Abby_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi Guys! I’m looking at applying to GEM in 2021 for 2022. So essentially I have a 2 year head start! I’m looking at sitting the UCAT next year for a mock and then I won’t be taking the ‘one that counts’ until 2021. In light of this, does anyone know the best materials for techniques for sections such as quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning as I struggle with these the most? 1,250 UCAT questions book but I find that pointless to start until I know specific equations for QR and know the best ways to start each section, ya know? Thank you guys so much.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Abby_x)
Hi Guys! I’m looking at applying to GEM in 2021 for 2022. So essentially I have a 2 year head start! I’m looking at sitting the UCAT next year for a mock and then I won’t be taking the ‘one that counts’ until 2021. In light of this, does anyone know the best materials for techniques for sections such as quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning as I struggle with these the most? 1,250 UCAT questions book but I find that pointless to start until I know specific equations for QR and know the best ways to start each section, ya know? Thank you guys so much.
I wrote the UCAT this year, scoring 747.5 average band 2 with my best section being QR- which I got 880 for, even though I hadn't really done maths since finishing school in 2018. I also had the 1250 UCAT questions book, but didn't really use it as it wasn't that great as the questions in QR were much harder then the actual thing and it doesn't recreate the conditions of the exam. I did go to a Medic portal day course, but honestly it was more paranoia then need that led me there- while it did help me feel more confident and gave me tips, I don't think I actually needed it.

I would definitely recommend Medify which I used as it is really reasonably priced, allows you to have a longer subscription period and is generally quite accurate in terms of difficulty for the UCAT (only real exception for me was SJT which was quite different to actual thing). With medify, they also have brief intro videos for each section and some theory with examples for the different sections assessed, e.g. they give you some of the most common formulae. This year, I personally thought that the Medify QR questions were accurate in helping to prepare for the actual exam. It also helps to practice using a simple onscreen calculator that acts quite similarly to the actual UCAT calculator- it can be quite difficult to suddenly go back to basics in terms of calculator but not equation.

I also watched Youtube videos, you can find people reviewing the different UCAT prep courses and helping with the different sections. For QR, Kharma Medic's video- how to use the UCAT calculator really helped me with QR as I learned how to use the memory function which saved me time and helped with accuracy (in preventing mistakes using the calculator). Youtube is great for also finding free videos on different sections and equations, etc.

Online practice worked best for me, it doesn't really make sense to practice with unrealistic conditions- I know a few people who didn't use online revision at all and regretted it as when it came to the actual thing they struggled as they wasted time by not using keyboard shortcuts (for flagging, going on to the next question, making the calculator appear, etc).

Even though you are thinking of doing it as practice, definitely go about it as if it was the real thing as it will show you where you need to improve.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed