The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yehyeh I did Mathematics, I really LOVED it at GCSE so I just want to go over the main areas and then move onto the harder AS-level stuff!
Reply 21
Will.Storm
Thanks redders, are you going to uni now? Another point highlighted here is that statistics actually show that people do better in Further maths than maths because simply everyone taking the subject are very likely to love maths. 2nd year further is very 'pure' which I struggled with despite hiting high marks in the 1st year.

Why is it that you haven't done maths at GCSE?! I'm sure it is compulsary. Nevertheless, you sound like you will have a lot of work to do, good luck mate:p:

Hopefully going to Edinburgh in september of this year. I was exactly the same with A2 Further was a horrible January set of results is all wanna say.:wink:
Amit92
Hey guys,

I want to go into the Business & Finance area as a career and these are the AS-Levels I have picked...

Economics
Geography
Maths
Politics

What do you guys think?

The specification has changed for them for subjects so I have ordered new 2008 specification revision guides from my local library to learn about them alittle bit more and have a head-start in college

Also I am reading books on Tycoons I admire on there Biographies like Duncan Bannatyne, Theo Paphitis and Sir Alan Sugar!

I think I will also enjoy these Subjects especially Mathematics, The other 3 are completely new for me which looked interesting to me.

Thanks

Amit

I think you should change A level politics for A level Busniess studies
Reply 23
Peter121PRO
I think you should change A level politics for A level Busniess studies

Hell no - don't do this.
Ramadulla
By fine your talking from your own perspective, not the OP's. You're predicted CDE, and, deducing from what the OP has said, I'm sure that they have more ambition than that. Not sounding rude or anything, don't take it the wrong way by the way.

Some people can cope, but it isn't a sufficient stepping stone going to A-level without previous (basic) study of the concepts.

~Ramadulla

Just because im predicted low grades doesnt mean ill get them. and how do you know i dont have more ambition than that of course i want to do better than CDE. your assuming things from the two sentances i wrote.
beckaboos.
Just because im predicted low grades doesnt mean ill get them. and how do you know i dont have more ambition than that of course i want to do better than CDE. your assuming things from the two sentances i wrote.

As I said before, I do not want to sound rude or anything. I'm sure you have more ambition and I'm sure you will get higher grades. But it's better to keep safe and do a subject that you've previously encountered than a new one.

I'm just talking logically here; but, again, it is up to the OP if they want to sacrifice some extra time in the course going over the basics - learning them firmly and then going over the more advanced topics - and, again, learning them firmly.

Again, sorry If i come out as being rude, didn't mean it :no:.

Good luck beckaboos and OP!
Reply 26
Ramadulla
As I said before, I do not want to sound rude or anything. I'm sure you have more ambition and I'm sure you will get higher grades. But it's better to keep safe and do a subject that you've previously encountered than a new one.

I'm just talking logically here; but, again, it is up to the OP if they want to sacrifice some extra time in the course going over the basics - learning them firmly and then going over the more advanced topics - and, again, learning them firmly.

What? I'm doing Economics + Politics as 2 different A-Levels, they are both exceptionally rare at GCSE, but according to you, people shouldn't do them because of that? :no:

I see your point for taking geography if you haven't done it at GCSE, but even then, it doesn't even matter significantly. As for the others, it doesn't matter at all.
Reply 27
Those options look fine!
Ramadulla

Dont worry. I've just had a bad day - it is better to stay safe and do what you have previously done!!

Latest