Turn on thread page Beta

Is the join between Church and State in the UK soon on it's way out? watch

• View Poll Results: The state and the church, divorce?
    Its pretty close, I'd give it two more years maximum.
    10.53%
    Its a while off, between 5 and 10 years.
    13.16%
    Two to Three decades.
    31.58%
    Never.
    31.58%
    Other (Please State)
    13.16%

ReputationRep:
    They don't affect your life in anyway so who cares if the people who built this country still get a minor say in how it's run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkypish)
    They don't affect your life in anyway so who cares if the people who built this country still get a minor say in how it's run?
    Nonsense,

The fact that this country is still joined to the church creates a subversive cultural bias.

ReputationRep:
    Really its not worth making the fuss over as to all effective purposes the state and church are seperate.
    The house of lords situation is a tricky one however as it can be argued that Lords are leaders in there choosen fields so by disallowing the religious leaders we disallow religion as a field of importance. That itself does not bother me its just that after religion what comes next?
    Also the idea of discluding fields from politics could be bad if taken beyond politics.

ReputationRep:
    Did they personally build this country? Plus I wouldn't say the Church of England really built this country, quite the opposite really (i.e. this country built the Church of England). I don't think England or the UK have ever been run with a particularly religious agenda, certainly no more so than any other european country at the time. Yes there has traditionally been a religious affiliation, but I don't think the religion itself was ever a big motivation for most of the actions the country has taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Nonsense,

The fact that this country is still joined to the church creates a subversive cultural bias.
    A cultural bias which is nothing if not British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    The Church and State is on its way out, soon to be followed by the Mosque and State if current demographic trends continue.
    Unlikely!

Demographic trends would have to speed up massively, and it's not even as if the state religion is exactly chosen democratically anyway...Only 2.8% of the UK's population are Muslims

ReputationRep:
    It's not really that joined, the only real link is the Queen being head of the church, but she's only a ceremonial part of the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shootbangfire)
    It's not really that joined, the only real link is the Queen being head of the church, but she's only a ceremonial part of the state.
    Well technically the Church of England is the state religion of England (and only England I think). But that doesn't really mean much in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense,

And where else do you propose English speaking Christians go and live? At the end of the day if Muslims want to live in a Muslim fashion they can go to any Muslim country and live the way they want. This whole country was built around Christianity and it's not for non-Christians to dismantle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Did they personally build this country? Plus I wouldn't say the Church of England really built this country, quite the opposite really (i.e. this country built the Church of England). I don't think England or the UK have ever been run with a particularly religious agenda, certainly no more so than any other european country at the time. Yes there has traditionally been a religious affiliation, but I don't think the religion itself was ever a big motivation for most of the actions the country has taken.
    Then why are people advocating that it's gotten rid of? They barely have a say as it is...

The links that remain between the State and Church should be dismantled. While, as others have said, much of what remains has a 'decorative' quality, it still privileges religion over non-religion and Christianity over other religions, so it should be brought to an end.

I think that separation will occur, over the next few decades, possibly with the initiative coming from the C of E itself.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope so eh..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the Church and State will ever be separated - at least, perhaps not until membership of the Church becomes so low that it will, effictively, be disbanded (and hopefully, if this does occur, all the churches and cathedrals will still somehow be maintained).
    Considering this country is so secular already (and I know you have your doubts, Socrates, but I'm sure that number of people who don't visit some place of worship outweigh the number of people who do) and still we are joined, if we haven't already separated from the Church, I'd have to question if we ever will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    The links that remain between the State and Church should be dismantled. While, as others have said, much of what remains has a 'decorative' quality, it still privileges religion over non-religion and Christianity over other religions, so it should be brought to an end.

I think that separation will occur, over the next few decades, possibly with the initiative coming from the C of E itself.
    Well not really. If you consider the amount of places religious officals hold and how much power they have there is a heavy heavy bias towards non-religion. Indeed religious officals can't push through anything they care about at all. Christianity should be put above other religions, this being a Christian country and all. I mean why should Christians have every one of their countries taken away by Muslims and Jews when they have perfectly good states of their own to return to. I fail to see why every Christian state should be usurped when there are already states set up where Muslims, Jews, Atheists and so on can go and live under laws the way they want them.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity should be put above other religions, this being a Christian country and all. I mean why should Christians have every one of their countries taken away by Muslims and Jews when they have perfectly good states of their own to return to. I fail to see why every Christian state should be usurped when there are already states set up where Muslims, Jews, Atheists and so on can go and live under laws the way they want them.
    Vile :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Vile :yep:
    Care to argue a point instead of making a statement? As I said Christians built this country, you don't know how lucky you are they let you exist in the first place, they certainly wouldn't in Muslim states.

ReputationRep:
    Care to argue a point instead of making a statement? As I said Christians built this country, you don't know how lucky you are they let you exist in the first place, they certainly wouldn't in Muslim states.
    What the ****?

You say it as if that gives them any kind of authority to decide weather someone exists or not.

People like this make me ill.... Divisive, holier than thou - Fanatics.

Well not really. If you consider the amount of places religious officals hold and how much power they have there is a heavy heavy bias towards non-religion. Indeed religious officals can't push through anything they care about at all. Christianity should be put above other religions, this being a Christian country and all. I mean why should Christians have every one of their countries taken away by Muslims and Jews when they have perfectly good states of their own to return to. I fail to see why every Christian state should be usurped when there are already states set up where Muslims, Jews, Atheists and so on can go and live under laws the way they want them.
    Not really what? I said that much of the links between the two were of a 'decorative' nature. I don't think the state should be anti-religion, but nor should it be attached to any religion - so any 'bias towards non-religion' is a good thing. No, Christianity shouldn't be 'put above other religions' we don't live in a theocracy. I'm not a Christian and don't see why it should have any authority over me whatsoever; Christianity, like Islam or any other religion should be a matter of private choice and independent practice within a wholly secular state as far as I'm concerned. As for you failing to see, you fail to see much.

ReputationRep:
    What the ****?

You say it as if that gives them any kind of authority to decide weather someone exists or not.

People like this make me ill.... Divisive, holier than thou - Fanatics.
    I'm not a holier than thou. They let you exist so why do you refuse to grant them such a priviledge back? You would be persecuted into the ground if you lived in Saudi Arabia for instance. At the end of the day Christian's tollerance will be it's downfall as they've systematically lost every single country they've built. What exactly makes you think an atheist secular way is the right way to go over a partially religious and majority atheist way? Simply because Muslims chose to come here why should they infer that they have the right to influence our policy in their direction when they have a perfectly good place to go and live in that fashion already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Not really what? I said that much of the links between the two were of a 'decorative' nature. I don't think the state should be anti-religion, but nor should it be attached to any religion - so any 'bias towards non-religion' is a good thing. No, Christianity shouldn't be 'put above other religions' we don't live in a theocracy. I'm not a Christian and don't see why it should have any authority over me whatsoever; Christianity, like Islam or any other religion should be a matter of private choice and independent practice within a wholy secular state as far as I'm concerned. As for you failing to see, you fail to see much.
    Well surely atheists shouldn't have any authority over me, and that's what a secular environment will produce. There are perfectly good secular states for you to go and live in, Christians should have somewhere they can go to live the way that they want so why not in the state that they made powerful? Christianity should be put above other religions on the basis that more people here are Christian, and not only that but other religions have places to go and have their religion put first.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.