The Student Room Group

Law degree vs Law conversion?

How does a law conversion work. Does it matter whether you do a law conversion or a law degree?
Original post by Anonymous1502
How does a law conversion work. Does it matter whether you do a law conversion or a law degree?

You're talking about the GDL which is a one year conversion course for people with a non Law degree, which is being phased out from September 2021. It doesn't seem to matter to Law firms which route you take but it has previously been cheaper to do a Law degree compared to a non Law degree plus GDL as it saves having to pay for the conversion course (or run up debt).

https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/03122019-The-Solicitors-Qualifying-Exam-everything-we-know-so-far
Original post by harrysbar
You're talking about the GDL which is a one year conversion course for people with a non Law degree, which is being phased out from September 2021. It doesn't seem to matter to Law firms which route you take but it has previously been cheaper to do a Law degree compared to a non Law degree plus GDL as it saves having to pay for the conversion course (or run up debt).

https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/03122019-The-Solicitors-Qualifying-Exam-everything-we-know-so-far

When the GDL is phased out does this mean the only way to practice law will be through doing a law degree?
Original post by Anonymous1502
When the GDL is phased out does this mean the only way to practice law will be through doing a law degree?

No, you need to read the link I posted above. The GDL will be replaced by something else called the Solicitor's Qualifying Exam or SQE
Original post by harrysbar
No, you need to read the link I posted above. The GDL will be replaced by something else called the Solicitor's Qualifying Exam or SQE

ok thank you.
If you graduate in a subject other than in law in summer 2020 and start the GDL in Sept 2020 you will be under the existing (old) sxystem and not have to do the SQE course. That is probably simpler as the SQE will probably require two things - some kind of course so you learn the equivalent of a law degreer i.e. like the GDP - BPP's new pGDL starts September 2020 and prepares people either for the GDL or SQE1 but then if you are doing SQE1 you then have to pay for and sit with Kaplan SQE1 exams separately. In my view it is probably going to be easier for people graduting next year if they are able to come within the old existing system particularly if they can get a training contract.

If you are still at school I would go to the best university you can - i.e. hardest to get into either to read law (difficult to get into although I did it) or not law. In other words bad ex poly with low grade entries for law much worse to go to than brilliant top university for non law subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending