Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    img goint to go on a deleting spree and delete about 50-100 people in september when i start back at uni. Its not that i dont like them, more tha i know i wont speak to them more than one a month so its pointless remaining facebook friends with them.
    also i have too many friend at 450+ ...needs slimming down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pollystyrene07)
    but if you talk to someone nearly every day and they have been your friend on facebook for over a year, then out of the blue just decided to delete you but none of your friends, then surely you would wonder why.
    out of pure curiosity, have you asked the person why they deleted you ?

ReputationRep:
    People take Facebook faaaaar to seriously! It is their loss if they don't want to be your friend!

but if you talk to someone nearly every day and they have been your friend on facebook for over a year, then out of the blue just decided to delete you but none of your friends, then surely you would wonder why.
    If you were that close friends in the first place you would more than likely see them regularly so could just ask them face to face, text, email.

ReputationRep:
    that would have been a random deletion then.
    if you see them in person everyday ask them why they deleted you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_hamster)
    No because it's the internet, you don't seem to be getting my point.
    so if your mate blocked your number on their mobile phone and they didn't want you calling or txting them, would you just think "oh well it doesn't matter, it's only technology" i don't think so! lol

ReputationRep:
    No... I only add my friends... why would you add someone who will delete you? Seems pointless. To be hurt by it is quite sad... Unless they're actually a friend, in which case, that's just not very nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    People take Facebook faaaaar to seriously! It is their loss if they don't want to be your friend!

If you were that close friends in the first place you would more than likely see them regularly so could just ask them face to face, text, email.
    well we weren't that close, we just chatted before the lectures really, but still!

ReputationRep:
    I looked at my number of friends for the first month or so, but after that I just haven't been bothered. I'll most likely not notice if someone deletes me from facebook anyway. In that case, I won't be too bothered.

However, if it happened that someone I'm actually properly friends with and keep in touch regularly, I would indeed be annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    i don't ever check the number of friends i have...
    at first i accepted every friend request because it was new and it's cool to find people after years and years, but then maybe i don't want every one of them seeing my pictures and checking my wall.
    so i started deleting people who i had a hard time remembering who they were...which indicates they're not really my friends now. i only deleted 5 people for that. oh, and i also delete every annoying person who sends an application request every single day.

ReputationRep:
    I delete people very so often. Normally those who I haven't spoken to recently, or know I won't particularly want to speak to in future. Like, I dont talk to many of my friends on facebook regularly, but I keep them there so that if I ever do want a chat with them, it's not awkward trying to re-add them.

I hate it when I delete people, and they request me again. So I readd them thinking that they might actually bother talking to me, but they dont. Gah. I only want my real friends on facebook, why is that so hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    so if your mate blocked your number on their mobile phone and they didn't want you calling or txting them, would you just think "oh well it doesn't matter, it's only technology" i don't think so! lol
    Your point is stupid because both these technologies are very different. Firstly over the internet it is anomonous to an extent, you have no real contact with people, just text on a screen. We also make versions of ourselves on the internet, in some cases very differently to how we act and appear in real life. Phones are different because you have direct contact with someone, if they call you they are speaking to you directly and text we are less likely to put up less of a front.
    I can provide you with a lot of information in this area, I have written a good few essays on this topic.
    In short, don't spend so much time worrying about things that don't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I had a massive cull of my Facebook friends after exams - I got rid of people I no longer speak to (through falling outs, drifting apart, whatever), people I've only ever met once or twice, people I've only ever spoken to once or twice, people I didn't know and people I could walk past in the corridor without saying at least 'Hello' to. Quite a few of these people have tried to readd me for some reason My policy is now if I see them on a regular basis and can have a good conversation with them, I'll add them. If not, BYE!

The only time I got upset when someone removed me from their friends list was when a hot guy did it I couldn't see his photos anymore.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't work out who it is, which has happened to me, then it's not actually a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Your point is stupid because both these technologies are very different. Firstly over the internet it is anomonous to an extent, you have no real contact with people, just text on a screen. We also make versions of ourselves on the internet, in some cases very differently to how we act and appear in real life. Phones are different because you have direct contact with someone, if they call you they are speaking to you directly and text we are less likely to put up less of a front.
    I can provide you with a lot of information in this area, I have written a good few essays on this topic.
    In short, don't spend so much time worrying about things that don't really matter.
    well they are still both forms of technology and a way of keeping in touch with people.

i still just don't understand why people go to the effort of deleting you for no valid reason, but hey that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    facebook is artificial

ReputationRep:
    I don't even notice. I don't keep track of the number of friends I have. But yeah I would be hurt

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel a bit hurt when you log on to your facebook account to find you have one less friend than when you previoulsy logged on? Like today I went on and this girl from uni had deleted me for no reason whatsoever! If people don't like you then why do they add/confirm your friend requests in the first place?! I've only ever deleted one person who updated their status every 5 mins and it just got annoying, but i don't do anything like that!
    I have no idea how many friends I have in there so I wouldn't notice. I culled about 150 people off my list recently, I do it all the time because you just build up piles of people you don't know that well. Doesn't bother me if people delete me though, it doesn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    well they are still both forms of technology and a way of keeping in touch with people.

i still just don't understand why people go to the effort of deleting you for no valid reason, but hey that's just my opinion.
    I just told you why, you just obviously take Facebook way too seriously.
    I deleted people that I didn't deem to be close friends that I speak to on a regular basis because I didn't really care about their lives and times. By the sounds of it you weren't best friends because you admited you only really spoke outside lectures. If people delete me then I really don't care, I can contact them in other ways and not make threads about how sad it makes me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be bothered, really. It's only Facebook!

ReputationRep:
    I just told you why, you just obviously take Facebook way too seriously.
    I deleted people that I didn't deem to be close friends that I speak to on a regular basis because I didn't really care about their lives and times. By the sounds of it you weren't best friends because you admited you only really spoke outside lectures. If people delete me then I really don't care, I can contact them in other ways and not make threads about how sad it makes me.
    lol as i say, its not as if i'm crying myself to sleep at night over it or anything, i just wondered why people do it, that's all so calm down! i must just be one of the few people in the world who don't bother deleting anybody! oh well.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.