy cause is tree-hugging. I don't understand why these lunatics waste their time on the vegan crap these days given that there are so many other things they could devote themselves to.

The standard of today's hippies is shamefully low.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Vegan myself, but I heard awhile back on the radio that naturally our teeth aren't made for eating meat and we're supposed to be herbivores apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i hate this, really do, we are built as omnivores... so we just let the cows run free and polute the earth with methane?

Eat a cow today, save the world tomro.

ReputationRep:
    Surely its down to personal choice?, I"m a meat eater but I do not impose my views on others unlike the lady mentioned in the OPs post. I"d like to see her around here, I live on a chavvy estate ( but I"m not a chav myself) she"d be likely to get told to F off.

ReputationRep:
    No.

As I would have no money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    I'm not a Vegan myself, but I heard awhile back on the radio that naturally our teeth aren't made for eating meat and we're supposed to be herbivores apparently.
    I call ******** on that. Just feel the difference between your front and back teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    But humans have canine teeth like dogs which I always thought were for ripping and tearing meat.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    For ethical reasons; then yes. But, it's completely a personal choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccajh)
    Reasons for EVERYONE becoming a raw vegan:
    - better for the environment
    - Raw fruit and vege is healthier
    - Cooked vegetables contains a chemical that can cause cancer (according to Swedish scientists, 2002, someone may wish to check the validity of this research)
    1) Its really not better for the environment in all cases. The geography of an area may be very ill suited to cultivation capabel of only growing wild grasses and pasture. If people all ate produced or grain, it would require heavy modification, primarily through machinery and industrial fertilizers that are harmful to the environment. Pastoralism would actually be well sustained in the area, and animal products like dairy would be the most efficient way of making something nutritive of grass growing on limestone rock.

2) Raw vegetables and fruit are not necessarily healthier. Our digestive systems have lost a great deal of their parasitic immunity, and we would be more exposed to pathogens. Further, even our digestive capabilities are far reduced from our primate cousins and we alck the efficiency to survive on raw fruit and veg exclusively.

Non-sensical things I got out of it
    - gorrillas don't use pans, therefore we shouldn't
    Gorrillas don't talk either. She should follow that.
    - Lions don't farm animals, therefore it is wrong for us to eat meat because we farm it.
    Lions brutally hunt down the weak and young in a herd, and then kill thems by crushing the neck with their fangs and jaws, or often begin tearing it up while it is still alive.
    - Slaughterhouses are disgusting places (well durr..)
    So are farms. Even smelled fertilizer?

ReputationRep:
    No we shouldn't all be vegan. A vegan diet is very dangerous for young children, recently a child of vegan parents was taken into care with mal-nourishment after been feed on a solely vegan diet since birth.

ReputationRep:
    Vegtarianism (and veganism) is a hell of a lot more efficient than meat-eating. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ..._vegetarianism) because of all the energy and land wasted on rearing animals. There'd be lots more food to go around if we all ate tofu. And a lot more random violence, cos that stuff tastes terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modulus)
    I call ******** on that. Just feel the difference between your front and back teeth.
    our teeth are more like a chimps then a cats

chimps eat nuts, etc

our teeth can't rip through animals, like carnivores can

i have proper notes on this from evolution, but i am not digging out my exam notes in july

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    1) Its really not better for the environment in all cases. The geography of an area may be very ill suited to cultivation capabel of only growing wild grasses and pasture. If people all ate produced or grain, it would require heavy modification, primarily through machinery and industrial fertilizers that are harmful to the environment. Pastoralism would actually be well sustained in the area, and animal products like dairy would be the most efficient way of making something nutritive of grass growing on limestone rock.

2) Raw vegetables and fruit are not necessarily healthier. Our digestive systems have lost a great deal of their parasitic immunity, and we would be more exposed to pathogens. Further, even our digestive capabilities are far reduced from our primate cousins and we alck the efficiency to survive on raw fruit and veg exclusively.
    Those are good points, thank-you .
    I hope you know I don't actually agree with her.
    You have made much more convincing arguments than I could think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)

Gorrillas don't talk either. She should follow that.

Lions brutally hunt down the weak and young in a herd, and then kill thems by crushing the neck with their fangs and jaws, or often begin tearing it up while it is still alive.

So are farms. Even smelled fertilizer?
    ^^
    I rest his case

Meat is nutritious.

Humans are smarter and much more superior

ReputationRep:
    im veggie thats good enough for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    Vegtarianism (and veganism) is a hell of a lot more efficient than meat-eating. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ..._vegetarianism) because of all the energy and land wasted on rearing animals. There'd be lots more food to go around if we all ate tofu. And a lot more random violence, cos that stuff tastes terrible.
    i love tofu :^_^:

but you have to remember, things like soy beans are being planted where forests used to be, ergo global warming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    im veggie thats good enough for me
    What's the difference? I actually don't know lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    i love tofu :^_^:

but you have to remember, things like soy beans are being planted where forests used to be, ergo global warming
    Yes, but so are cattle...crops. Or fields. Meadows? Pastures?

The big thing is that eating plants straight from the ground rather than passing them through another animal uses a lot less space. Ergo less global warming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasser Hayatli)
    What's the difference? I actually don't know lol
    Vegetarians don't eat meat, and depending on the reasons for being one, some eat fish, some don't
    Vegans only eat vegetables, they don't eat eggs/milk etc
    Raw Vegans only eat raw vegetables

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.