apspirei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm submitting my UCAS form tomorrow but im stuck on one decision. Psychology BSc at Bristol or Psychology and Neuroscience MSci at Bristol? I have always wanted to study psychology, but since starting sixth form learning about the biology behind psychiatric disorders is what i'm interested in most. However, I am purely interested in the neuroscience of behaviour. I am not that interested in the rest of neuroscience like degenerative disorders, molecular lab work. I hate lab work and practicals, but i love learning theory work. I also don't really like chemistry or maths, and these are putting me off neuroscience. I am not that interested in cognitive or social psychology though because I love empirical evidence and proof (I am doing all science A levels) and can find psychology too wiffy waffy at times. However, the lab work and difficulty of neuroscience is putting me off. Also i'm aware I can choose more science heavy modules in Psychology and do a neuroscience masters later if I really wanted to. What should I do? I know I will never make my mind up as this has been on my mind for months now and I need to send my application off soon.

Thank you!
Last edited by apspirei; 1 year ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by apspirei)
I'm submitting my UCAS form tomorrow but im stuck on one decision. Psychology BSc at Bristol or Psychology and Neuroscience MSci at Bristol? I have always wanted to study psychology, but since starting sixth form learning about the biology behind psychiatric disorders is what i'm interested in most. However, I am purely interested in the neuroscience of behaviour. I am not that interested in the rest of neuroscience like degenerative disorders, molecular lab work. I hate lab work and practicals, but i love learning theory work. I also don't really like chemistry or maths, and these are putting me off neuroscience. I am not that interested in cognitive or social psychology though because I love empirical evidence and proof (I am doing all science A levels) and can find psychology too wiffy waffy at times. However, the lab work and difficulty of neuroscience is putting me off. Also i'm aware I can choose more science heavy modules in Psychology and do a neuroscience masters later if I really wanted to. What should I do? I know I will never make my mind up as this has been on my mind for months now and I need to send my application off soon.

Thank you!
Ring up Bristol and explain that you’re having trouble deciding which to apply to. Ask if there’s any options to swap between the courses after applying or when you start studying there.

If there’s no flexibility then at least you can apply with your eyes open.

From what you’ve written it sounds like you’re edging towards psychology
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you're underestimating the level of neuroscience and 'evidence' in a psych undergrad degree. Apart from one social psych module the rest of my modules at UCL were all brain based
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by apspirei)

Thank you!
If you are leaning towards psychology, I'd go for that. If you want to go into a career in psychology, a BPS accredited psychology degree will be necessary. Also, you could then look at neuroscience as a postgraduate qualification.

As well, psychology is a scientific subject, so even in social and cognitive psychology, a lot of emphasis is on empirical research.

Hope this helps a little!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (87)
39.01%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.73%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (53)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.17%

Watched Threads