The Student Room Group

Strings and Equilibrium

For question 7 my answer is incorrect and I dont see why. I get T1 (modulus of elasticity) to be 25.279... and T2 to be 33.57.. but the modulus of elasticity is supposed to be the same for both and its 30N so help please.

http://imgur.com/a/vJHzY56
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
For question 7 my answer is incorrect and I dont see why. I get T1 (modulus of elasticity) to be 25.279... and T2 to be 33.57.. but the modulus of elasticity is supposed to be the same for both and its 30N so help please.

http://imgur.com/a/vJHzY56

There is quite a bit of working involved in this and just resolving vertically is sufficient to determine the modulus of elasticity - which does work out to 30N.

Post your working! It may help to check you have the diagram correct before proceeding with the calculation.
Original post by ghostwalker
There is quite a bit of working involved in this and just resolving vertically is sufficient to determine the modulus of elasticity - which does work out to 30N.

Post your working! It may help to check you have the diagram correct before proceeding with the calculation.

Does no one ever think to scroll down on imgur? Working is there...
Does no one ever think to scroll down on imgur? Working is there...

Nope, never do.

OK, can't see anything wrong of significance. I would say that when they created the question they didn't set it up correctly so that the mass wasn't hanging in equilibrium. The information given is inconsistent - a duff question!

If you just resolve vertically working with the modulus being the same in each string, then you get the desired result.
Original post by ghostwalker
Nope, never do.

OK, can't see anything wrong of significance. I would say that when they created the question they didn't set it up correctly so that the mass wasn't hanging in equilibrium. The information given is inconsistent - a duff question!

If you just resolve vertically working with the modulus being the same in each string, then you get the desired result.

You get 29.997 I think it was? And yeah these books are awful! They're littered with errors
You get 29.997 I think it was? And yeah these books are awful! They're littered with errors

Sounds right.

Quick Reply

Latest