Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, could somebody please explain to me the typical ranking order of the positions within IBs and also management consultancy firms if they know it.

For example:
    Analyst
    Associate
    VP (and what does VP stand for?)
    MD (managing director?)
    Ex Director...

and what comes next?

Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Analyst: 1st few years of work. Usually before you do ure MBA you're considered an analyst.

Associate: Usually after MBA. You're more team based and control groups of people.

VP: Vice President - It's a level up being an associate.

MD: Managing Director: Whoo! You made MD buddy! These are the ones with the biggest office space and control the above 3.

Then you go into higher management such as board of directors, CIO, CEO etc

and what comes next? You give yourself a name such as cityboy and post blogs every monday and then reveal yourself after you get a great book deal and make loads of money off that. :yep: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    Analyst: 1st few years of work. Usually before you do ure MBA you're considered an analyst.

Associate: Usually after MBA. You're more team based and control groups of people.

MD: Managing Director: Whoo! You made MD buddy! These are the ones with the biggest office space and control the above 3.

and what comes next? You give yourself a name such as cityboy and post blogs every monday and then reveal yourself after you get a great book deal and make loads of money off that. :yep: :woo:
    haha thanks a bundle! That is a funny take on the roles, loved the end description lol. To me, the VP sounds so much more prestigious than the MD, and why is there no president if there is a VP. Where are the executives classed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will.Storm)
    haha thanks a bundle! That is a funny take on the roles, loved the end description lol. To me, the VP sounds so much more prestigious than the MD, and why is there no president if there is a VP. Where are the executives classed?
    Vice President is usually given to make yourself feel big and give your life meaning when your clocking 19hr work days.

Managing Directors have always been top dogs. The executives are usually MD's and then you have the board of directors and then the top positions, CIO, assistant CEO, CEO.

Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    I heared Executive Director comes below VP?

ReputationRep:

Generally correct, but many associates don't have MBAs. That's just one route in.

haha thanks a bundle! That is a funny take on the roles, loved the end description lol. To me, the VP sounds so much more prestigious than the MD, and why is there no president if there is a VP.
    There often is, but banks being banks, VP bears no relation to the president.

Technically, for any firm a director is someone who sits on the board. The board is split into non-executive directors who don't actually run the company (usually there to give external guidance and represent shareholders) and executive directors who are usually the CEO and MDs. Banks being banks, it's doesn't really work like that, with some banks adding a director position below the MD and MDs not being real directors in that they don't sit on the board.

Goldman also has Partner Managing Directors, as a throwback from when it was a mutual company.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing off Director, in between VP and MD at many banks.

Unofficially, analyst/associate are deemed junior roles, whereas from VP you have more credibility.

ReputationRep:
    At Goldman PMD>MD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Generally correct, but many associates don't have MBAs. That's just one route in.

There often is, but banks being banks, VP bears no relation to the president.

Technically, for any firm a director is someone who sits on the board. The board is split into non-executive directors who don't actually run the company (usually there to give external guidance and represent shareholders) and executive directors who are usually the CEO and MDs. Banks being banks, it's doesn't really work like that, with some banks adding a director position below the MD and MDs not being real directors in that they don't sit on the board.

Goldman also has Partner Managing Directors, as a throwback from when it was a mutual company.
    Vice President is usually given to make yourself feel big and give your life meaning when your clocking 19hr work days.

Managing Directors have always been top dogs. The executives are usually MD's and then you have the board of directors and then the top positions, CIO, assistant CEO, CEO.

Hope that helped!
    Thanks again for the exact info I was looking for.

I know it is quite difficult to generalise but could anyone put figures on the bands of typical salary at any of these positions and the number of years usually taken to reach them

ReputationRep:
    at JPM:

Analyst
    Assoc
    AVP (MO/BO only me thinks)
    VP
    SVP = Exec Dir (depending on what team you are in)
    MD = Exec VP (depending on what team you are in)

then its the C-club, but you also get MDs and EVPs (Heidi Millier for example) answerable to Jamie D.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is quite difficult to generalise but could anyone put figures on the bands of typical salary at any of these positions and the number of years usually taken to reach them
    Basic salaries:
    Analyst: £40k (2-3yrs in this position, until)
    Associate: £60k (2-5yrs)
    VP: £80k (2-10yrs)
    Director: £100k (2-20+ yrs)
    MD: £120k

Bonuses: All over the place. Varies by multiples within each position depending on desk, bank, time of the cycle..

I have high maximum times eg 10yrs VP, 20+ yrs Director as there's plenty of employees who are entirely competent and diligent, but get stuck in a certain position if they don't want further managerial responsibility so aren't so incentivised to climb the ladder.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.