Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Waah I'm starting my 12 month placement tomorrow :>.<:

Maybe it would be a good idea to setup (or even sticky) a placement thread like this because I know a few people here are starting placements soon and it could be a good way to whine about the way real work slaps us in the face after lazing out way through the first few years of university :woo: *breathes*

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that man!
    At which company, and what have you been studying?

Does anybody know what grade do you need to get at your first or second year to get a place in a company like IBM?..

ReputationRep:
    Usually for the bigger companies you need to be aiming for an overall 2:1 degree or higher

My placement is with the financial department of Diamond Light Source Ltd. They do scientific research with a huge particle accelerator :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    I started my placement on the 30th of June with 3M healthcare =) Really enjoying it so far!
    Just got my exam results and I've managed to pass with 120 credits weeee. Was soooo worried about failing at least one of them below 30% and losing my placement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnMvP)
    Does anybody know what grade do you need to get at your first or second year to get a place in a company like IBM?..
    My mates with IBM this year and he was on borderline 2.1/2.2. But i'm guessing he'll be in a different department to you so might vary

-x-

ReputationRep:
    I leave in 5 minutes :>.<: eeeeee wish me luck :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I started my second week this week. I'm a design engineer working for Syngenta who make chemicals and stuff. Living it up in Huddersfield up in yorkshire.

Hi, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Right, has anyone else had to cancel their accomodation that they (just in case) secured for 08/09..?

Accomodation sent me some details, and I don't understand the second page, with regards to charges. Will I get my deposit back as I am notifying them prior to my contract starting..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    Right, has anyone else had to cancel their accomodation that they (just in case) secured for 08/09..?

Accomodation sent me some details, and I don't understand the second page, with regards to charges. Will I get my deposit back as I am notifying them prior to my contract starting..?
    If your hall is the same as falk egg you will, they sent out an email saying that if you provide proof of your placement your deposit will be refunded. However it could just be an imago policy, I don't know.

I have nothing else to offer on the subject of placements, still deciding if I want to do one myself.

ReputationRep:
    They're very beneficial, gives you a Diploma in Professional Studies. Then again, it's really whether you can be bothered or not :p:

ReputationRep:
    I secured a room at William Morris...so would be under the Unite management...but still dealt with the university accomodation people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehuty^)
    They're very beneficial, gives you a Diploma in Professional Studies.
    Which you will then have to explain a lot because most companies have no idea what it means... (Or at least I've had to with my diploma in industrial studies.) But either way it's a year of work experience for your CV. And most people tend to get better grades when they come back, and the money is nice to have!!

ReputationRep:
    Just been browsing for accomodation for my placement...and there are so many houses/flats I would love to live in near my placement...but too expensive...here are two of them...

http://www.findaproperty.com/display...&agentid=10480

http://www.findaproperty.com/display...&agentid=03306

And thinking of getting a laptop too...too much decisions...so many good looking laptops out there...

ReputationRep:
    So it's not the end of the world if you get 2.2..
    What do you guys think would be better? To do your placement year before the 3rd year or after(before starting your master's degree)?

ReputationRep:
    I would say before, because as mentioned before, it can majorly help with your final year, in terms of possible dissertation projects, other courseworks, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Updates? How are people getting on?

ReputationRep:
    I commence on the 11th, still sorting out accomodation, though got B&B sorted for the first 2 weeks, but we have to pay for it first, then we can reclaim the expenses, and it's £50 a night! Arggh!

How you getting on Ben..?

ReputationRep:
    You mean you start on August 11th? Laaame :p:

Just started my second week. I've settled in nicely, got some work to do, got a nice flat in Didcot

ReputationRep:
    eeeep less than a week till i start! altho from what i hear the first two weeks are fairly cushty for us, learning how stuff works etc

ReputationRep:
    into my 3rd week, boring but good money

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.