The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

do a degree in management/retail management/business/marketing etc. get yourself a job in a store, and with experience you can then start climbing positions. Its not easy to get to the top spot like that... it takes a while unless you are outstanding.
scraceus999
do a degree in management/retail management/business/marketing etc. get yourself a job in a store, and with experience you can then start climbing positions. Its not easy to get to the top spot like that... it takes a while unless you are outstanding.

nothing to do with the thread but what a-levels do you do?i have a friend who is looking into the same career as you so interested on her behalf. -x-
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
nothing to do with the thread but what a-levels do you do?i have a friend who is looking into the same career as you so interested on her behalf. -x-

well for architecture, they like a balance of traditional subjects, so the perfect combination would be art (definitely needed!), maths, physics, and a humanities or essay based subject like history, history of art or english etc. but it isnt really the subjects that are important, it is your grades which need to be high and also your personal statement and work experience.

hope that helped :tongue:
scraceus999
well for architecture, they like a balance of traditional subjects, so the perfect combination would be art (definitely needed!), maths, physics, and a humanities or essay based subject like history, history of art or english etc. but it isnt really the subjects that are important, it is your grades which need to be high and also your personal statement and work experience.

hope that helped :tongue:
+

yeh but art isnt necessary x
Reply 5
scraceus999

You don't need a retail management or a business degree.

You can just as easily go for any traditional degree, especially a maths, history or english one. These will give some direct skills as well as plenty of transferable skils relevant to a career in retail management.
Reply 6
I didn't think you needed an art a level to do architecture at a good uni? My friend does it and she sure as hell didn't do art.... hmmm...
Reply 7
Sorry that was off the subject of the original post.
yes, but a more focused degree in management would be better if you're certain it's what you want to do. A management degree would beat an english degree from two identical job applicants :smile:
ally.pants
I didn't think you needed an art a level to do architecture at a good uni? My friend does it and she sure as hell didn't do art.... hmmm...

what did they do? -x-
ally.pants

it isnt essential, but it puts you at a huge advantage, and if you dont do it, then most uni's will ask for a portfolio anyway, so art is strongly recommended more than any other subject!
scraceus999

That is one way in, but you can also get on to retail management courses with a degree such as History or English (a friend of mine has a History degree and spent a year on the M&S graduate scheme). It's best to have a more 'flexible' degree, to allow for the fact that you might change your mind as regards your chosen career in the future (we all do it!). Maybe get some retail experience now as a part time job - because the best shop managers have an understanding of what it's like on 'the shop floor'. Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Ah yeah she did need a portfolio! I forgot about that.

She did history, maths and a science (can't remember which one?)
Me and another friend got in a little bit of an argument as she kept saying that my other friend wouldn't get in without art...but it seemed that most higher levels uni's prefer 3 solid a levels and maybe art as an extra or to as level ??
A lot of large chain stores/supermarkets etc. do graduate schemes to fastrack managment from pretty much any degree. I would think a faster route (and a better paid route) is get a decent degree in whatever intrests you, get onto a graduate managment scheme to get training/experience and then work your way into the store you want, also means you spend less time earning low wages. I know aldi to a graduate managment scheme where you enter at 40,000 a year moving up to 52,000 after three years
Reply 14
The manager of my local tescos is on 86,000 a year!!
ally.pants
The manager of my local tescos is on 86,000 a year!!

Are you sure? That seems like an awful lot :eek:
Reply 16
starcarton
I know aldi to a graduate managment scheme where you enter at 40,000 a year moving up to 52,000 after three years

40k starting salary and Audi TT company car so I hear. Plus private health care and the chance of being a directory within eight years. So they say, anyway.

40k starting salary, sweet :smile: Although I've heard that they find it hard to keep hold of their workers (from shop floor to management). This was from my mother who is a trading manager at Somerfield. She's heard it on the grapevine somewhere.

Just remember than any degree, certianly any traditional degree, will get you into retail management providing you have the additional skills and luck. I don't think you necessarily be at a greater advantage by studying business or management.
Reply 17
Milady de Winter

It does a bit, doesn't it? I suppose it may depend on size of the store and performance related bonuses.

I know the manager of my local Somerfireld is on 40k and even that is quite good for a store manager. You get some areas managers on only 50k.
Reply 18
Milady de Winter

Yep. The things they never let on at school...
Reply 19
Ah Somerfields are small aren't they? This Tesco is fairly big to be fair - but there is a bigger one 10 miles or so away.

Latest

Trending

Trending