Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was driving past a truvelo camera the other day on the way back from the gym. There was a guy on the other side also, and the camera flashed. Im pretty sure it wasnt me who caused the flash as my TomTom read I was doing 26mph. My question is, when they get the photo how will they know who caused the flash i.e him and not me (!)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Which side of the road were you? Travelo cameras are forward facing (i.e. looking at your side of the road)

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/truvelo.htm

ReputationRep:
    come to think of it, I lie it was a Gatso, or must have been as truvelo's dont flash- it was on his side of the road.

ReputationRep:
    Cameras are only focused on one side of the road, to prevent issues such as yours occuring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Cameras are only focused on one side of the road, to prevent issues such as yours occuring.
    I thought so, I told my parents. Then, I had the whole rant of "you drive too quick" (I dont)..they made me worry a little!

ReputationRep:
    Truvelos do flash, but it's mostly near-infrared so it's harder to see.

The markings on the road give the camera type away. Was there a long series of short graduations like a ruler, or just a pair of very thin lines across the road?

The many short lines are the mark of a Gatso or similar, and will only take a picture of the back of your vehicle. If it flashes at the front of your car, it was probably flashing something else.

Truvelos: the opposite.

However, sometimes one camera covers a speed trap on both sides of the road, and has to be manually turned to face the other side of the road every so often. It may have been that it was facing one way but was receiving speed input from the sensors on the other side of the road. I think this would only apply to Truvelos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    Truvelos do flash, but it's mostly near-infrared so it's harder to see.

The markings on the road give the camera type away. Was there a long series of short graduations like a ruler, or just a pair of very thin lines across the road?

The many short lines are the mark of a Gatso or similar, and will only take a picture of the back of your vehicle. If it flashes at the front of your car, it was probably flashing something else.

Truvelos: the opposite.

However, sometimes one camera covers a speed trap on both sides of the road, and has to be manually turned to face the other side of the road every so often. It may have been that it was facing one way but was receiving speed input from the sensors on the other side of the road. I think this would only apply to Truvelos.
    Wow, impressive. How are you so knowledgable about speed cameras?

ReputationRep:
    this is why single point camera rely on two picturesand the road markings to provide evidence in this kind of scenario

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    Wow, impressive. How are you so knowledgable about speed cameras?
    Years of avoidance.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of them trying to do you both before. A good friend of mine got a ticket through as the person overtaking him was speeding. He only got off it after getting hold of the pictures and the details of the timings (trust me, it was a 2 week battle, the police would not release it until he did a Freedom Of Information act request!) and working out his speed as 28mph. All charges were dropped.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.