Rumi100
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, guys so I'm an international student, I've already sent my UCAS however I love the course in Lancaster and want to change it with that of bristol. However many have told me Bristol uni is much better and the city is better than Lancaster. people say Lancaster is very rural and has terrible services namely transport, is that true?
My personality outdoor-loving, not quite into nightlife but maybe once in a while a good drink out with your friends is nice, I definitely need a social city as in not isolated from people because I'm a peoples person ( i need a place where many are friendly but not too rural) As in I could never live in main London, I will be too lost. Any other good uni suggestions I'm doing biology btw.
Joe1000000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly it sounds like Lancaster would be ideal for you. (I can't speak for Bristol as I've never been there, sorry).
Lancaster is consistently above Bristol in both overall and Biology-specific league tables, and whilst there may not be a massive gap between them, I would certainly dispute the claim that Bristol is "much better".
As for the area whilst Lancaster is certainly in a rural setting, thousands of students call it their home and the city itself has a lot of services that cater to students. It's certainly not a big city like Manchester or Birmingham (but hop on a train and you can be in Manchester in an hour (ish)). What the rural setting does offer you is very easy access to the countryside, in particular the Lake District, and a large range of student societies that make use of it. These include mountain-biking, hiking, mountaineering, and many more.

Overall people at Lancaster are very friendly and welcoming. I'm not saying there aren't any ****holes, but you'll find them anywhere, and assuming that you join a society or two and get involved then you certainly won't feel isolated.
Rumi100
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joe1000000)
Honestly it sounds like Lancaster would be ideal for you. (I can't speak for Bristol as I've never been there, sorry).
Lancaster is consistently above Bristol in both overall and Biology-specific league tables, and whilst there may not be a massive gap between them, I would certainly dispute the claim that Bristol is "much better".
As for the area whilst Lancaster is certainly in a rural setting, thousands of students call it their home and the city itself has a lot of services that cater to students. It's certainly not a big city like Manchester or Birmingham (but hop on a train and you can be in Manchester in an hour (ish)). What the rural setting does offer you is very easy access to the countryside, in particular the Lake District, and a large range of student societies that make use of it. These include mountain-biking, hiking, mountaineering, and many more.

Overall people at Lancaster are very friendly and welcoming. I'm not saying there aren't any ****holes, but you'll find them anywhere, and assuming that you join a society or two and get involved then you certainly won't feel isolated.
Wow, thanks buddy, really cleared up my confusion, btw are u applying this year for uni? what unis are you applying to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.32%

Watched Threads