How do people afford life?

Watch
anonomyousst
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Seriously! I am taking my driving lessons whilst juggling college and work and somehow fitting it all in especially with the busiest period of the year fastly approaching. I can't work loads of hours but i work whatever i can no matter what i miss out on. At times like this i wish i was still a little girl fantasizing about when im older and how im going to have the nicest car with the nicest clothes and the bestest friends!

HOW DO PEOPLE AFFORD NICE CLOTHES AND NICE CARS? So not only do we have to pay monthly for the cars we have to pay for car insurance which let me tell you is so expensive, like how am i supposed to go to college and work part time but pay out hundreds of pounds on cars. Like how am i supposed to move out, buy clothes, buy food and still live my best life.

I already know my stress limits are going to sky rocket. God help me, what did i get myself into beating all that sperm to my mum.
Kt72
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Most people just pretend. They live outside their means and spiral further and further into crippling debt. Other people work hard for what they have, and some are just bloody lucky. That's life mate
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You aren't going to be buying an £100k car when you are still at college.
username3942526
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not everything on social media is a reality if you are talking about that kind of lifestyle
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you’re anything like me, then you live off your parents’ money 😌😌
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Most of these people are earning large salaries because they have followed a career path and progressed with experience (and been lucky!) Whereas you are a college student with a job probably on minimum wage. Give it time. Obviously you have to work hard though. You also have to accept there are some people who work very hard and still can’t afford to feed their children. Life’s not fair😕
Last edited by Joe Frazier; 10 months ago
FutureFinance
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by anonomyousst)
Seriously! I am taking my driving lessons whilst juggling college and work and somehow fitting it all in especially with the busiest period of the year fastly approaching. I can't work loads of hours but i work whatever i can no matter what i miss out on. At times like this i wish i was still a little girl fantasizing about when im older and how im going to have the nicest car with the nicest clothes and the bestest friends!

HOW DO PEOPLE AFFORD NICE CLOTHES AND NICE CARS? So not only do we have to pay monthly for the cars we have to pay for car insurance which let me tell you is so expensive, like how am i supposed to go to college and work part time but pay out hundreds of pounds on cars. Like how am i supposed to move out, buy clothes, buy food and still live my best life.

I already know my stress limits are going to sky rocket. God help me, what did i get myself into beating all that sperm to my mum.
Hey!

I know it can all seem super stressful when the cost of "life" in general adds up, so firstly let me start by saying you're not alone! Many many people feel the same as you but they may not be as open to admitting it.

The first step to taking control of your money for the better is budgeting! If you have a budget, you can see exactly what is coming in and coming out so that you won't face any nasty surprises, which can put a strain on your cash.

Secondly, the fact that you are working is a brilliant start. Juggling college, driving, and working is amazing and will put you in great stead for the rest of your life! However, at the moment, I understand you're feeling the effects of compromise (if you want to keep driving you likely won't be able to afford new clothes) But just remember that this doesn't last forever! When you have your qualifications at the end of your course and you can get a better-paid full-time job you'll feel the benefit of the hard work you're putting in now - trust me!

xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wage does progress. I felt the same when I was earning 7k in an apprenticeship trying to afford lessons, food and clothes but as you get older you start to haemorrhage money a lot less and you're left with much more disposable income so you're able to afford a nice car, nice clothes and holidays. Some do get into crippling debt though,
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OR321)
If you’re anything like me, then you live off your parents’ money 😌😌
Quite the gentleman aren’t you? 😂
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You’re finding it the most difficult now because of the jump from being a secondary student with almost nothing to do, to now a college kid with more responsibilities.

You’re doing well for yourself, you’ll appreciate it later on.
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Dunya)
Quite the gentleman aren’t you? 😂
Honesty is the best policy 😂
username4952620
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
They have a good job or they have people in their lives to give it to them for simply existing. I am jealous of both won’t lie
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don't i just pretend to be happy and content but i worry everyday.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise