The Student Room Group

Will I get 0 marks for this?

Hello.

I submitted an assignment for Politics (Strathclyde) 5 weeks ago which still has not been marked. I checked today and still no feedback. I then saw that for some reason, it did not accept my Pages document. I clicked the "Edit Assignment" button to re-upload it via a PDF.

No problems except that there is now a line saying "35 days late" which is really worrying me as they have a tough stance on late work and just award it 0.

If I get a 0 in this, then I honestly don't see how I can continue with uni full stop. I feel as if they've given us a really harsh introduction to uni life in the first semester, it's been really difficult to get to grips with how things work and there doesn't seem to be any room for error, even if I don't think that the course itself is too difficult.

I can't see why I should be penalised given that I had the work completed by the due date. What should I do? Will be downright pissed if they don't award it anything as I did actually complete it and put in the time to get it done which is now wasted.
Reply 1
You are likely going to get a 0, yes

It is your responsibility to check that a document has been accepted

It took you five weeks (?!) to notice your own error, and you 'can't see' why you ought to be penalised? Really?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
You are likely going to get a 0, yes

It is your responsibility to check that a document has been accepted

It took you five weeks (?!) to notice your own error, and you 'can't see' why you ought to be penalised? Really?

I didn't realise how to delete and upload a new document until someone had shown me.

FML - I want to quit now. They don't seem to have any time for error.
Reply 3
Your first port of call has to be to the module convenor. See what they say. But five weeks on, it is not looking good.
I'll reach out but if it's a definite 0, I'm considering dropping Politics. It's not really what I thought it would be and in hindsight, I don't think I was ready or mature enough for that type of course.

I have 2 other subjects - French & Spanish which are going much better. Only problem with doing them long-term is that I'm not enthused about a year abroad. I was planning to finish the full year with them and perhaps do them both in 2nd year but not beyond that.

Now a bit stuck in where I should go.
Original post by Joe2001
I didn't realise how to delete and upload a new document until someone had shown me.

FML - I want to quit now. They don't seem to have any time for error.

er.. welcome to being an adult and to uni?

tough titties isn't it
Original post by Joe2001

I can't see why I should be penalised given that I had the work completed by the due date. What should I do? Will be downright pissed if they don't award it anything as I did actually complete it and put in the time to get it done which is now wasted.

This, for me, is beyond entitled, even for TSR.

You didn't submit the work. You get zero. End of story.

You seriously are suggesting that 'you can't see why you should be penalised'

Jesus...
Original post by username3161682
Hello.

I submitted an assignment for Politics (Strathclyde) 5 weeks ago which still has not been marked. I checked today and still no feedback. I then saw that for some reason, it did not accept my Pages document. I clicked the "Edit Assignment" button to re-upload it via a PDF.

No problems except that there is now a line saying "35 days late" which is really worrying me as they have a tough stance on late work and just award it 0.

If I get a 0 in this, then I honestly don't see how I can continue with uni full stop. I feel as if they've given us a really harsh introduction to uni life in the first semester, it's been really difficult to get to grips with how things work and there doesn't seem to be any room for error, even if I don't think that the course itself is too difficult.

if they do give you a 0 just go tell them why you think that it's not right that you'r given a 0 and just explain to them what happened
and dont give up on your dreams becaause of one hill keep going until you succsed
Reply 8
Original post by Afganistan
if they do give you a 0 just go tell them why you think that it's not right that you'r given a 0 and just explain to them what happened

'Hiya, I didn't submit the work, but I did do it, promise'

Yeah, not likely to work
Original post by username3161682

So a painful but extremely useful life lesson, always make sure your file saves / uploads / gets backed up / the turnitit in receipt arrives etc. Honestly, its worth the zero mark if you never make that mistake again.

On a more practical note, I would be astonished if your course guide book did not spell out in great detail your personal responsibilities re submitting work on time.

Finally, there also looks to be an institutional fail here. A student missing an assessed work deadline should auto trigger an email from a personal tutor or course director asking what went wrong and flagging up penalties if you don't have mitigating circumstances.
Reply 10
As an aside, I was today browsing our turnitin submissions for the last round of assessments. One was submitted 20 days late. Not even read by markers, just a zero.
Original post by gjd800
As an aside, I was today browsing our turnitin submissions for the last round of assessments. One was submitted 20 days late. Not even read by markers, just a zero.

What, someone just submitted something 20 days late without even an explanation - just like a 'oh, I got round to it finally'? Wow.
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
What, someone just submitted something 20 days late without even an explanation - just like a 'oh, I got round to it finally'? Wow.

Nothing sent to me or the convenor. We won't know about Student Support just yet but seems unlikely

This is increasingly what we are working against. There were around ten non-submissions, only three of whom have dropped out!
Original post by gjd800
Nothing sent to me or the convenor. We won't know about Student Support just yet but seems unlikely

This is increasingly what we are working against. There were around ten non-submissions, only three of whom have dropped out!

Amazing. Almost as if deadlines and requirements are entirely optional for some candidates. You have to ask where that sort of mindset comes from. I wonder whether they'd behave like that towards their boss at work if he'd asked them to produce a piece of work by a certain time.
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
Amazing. Almost as if deadlines and requirements are entirely optional for some candidates. You have to ask where that sort of mindset comes from. I wonder whether they'd behave like that towards their boss at work if he'd asked them to produce a piece of work by a certain time.

It is bonkers.

One time I got an email at five past midnight (12 deadline) from a lad that had a problem uploading a filetype and was terrified he'd get a 0. I was in the pub! Anyway, I forwarded it on to the powers that be and we fixed it the next morning, no probs

If you are on top of this stuff there is always a fix!
Original post by gjd800
It is bonkers.

One time I got an email at five past midnight (12 deadline) from a lad that had a problem uploading a filetype and was terrified he'd get a 0. I was in the pub! Anyway, I forwarded it on to the powers that be and we fixed it the next morning, no probs

If you are on top of this stuff there is always a fix!

Exactly. But you’ve got to communicate, and this is what these students don’t seem to realise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending