The Student Room Group

Getting a job while in uni

I’m in my first year of college and I’ve just started looking into universities, and I am concerned about how people in universities manage to get jobs to fund rent, bills and food. Having done research into the jobs in nearby cities (Durham, Darlington) and found that the north east doesn’t have much to offer. Can Anyone who’s been to uni in/ around the north east explain how they managed to get a job/ what kind of things are available, how easily they could manage a job with studies etc. Thanks
Original post by DPat1210
I’m in my first year of college and I’ve just started looking into universities, and I am concerned about how people in universities manage to get jobs to fund rent, bills and food. Having done research into the jobs in nearby cities (Durham, Darlington) and found that the north east doesn’t have much to offer. Can Anyone who’s been to uni in/ around the north east explain how they managed to get a job/ what kind of things are available, how easily they could manage a job with studies etc. Thanks

Hello :smile:

Whilst I don't know about jobs specifically in that area I would imagine once you begin university that would be prime time for employers to recruit. It is their busy season and they knew students are arriving to university so it can sometimes be worthwhile to move to university a couple of days early or apply for jobs before you arrive at university to get that edge on those looking once they start a course.

One suggestion I would make would be to contact your university about jobs, Liverpool Hope has jobs ranging from catering to support and events and I would assume your university has the same. Be sure to look at your university of choice's website and see what they have to offer. :biggrin:

Patrick :lep:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello :smile:

Whilst I don't know about jobs specifically in that area I would imagine once you begin university that would be prime time for employers to recruit. It is their busy season and they knew students are arriving to university so it can sometimes be worthwhile to move to university a couple of days early or apply for jobs before you arrive at university to get that edge on those looking once they start a course.

One suggestion I would make would be to contact your university about jobs, Liverpool Hope has jobs ranging from catering to support and events and I would assume your university has the same. Be sure to look at your university of choice's website and see what they have to offer. :biggrin:

Patrick :lep:

Thank you. I never thought of that. I’ll keep this in mind.
Original post by DPat1210
Thank you. I never thought of that. I’ll keep this in mind.

No problem,

If you have any further questions, please do let us know.

:shakehand:
Hey, I'm currently a student at Durham so I think I'm qualified enough to answer :smile:

Depending on the college you're allocated to, you can work at the college bars, and if your college doesn't have a bar then you can work at the student union cafe and/or uni cafes. There are plenty of part-time jobs available for students, and I think this is better than working for, for example, Tesco or Starbucks, as they understand your needs as a student better and are thus more lenient/flexible. That said, I've seen students working at Subways, Greggs and a few restaurants.

Which unis are you considering in particular, and what sort of jobs are you interested in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending