how to get into accounting/finance jobs with no experience? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, i really want to work in either an accounting or finance role and i have for a few years now but i don't have any experience, a degree or know someone who could get me into a role, i'm too old for an apprenticeship as you have to pay for part of it because of government funding, does anyone know where i could get experience, i have looked for volunteering jobs in these areas but there aren't any, the closest is in marketing and communications, thank you
lula7464
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you could contact local accountants and ask if they have any entry level roles that you could apply for. then discuss with them options of working your way up - would they then sponsor you doing a short course to then work for them for 5yrs etc or something like that?
is there anything like citizens advice where you could get some experience (and I think they also give you training).
It sounds like a tough one but with tenacity and by putting yourself forwards (which may feel really uncomfortable at points) you give yourself a strong chance of getting into finance.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi, i really want to work in either an accounting or finance role and i have for a few years now but i don't have any experience, a degree or know someone who could get me into a role, i'm too old for an apprenticeship as you have to pay for part of it because of government funding, does anyone know where i could get experience, i have looked for volunteering jobs in these areas but there aren't any, the closest is in marketing and communications, thank you
What qualifications do you have (plus grades)? Which part of the country are you in?

Where did you hear that you have to pay for part of apprenticeships? Thats not the case - sounds very wrong.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ajj2000)
What qualifications do you have (plus grades)? Which part of the country are you in?

Where did you hear that you have to pay for part of apprenticeships? Thats not the case - sounds very wrong.
I have GCSES all A*/A, A levels at A* A* A and I'm currently in my third and final year of my Biology degree. I'm in Manchester, I have been in contact with recruitment centres who offer the apprenticeships and they have all said that due to my age I would have to fund part of it due to lack of government funding.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lula7464)
you could contact local accountants and ask if they have any entry level roles that you could apply for. then discuss with them options of working your way up - would they then sponsor you doing a short course to then work for them for 5yrs etc or something like that?
is there anything like citizens advice where you could get some experience (and I think they also give you training).
It sounds like a tough one but with tenacity and by putting yourself forwards (which may feel really uncomfortable at points) you give yourself a strong chance of getting into finance.
Thank you I will try to find some accountant firms to get in touch with and hopefully something good will come from it. I'm not sure but I will do a quick google search right now and see if that would be an option for me. Yes that is very true, thank you.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have GCSES all A*/A, A levels at A* A* A and I'm currently in my third and final year of my Biology degree. I'm in Manchester, I have been in contact with recruitment centres who offer the apprenticeships and they have all said that due to my age I would have to fund part of it due to lack of government funding.
I'm a bit bemused. You have really great grades and are doing a great degree. You should be applying for grad schemes amongst other things. Your original post states that you don't have a degree - thats not really the case as you just need to finish it.

What are these 'recruitment centres' which offer apprenticeships? If I were you I'd contact Kaplan and BPP to see if they have any advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (85)
13.14%
1 (86)
13.29%
2 (84)
12.98%
19.17%
22.26%
19.17%

Watched Threads