Turn on thread page Beta

Am I right to be so cross? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    This doesn't make any sense. o.o; firstly, I meant that we celebrate big time (like big plans) every six months, and do something every month (like a meal out/cinema etc) every month bar one - the one I was in hospital for. And even if I missed one of the six month celebrations, that would still leave 4 others? (2 and a half years)
    Celebrated the first 6 month - yea sure thats pretty normal
    Celebrated the first year - yep again normal
    Missed the year and a half - cos of in hospital?
    Celebrated 2nd year - sure, people do once a year
    Not told off 2.5 years - most people dont?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    Joanna May may (heh) have a point - did he know YOU knew it was your 2.5 year anniversary today?
    I did text him to wish him a happy anniversary when I got up (around 9) and got "Yeah, you too." back.

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop being so annoying on this thread!
    Everyone has different relationships! Just because you personally don't celebrate 6 months it doesn't mean other people don't. The OP and her partner do, and are well aware that they do - they also acknowledge every month, as some people do for the first few years of their relationship.
    Please read all the posts before posting!
    [/rant]

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, if in your relationship it's the 'done thing' to go all out on sixmonthly anniversaries you've every right to be cross with him. That said, I imagine his brother coming over is fairly rare and I could understand him wanting to be with him for the day, though perhaps he should have came back to spend the night/evening with you, or atleast called and apoligised for missing the anniversary (if he remembered).

Before you create hell with him, are you sure that you've actually got the right date? From a different perspective, perhaps he ma be upset that you hadn't made the effort to attend (seeing as you were invited), and it seems to be a fairly big/special occassion for the familly.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I tend to annoyed when my boyfriend doesn't remember things like our 9monthiversary etc. However, I think you just have to move on and accept that you can't really expect him to have remembered, he obviously has something else on that it's important for him to be at (it's not just like he can't be bothered to see you...) and that there's no point taking it out on him, because you didn't tell him you had plans, and he isn't deliberately doing anything to upset you... Maybe tell him tomorrow and hope he feels a bit guilty for not remembering, means you might get a nice night out, and he'll make more of an effort in future.

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't make any sense. o.o; firstly, I meant that we celebrate big time (like big plans) every six months, and do something every month (like a meal out/cinema etc) every month bar one - the one I was in hospital for. And even if I missed one of the six month celebrations, that would still leave 4 others? (2 and a half years)
    I think I'm confused now, but if you missed one of the six monthlies, then that would leave three (because you've only had four up till now), and two of those would have been a yearly anniversary, rather than a 6 monthly [unless you and your boyfriend said plainly to each other 'Happy second 6 months' or something similar].

Tbh, I think you should just do the picnic tomorrow, and just be happy that you've got him. I think that the fact that his brother was coming home meant that he would have forgotten about any anniversary, especially as he's a guy :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I can see why you'd be upset about the whole situation - you had this lovely surprise all planned out & wanted to make your boyfriend...and then it didn't happen. Although you should be angry at the situation, I guess you've realised you shouldn't be angry at your boyfriend (glad you've calmed down a little now!)

I think you should do the picnic tomorrow or sometime soon, before the food goes bad, this time telling your boyfriend that you've got something special planned. And I'm sure he'll love it!

Have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
    tbh I'd ignore everyone's comments about a 6 month point not being an anniversarry
    No-one's really said that though. Everyone's just said, it's not one of the standard ones everyone celebrates, so he can't be blamed for not knowing to keep himself free. Which is true, he had no reason to know, so when it's a complete secret, it wouldn't be fair to hold it against him.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, is IS a normal 'checkpoint' for us - As I've said, we pace by 6 months, not years.

He doesn't normally drink (he's on medication), so he can't use that.

*sighs* I'm just more cross that I've had NO time with him today - I even asked if he could come and pick me up when I finished work so I could come over and see his family an stuff and I got a blunt 'no - I've got no fuel' (Even though he then offered me £10 fuel money if I drove over in my dads car - Which wasn't here at the time - to compensate - Why couldn't he just put the £10 in his car?!)
    fair enough.
    Put it down to a lack of communication, he may have assumed his brother coming home gave a good enough reason to mis the anniversary, or maybe he thought you had forgot the anniverary so was a bit annoyed himself and thats why he stayed over the night.
    Mention that it was your anniversary the next time you see him a gauge his reaction.

ReputationRep:
    I did text him to wish him a happy anniversary when I got up (around 9) and got "Yeah, you too." back.
    Really, can you not see it from his point? You knew a long time in advance that he had plans for that day, so there was always a possibility that these plans would overrun, yet since you didn't say anything about anniversary plans of your own, he presumed you were cool with just wishing each other happy anniversary and maybe going out another day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.