val7322
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In order to get good grades for english people use "fancy" language. how do i develop that? any apps or websites?
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by val7322)
In order to get good grades for english people use "fancy" language. how do i develop that? any apps or websites?
Reading books can help a lot, which qualification are you talking abut firstly?
val7322
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazelly)
Reading books can help a lot, which qualification are you talking abut firstly?
AQA english lang and lit
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AQA english lang and lit
Ah okay, have a look at these links below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...k7h/revision/1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqPqKoOMiQ

https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/317141

Hope this helps!
val7322
Rep:
?
thank you
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you
No problem
ellaswords
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you’re not the only one - honestly my vocabulary is so basic. from experience the whole ‘read more advice’ doesn’t help- or it didn’t for me anyway. i read loads, & well, yeah, it didn’t help me at all.
i had this idea about how to improve my vocabulary but i’ve never actually got round to giving it a shot. i work well with mindmaps, for revision etc, so i thought about creating mindmaps for synonyms of basic words i tend to use a lot. as for learning new words, i don’t know how i plan to improve my knowledge of words in general though sorry 🤷🏻*♀️
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ellaswords)
you’re not the only one - honestly my vocabulary is so basic. from experience the whole ‘read more advice’ doesn’t help- or it didn’t for me anyway. i read loads, & well, yeah, it didn’t help me at all.
i had this idea about how to improve my vocabulary but i’ve never actually got round to giving it a shot. i work well with mindmaps, for revision etc, so i thought about creating mindmaps for synonyms of basic words i tend to use a lot. as for learning new words, i don’t know how i plan to improve my knowledge of words in general though sorry 🤷🏻*♀️
Just reading won't help. You have to read things of quality and take notes of words/expressions that catch your eye.
ellaswords
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Just reading won't help. You have to read things of quality and take notes of words/expressions that catch your eye.
what sort of books would you class as ‘of quality’ then? 🤔
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what sort of books would you class as ‘of quality’ then? 🤔
Depends what genre you're hoping to get into. Here are a handful of examples from my own collection:

Drama - The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
Prose Fiction - Perfume by Patrick Süskind
Non-fiction - Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Poetry - this really does depend on whose style you like but I generally find Philip Larkin's works to be very easy to get into, especially for teenagers. If you're wanting to explore French poetry, Louise Labé is your girl. You also can't go wrong with Dorothy Parker. :rambo:
Newspapers - The Times, The Independent, Financial Times, The Scotsman etc.
iFlops
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've developed my own dictionary-type list where I add words that I've never heard before, can never remember the meaning to, etc. The words I hear can be from radio shows, tv programs, books, websites, especially articles. I can pm you my list so far, if you're interested in some complex vocab?
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iFlops)
I've developed my own dictionary-type list where I add words that I've never heard before, can never remember the meaning to, etc. The words I hear can be from radio shows, tv programs, books, websites, especially articles. I can pm you my list so far, if you're interested in some complex vocab?
From my experience, this is the best cure for a ‘small vocabulary’ (should that even be considered an ailment). However, for greater efficacy, I'd write the word class and at least three example sentences.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
who told you that fancy language gets you good grades?

make sure you clarify this with your teacher before you start using fancy language in your essays. all my academic professors state that clarity and concision is key and that 'fancy' language is outdated. if you want to be a sophisticated writer, it's more important to use the most appropriate word, not the fanciest word.

but if you want to expand your vocabulary, then yeah - reading is essential so you can see 'fancy' words in context, as opposed to a thesaurus where it seems like all synonyms mean the same thing (they do not).
val7322
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
you’re not the only one - honestyely my vocabulary is so basic. from experience the whole ‘read more advice’ doesn’t help- or it didn’t for me anyway. i read loads, & well, yeah, it didn’t help me at all.
yeah i totally agree with you, i tried reading a lot but it did nought . however i tried vocabulary.com and it seems to be doing the trick
val7322
Rep:
?
(Original post by iFlops)
thanks for pm-ing me your vocab list, its really helpful
Alisha White
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You just have to do it one word/phrase at a time.
val7322
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
ok i'll try that cheers
val7322
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
who told you that fancy language gets you good grades?

make sure you clarify this with your teacher before you start using fancy language in your essays. all my academic professors state that clarity and concision is key and that 'fancy' language is outdated. if you want to be a sophisticated writer, it's more important to use the most appropriate word, not the fanciest word.

but if you want to expand your vocabulary, then yeah - reading is essential so you can see 'fancy' words in context, as opposed to a thesaurus where it seems like all synonyms mean the same thing (they do not).
well im doing the AQA Gcse exam for my english and especially for the narrative writing we need "judicious " and "complex" vocabulary according to the mark scheme
val7322
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
From my experience, this is the best cure for a ‘small vocabulary’ (should that even be considered an ailment). However, for greater efficacy, I'd write the word class and at least three example sentences.
oky ill try that thank you
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well im doing the AQA Gcse exam for my english and especially for the narrative writing we need "judicious " and "complex" vocabulary according to the mark scheme
Don't overlook the fact that they want 'judicious' vocabulary. Examiners have a keen eye for spotting people desperately trying to shoehorn 'complex vocabulary' into their writing.

I got 40/40 for my narrative in the real thing, and even I felt as though my vocabulary, albeit ambitious, wasn't truly judicious. I was worried that I would be caught out, and I guess this fear resulted in a degree of caution, which actually helped me.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (74)
14.86%
1 (68)
13.65%
2 (65)
13.05%
20.68%
20.08%
5 (88)
17.67%

Watched Threads