The Student Room Group

General Election 2019: The All-Nighter Thread - Tories win majority

Well we're back! For the 3rd time in 4 years, the UK has gone to the polls once more. In an election dogged by Brexit, it remains to be seen what the outcome will be for this December election.

Just like 2017, this is the thread for all of you staying up throughout the night and wanting to enjoy the drama unfolding in real time. We'll be housing the main discussion of all things 'election' in this thread.

The following broadcasters have confirmed coverage for the election (who will you be watching?):

BBC (9:55pm) - Headed by Huw Edwards (we will miss you Dimbleby :moon:). Expect appearances from Reeta Chakrabarti, Andrew Neil, Tina Daheley, Jeremy Vine, Laura Kuenssberg, Katya Adler, Nick Robinson, and Andrew Marr. Of course, expect Sir John Curtice to be assessing the data as ever.

ITV (9:55pm) - Headed by Tom Bradby. Expect appearances from Robert Peston, Allegra Stratton, George Osborne, Ed Balls, Ruth Davidson, Alan Johnson, Jo Johnson, Fiona Hill and Jon Lansman. Prof Jane Green and Prof Colin Rallings provide the data analysis.

Sky News (9pm) - Headed by Dermot Murnaghan. Expect appearances from Beth Rigby, Sam Coates, Ed Conway and John Bercow.

C4 (9:55pm) - Headed by Rylan Clark-Neal. Expect appearances from Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Katherine Ryan, Amber Rudd, Tom Watson, Clare Balding, Rob Rinder and Matt Forde.

As ever, the official exit poll will be announced at 10pm, at which point we should have a clearer picture of the way the night will unfold.

An estimation of when each seat will be declaring their results can be found here: https://election.pressassociation.com/general-election/estimated-declaration-times-by-time/

Finally, let's make this an enjoyable night for everyone. No insults or whatnot, let's just have a clean discussion on the night's events :smile:

I'll update this OP with additional information as I find it.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Should be an interesting night, I’m sure!

Got my snacks ready 😌
ELGsEKdXkAISZs1.jpeg
Looking forward to these scenes
Not convinced I'll make it through all the result announcements, but I'm planning to stay up for at least some of them! :tongue:
Absolutely in, will be watching BBC coverage!
That's exactly why it is really difficult to bring yourself to vote.

The choice is between a ridiculous fantasist and a compulsive liar, both of whom I would be ashamed of.
Just a reminder not to vote too late. Turning up expecting to vote at 21:59 tomorrow is leaving it too late! Many polling stations shut their doors a few minutes before 10. Please, please don't get turned away - vote before 9.30pm. The polls open at 7am.
I'll be watching tomorrow night on whatever platform allows me to watch (whether using my VPN or not). I expect I'll stay up until at least 2am UK time, but we'll see what happens!
Not an all nighter for. In this part of the world I'll be setting my alarm for 5.55am, so that I'm up and awake for the exit-poll announcement. Then I'll head into work, not to actually work because my business is closed tomorrow, but to use the kitchen for some baking as it has lovely big ovens. Will crack on with my christmas baking while listening to the bbc coverage. Got stollen to make first, if I finish that I will get on with the mince pies.

To be honest, how exciting the night is largely depends on the result. If its a solid tory majority its not going to be that great. You'll get an hour of shock/panic/celebration, then after that it will get stale. As bad as I think it would be for the country.. if the exit poll predicts a narrow hung parliment - that's an exiciting night where every result matters. If it predicts a labour majority that would just be comical beyond belief considering how unlikely it seems.
Interestingly, Sky News have John Bercow on their panel tonight, should be fun.

I will be channel-surfing, but I also like to listen to radio coverage on various networks, LBC and Radio 4 both do enjoyable coverage.
A Labour majority will be a good Christmas present for me. :biggrin:

Vote Labour for the many and not the few.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Interestingly, Sky News have John Bercow on their panel tonight, should be fun.

I will be channel-surfing, but I also like to listen to radio coverage on various networks, LBC and Radio 4 both do enjoyable coverage.

I'll be watching what ever stream some very nice and kind person chooses to illigally upload to youtube. Probably bbc, there have been a few people putting up all of the bbcs political content on youtube this election. Not so much for the other channels.
Stay awake with The Bear™'s Election Special Crossword !!

electionxwd.png
Original post by the bear
Stay awake with The Bear™'s Election Special Crossword !!

electionxwd.png

Props to you for that effort 👏🏽
Original post by RazzzBerries
Props to you for that effort 👏🏽

:hat2:

i hope you get enjoyment
It’s interesting in particular for my constituency, as our MP left Labour for Change UK. Both he and the prospective new Labour MP are standing today so I’m interested to see where my community’s loyalty lies. 👀
Original post by RazzzBerries
It’s interesting in particular for my constituency, as our MP left Labour for Change UK. Both he and the prospective new Labour MP are standing today so I’m interested to see where my community’s loyalty lies. 👀

Which const. is that RazzzB?

I am faced with a boringly solid Labour MP (she's a good one though) and no marginal to vote in, sigh.

I am faced with a boringly solid Labour MP (she's a good one though) and no marginal to vote in, sigh.

Please keep her in the job.

I’ll PM you!

Ahh that’s unfortunate :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest