Turn on thread page Beta

Is the join between Church and State in the UK soon on it's way out? watch

• View Poll Results: The state and the church, divorce?
    Its pretty close, I'd give it two more years maximum.
    10.53%
    Its a while off, between 5 and 10 years.
    13.16%
    Two to Three decades.
    31.58%
    Never.
    31.58%
    Other (Please State)
    13.16%

ReputationRep:
    The UK is a predominantly secular country in practice. Despite this, The UK is still joined to the Church.

Do you think a separation is soon coming? Eventually? Long Term? Never?

Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, given the link is merely ceremonial. Though I contest that a majority of the country is secular (but that is besides the point).

ReputationRep:
    As long as we still have a monarchy, I think it will probably stay. It will just continue to become less relevant to people lives. Certainly all the infighting over things that would seem trivial to most people-women bishops-furthers alienation between church and public.

ReputationRep:
    If the CoE has representatives in the House of Lords then surely imans and rabbi's deserve some place there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If the CoE has representatives in the House of Lords then surely imans and rabbi's deserve some place there.
    Or none of them do :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Or none of them do :yep:
    I agree, religion has NO place in politics.
    If CoE hierarchy have seats in the HoL then so should should I, as a self-professed High Lord of His Holiness The Flying Spaghetti Monster and all assorted Noodly Appendages.
    You might guess I'm slightly anti-religion, but really, the Church is more of a hinderance than a help in politics.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. I like saying that I'm against the antidisestablishmentarianism cause -- it makes me sound clever. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    I like saying that I'm against the antidisestablishmentarianism cause

So you are antiantidisestablishmentarianist ? Or just disestablishmentarianist?
    Or against establishment?
    So you do want to see the Church separated from the State? As this is the establishment?
    My head hurts.

ReputationRep:
    No, the British tend to have hang-ups about changing this kind of thing. If someone proposed it, it would be attacked in Parliament as eroding our culture/traditions/liberties, even if the link is obviously now only ceremonial. Like having gay marriage rather than an identical civil union, its one of those things that probably isn't worth upsetting traditionalists over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    So you are antiantidisestablishmentarianist ? Or just disestablishmentarianist?
    Or against establishment?
    So you do want to see the Church separated from the State? As this is the establishment?
    My head hurts.
    Just disestablishmentarianist. If I'd have said that, though, I wouldn't have sounded as clever! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    So you are against the estabishment? i.e. pro disestablishment? I'm not a politics student, I don't really know if that means you are against the church in political power? Can you clear me up pls?

ReputationRep:
    An antidisestablishmentarian is someone who opposes the removal of tie between the state and the church of england. Consequently, a disestablishmentarian is someone who holds the opposite view, i.e. they believe that the church should not be linked to the state.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's what I thought, just wasn't sure.

ReputationRep:
    The Church and State is on its way out, soon to be followed by the Mosque and State if current demographic trends continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Why not throw them all out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Why not throw them all out?
    That's my preference tbh

ReputationRep:
    Please god (lol?) let the ling be done away with.

It's stupid.

To attempt to be a multicultural nation, acceptance blah blah blah, and still have this strange one-sided 'support' for a single religion... madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_jeopardy)
    Please god (lol?) let the ling be done away with.

It's stupid.

To attempt to be a multicultural nation, acceptance blah blah blah, and still have this strange one-sided 'support' for a single religion... madness.
    Especially when it is a religion whose adherents violently protest against the slightest criticism of it.

ReputationRep:
    Having an established church does seem a bit out of touch with the general population. According to the census most people are CoE christians, but considering only a minority actually attend church or take part in any religious activity, it's safe to say the church is not important to most people. We have an effectively secular society already. I don't particularly care if some bit of paper somewhere says CoE is the "official" religion if it has no effect in practice. But I suppose it would be preferable to remove it if it's not too much bother. I have no problem with the Queen also being the figure head of the CoE. She has many titles which are not related to her status as the UK's monarch, so it doesn't bother me that one of those titles happens to be related to a religious organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Especially when it is a religion, a minority ofadherents, violently protest against the slightest criticism of it, which is disproportionately exacarbated by the media.
    That's better.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.