How do you finish exams on time- haven’t finish English or history exams Watch

Helpme7274
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I’m currently doing my mocks and Ive got 25% extra time and I’ve already failed to finish my English lit and language aswell as my history exam. I didn’t know I was this bad with time management but now I’m scared because in class I’m quite good but I’ve not been able to finish so I’m scared I won’t get accepted to sixth form.
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask the teacher to help you give you a preferred time for each question and then practice past papers to stick to those times.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may be writing a lot of irrelevant stuff - have a look at your marked papers to see if lots of it got no marks. If that's the case then you need to work on answering the question and not just writing everything you know about the subject.
English2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In English lit I always gave myself an hour per essay (as I also got extra time). Make sure you write an essay plan to make sure that everything you’re writing is relevant. If you’ve revised properly and know the content, it really shouldn’t be hard to finish an essay. Make sure you do lots of practice questions, plans and essays. You’ll only get quicker if you practice a lot. But honestly the best thing you can do is just learn all the content in depth so in the exam you aren’t wasting time thinking about what the answer is
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Helpme7274)
Hello, I’m currently doing my mocks and Ive got 25% extra time and I’ve already failed to finish my English lit and language aswell as my history exam. I didn’t know I was this bad with time management but now I’m scared because in class I’m quite good but I’ve not been able to finish so I’m scared I won’t get accepted to sixth form.
The way to sort this is to practice writing essays to time. Normally its 45 minutes an essay, so lest say you get an extra 10 mins an essay 55 minutes.

You could do 15-20 min detailed essay plans or 30 min main paragraphs 10 -12 min conclusions.
If you do enough, then the time limit will sort you out. By half way you should be half way in your essay or just under.
Places you should focus is where you sore the highest marks per minuet. Practice will get you there.
Helpme7274
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Ask the teacher to help you give you a preferred time for each question and then practice past papers to stick to those times
She does, but if I move one, I skip it without completing the questions. For example we were meant to do a 10 marker and by the time I was meant to move on I’d only answered a quarter of the question. So I moved on without completing my answer . Thanks for your reply mate
Last edited by Helpme7274; 1 month ago
Helpme7274
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The way to sort this is to practice writing essays to time. Normally its 45 minutes an essay, so lest say you get an extra 10 mins an essay 55 minutes.

You could do 15-20 min detailed essay plans or 30 min main paragraphs 10 -12 min conclusions.
If you do enough, then the time limit will sort you out. By half way you should be half way in your essay or just under.
Places you should focus is where you sore the highest marks per minuet. Practice will get you there.
Hey mate cheers,I appreciate your reply, and would you recommend practicing often?
Helpme7274
Rep:
?
Hey mate cheers,I appreciate your reply, and would you recommend practicing often?
(Original post by 999tigger)

Also mate even if I’m not done within the 55 odd minutes should I move on anyway?
Helpme7274
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You may be writing a lot of irrelevant stuff - have a look at your marked papers to see if lots of it got no marks. If that's the case then you need to work on answering the question and not just writing everything you know about the subject.
Hey mate cheers for the reply, well normally when we do tests in class I normally do quite well (not great by any means tho) and my work is at a good standard and I don’t normally waffle, and just go on.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Also mate even if I’m not done within the 55 odd minutes should I move on anyway?
You just need to be disciplined you write a full essay within the time available.
Once you can write one essay in time its then rinse and repeat 4x.
No excuse for mistiming essays, especially as you have 25% to fall back on.

You need to pace yourself so you finish essay 1,2,3,4 at 25/50/75 and 100% of allocated time.
Helpme7274
Rep:
?
(Original post by English2001)
In English lit I always gave myself an hour per essay (as I also got extra time). Make sure you write an essay plan to make sure that everything you’re writing is relevant. If you’ve revised properly and know the content, it really shouldn’t be hard to finish an essay. Make sure you do lots of practice questions, plans and essays. You’ll only get quicker if you practice a lot. But honestly the best thing you can do is just learn all the content in depth so in the exam you aren’t wasting time thinking about what the answer is
Cheers mate, (sorry don’t know what’s it called) but when they give you a newspaper or some sort of story to read and give you 3 mark and 10 mark questions on it (a01 a02 a03 questions etc) I always run out of time, however I’m okay at doing the articles reviews and most of the other things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (91)
50%
No (91)
50%

Watched Threads