Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Scraped the side of my car it's not too noticeable, but I want it covered over so it doesn't rust or anything. There's a couple of small patches where you can see right down to the bodywork. Could anyone recommend a cheap spray-paint or other way of restoring the scratches?

ReputationRep:
    yellow pages, call around carages

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to go to a garage, they'll charge a silly amount and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself if I just get the right spray or wax thing or whatever I'm supposed to use to protect it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I don't want to go to a garage, they'll charge a silly amount and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself if I just get the right spray or wax thing or whatever I'm supposed to use to protect it.
    When i scraped the side of my car i used Waxoyl to cover it up to prevent rust. Then i later got my mum's boyfriend to sand it down, primer and spray the right colour of paint over it. It's not too expensive presuming you don't want it professionally fixed and it looks ok.

is it mettalic paint?

ReputationRep:
    Guess you could T-Cut it depending on the depth of the scratches...
    If they're really deep it may be a sanding + primer job, but you probably don't want to do that yourself unless you're really handy with power tools.

ReputationRep:
    I T-Cut it and there's still some white so I'm guessing they're the deeper scratches. And no it's not metallic paint, it's cheap green stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    put a little lump of zinc in contact with the metal on there. no rusting whatsoever. (apparently...)
    True, zinc will galvanise stuff...but I think the OP is looking for a more permanent fix...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I T-Cut it and there's still some white so I'm guessing they're the deeper scratches. And no it's not metallic paint, it's cheap green stuff :p:
    Do you know the exact colour? You could probably get a touch-up stick from the manufacturer for about £10-15, which would work perfectly if you could match it. Might need a little T-Cutting to help blend it in with the original paintwork, but if done carefully enough can look as good as a respray

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.